• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1970 M35A2 White LD465 problem

bprzyw

Hi all. Currently have a 1970 M35A2, owned her about 25 years now..... have not ran it in a year and a half. Went thru post inspections, checked all fluids, filters (removed mice nest in air filter) put 25 gallons fresh diesel, 2 refurb group 31 deep cycle marine exide batteries, and presto, purred like a kitten. Pulled her out of the barn. Flushed and refilled brakes with Dot 5, bled all lines. Took her for a bit of a ride today, maybe 2 miles on my property, let it idle in driveway while checking / rechecking tire pressure. Noticed white smoke from engine, quickly turned her off. now there is oil and steam (?) blowing from the passenger side behind the air cleaner canister up under the intake assembly. Seems like a air hose. just in one spot, is there a freeze plug there? Sounded like steam blowing, smelled like antifreeze.....But also oil all over that side. It has a White LD 465 (on engine tag) Multifuel. Common issue? or something major? I had thought head gasket, but its coming out of a round hole, i could feel it, but could not touch the engine as it was HOT. Help please.
Thanks
Bernie

bprzyw

Thanks, they must be the small ones. I'd like to thank you for that link. :( I am sure it will help. It sure looks like an evil job, but a job that needs to get done none the less. Wish me luck. i will try to post pics. Probably start tearing down tomorrow. Crap this sucks. Ooh, can i add a turbo to that engine? as it is turboless now.
Thanks

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, they must be the small ones. I'd like to thank you for that link. :( I am sure it will help. It sure looks like an evil job, but a job that needs to get done none the less. Wish me luck. i will try to post pics. Probably start tearing down tomorrow. Crap this sucks. Ooh, can i add a turbo to that engine? as it is turboless now.
Thanks
Sure you can. Parts vendors and your friendly internet auction site carry "turbo kits", which is all the hardware you need, minus the turbo. You need to adjust the fuel after you did that.

Here is some more head gasket info: read up on tools required and new style vs old style gasket. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?48620-Head-gasket-repair-walk-through

bprzyw

Gaskets needed for White LD-465-1c.......1970 M35A2.........non-turbo..........newer style head gaskets (with built in fire ring) , intake manifold, exhaust manifold, and exhaust manifold to pipe, and if you have all, all expansion plugs.
Anything else I might need to replace expansion plugs?
Thanks

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure.
Just for ideas: made mine using a 7/8" socket, cut in two, plus some MF "left over" parts... Tested OK to 175 ft.lb and doesn't need any torque value conversion...:wink:

G.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks