• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1954 M221 - new purchase

lpcoating

Thought I'd share a few pictures of the M221 I just bought. Original owner purchased in the late 70's and used on a tree farm. Looks like it was kept in a barn and body is very solid. Water tanks are being removed by former owner before taking possession. Title work was done today.

89876.jpeg89875.jpeg

Guy

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's the rarest of the rare. M221 w/w or M221 wow. They're still out there and it's the 70th anniversary of the very first G749's. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing and if you find the number punched into the right frame behind the right wheel, that's gold for a database one day.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thought I'd share a few pictures of the M221 I just bought. Original owner purchased in the late 70's and used on a tree farm. Looks like it was kept in a barn and body is very solid. Water tanks are being removed by former owner before taking possession. Title work was done today.

View attachment 826808View attachment 826809

Guy
Really Nice Truck!!

I imagine it did a lot of good work for the tree farm when they first got it.
Then the "old guy" who was doing that work maybe aged out and a
diesel pickup truck took its place :-(

You found a really nice piece of hardware!

lpcoating

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking forward to getting it home and cleaning it up. I bought it from the owners son as he has passed away. Interesting how things work out sometimes. My fiancée and I pulled into Walmart in my M151A2. An older gentleman made a comment about it and told me that a local guy had bought a bunch of them in the late 70's. Long story short, they were a 15 minute ride from my house. We tracked the owner's son down and went over and bought some 151 parts. There are around 4 or 5 M211's (and maybe even a dump truck). He has (3) M37's and a M715. The 151's were de-milled and in a pile. They put (3) of those back together. All of these truck are in a pole barn. This one caught my eye and I eventually asked him if he'd sell it.

Guy

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the comments guys. I'm looking forward to getting it home and cleaning it up. I bought it from the owners son as he has passed away. Interesting how things work out sometimes. My fiancée and I pulled into Walmart in my M151A2. An older gentleman made a comment about it and told me that a local guy had bought a bunch of them in the late 70's. Long story short, they were a 15 minute ride from my house. We tracked the owner's son down and went over and bought some 151 parts. There are around 4 or 5 other M221's (and maybe even a dump truck). He has (3) M37's and a M715. The 151's were de-milled and in a pile. They put (3) of those back together. All of these truck are in a pole barn. This one caught my eye and I eventually asked him if he'd sell it.

Guy
Guy,

Heck of a great story and happy to hear that those trucks and parts are "under cover" in a pole barn.
Maybe one day the others will need a new home as well...

A real truck with a third pedal would be a nice addition for my toy truck stable one day.

Tim

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's great that they didn't hack it up to put the tanks on there. Looks very original and very dry. I think I'd clean it up a bit, maybe refresh a few markings and enjoy it as is. Great find.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are around 4 or 5 M211's (and maybe even a dump truck).

Guy
Is that a round nose dump truck maybe? Between the M221 and maybe a M215, it doesn't matter because we rarely get to see events like this so I'm grateful for the share.......and all the detail pics like those short drive-shafts, how they fit the air-paks, 5th wheel attachment, air-lines, e-brake drum. Not that you'd be crawling under it with a camera, but if you do. (y)

:tigger: 1cer grp 216.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks