• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1968 Mack M123A1C 10 ton Tank Transporter

Jeff Lakaszcyck

I had a bit of a surprise in September when some tests revealed I needed a triple bypass surgery ! The recovery is quite lengthy so that put the kabosh to any plans I had to travel to Pennsylvania and work on the 10 ton for the rest of the year. However thanks to John Gott there has been some progress on the truck. My new canvas top and seat covers from WeeBee Webbing/Mike Pizzoferraro came in and John installed them for me. They look and fit great ! Oh, and recovery from the surgery is going well too.

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0647.JPG IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0648.JPG IMG_0650.JPG

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
my brother in law had something similar few years ago. Out of the blue a 4x bypass, but he is doning good now. Important is to take it easy, but do your exercises, don't lay on the couch 3 months but also don't overdo it. Whatever , get well soon and enjoy your life and toys!

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the tips, we are looking into those parts suppliers. Also awaiting the mail man to bring all the books, including the lube spec. We are also hoping to find an M123 hulk someone may be parting out.

Just to be clear, we are not new to OD or big trucks, we both own some big WW2 7-1/2 ton 6x6's (and larger), but this is the first M series truck for both of us.

My two Federal 606 C2 AAF wreckers, and Ken's Biederman F1 AAF tractor, and Reo 50V Navy wrecker.

View attachment 777477 View attachment 777478 View attachment 777479
These fellers like big trucks! Kinda sick isn’t it? 😜

Jeff Lakaszcyck

I had to look all the way back to page 12 to find this thread. There is finally some news to report on the '68 M123A1C. I travelled to Pennsylvania last month to work on the truck and get it ready for the big ATCA truck show in Macungie Father's day weekend. Since most of the paint and assembly was done last year this was going to be a relatively easy week. The main task was to get all the lights installed and working. Last year we got the fenders and grille installed but ran out of time for the wiring. The wires on this truck are in relatively good condition, but the harnesses are a mess, with lots of cut wires and disconnected wires. Still, somehow most everything worked before we disassembled it.

The first job was to get the truck running after it had not been started in over a year. I was afraid the batteries would be dead, but I hit the switch and it started right up. That was easy ! After painting the parking and tail lights it was time to install the front parking light guards. One of the previous owners had welded up the original bolt holes for the guards, so those holes had to be drilled out, including the one inch hole for the harness. Once the guards and lights were installed we just had to plug in the harnesses and we had lights. The hardest part of this was figuring out the military light switch !

IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2206.JPG IMG_2268.JPG

The rear lights were a bit more of a challenge. This truck did not have any tail lights on it when we bought it. The tail lights were mounted on the sander that was removed. To mount the tail lights I had to fabricate brackets for them. After looking at some photos I was able to examine a friend's M123 and make a pattern. However, I discovered that the original brackets were made of much heavier steel than what I planned to use, so my brackets are just cheap repros lol. I'm looking for the real McCoy if anyone has any. However, everything looks good installed.

IMG_2262.JPG IMG_2263.JPG IMG_2269.JPG

After wiring the tail lights I had lights and turn signals. But when the sander was on the truck the brake lights were separate from the tail lights, so the brake light signal did not come through the turn signal circuit like it should have. The wire from the brake light switch ran directly to the brake lights. So I ran a wire from the brake light switch (all the way at the rear of the truck) to the turn signal switch on the steering column. Now I had brake lights, er well only the left one worked, but both turn signals work, and the brake lights get their power thru the turn signal circuit., or they are supposed to. So both brake lights should work, but they don't. I decided this was something I could troubleshoot later.

I had the truck hauled to the show in Macungie and had a great time there. I got several nice compliments on the truck. However the Wheels of Liberation Collection where I have been storing the truck is moving, so I lost my covered storage. I am looking for a reasonable ride from Gettysburg PA to Mims, Florida for the truck.

Mack 1968 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 George Marsh Macungie 2022 FB.jpg Mack 1968 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 Jeremy D. George Macungie 2022 FB 2.jpg Mack 1968 M123A1C 10 ton 6x6 Stephen Robson Macungie 2022 FB.jpg IMG_2843.JPG

Another Ahab

I am looking for a reasonable ride from Gettysburg PA to Mims, Florida for the truck.

View attachment 872470
Man, Jeff Lakaszcyck, that tractor is a beastly BEAUT!!

Wonder if a rail option (riding some flatbedd that might otherwise roll empty), is a reasonable cost option?

Don't have a clue though how to find that out. Google "rail freight"?

Dirt71

Jeff, you just got to duel the rear's out....they just make the 10 Ton what it is...and that's Bad Ass!! If your still looking for someone to transport your 10 Ton give Ray Patton a call 276-733-7637 he moved every 10 ton I ever owned but the M125A1 Cummins I have now....great guy and fun to deal with.

Attachments

Jeff Lakaszcyck

The 10 ton is finally home. It was three years ago that this truck was bought in New Hampshire, then moved to Connecticut, then another move to New Oxford, PA, moved again to Gettysburg, and now, finally, home to Florida. It needs some work but it will have to wait in line behind some other projects. At least it will now get more love than just a few weeks a year. Welcome to the fleet !

IMG_3068.JPG IMG_3069.JPG IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3078.JPG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks