• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1971 M35A or 2001 M35A3?? Need opinions!

jtrimmell

Hey guys I'm pretty new to the military truck scene as far as ownership but have been around a bunch of them. I have a few questions or words of advise if you will. I found a 71 M35a with roughly 8,900 miles, front winch, troop seats etc. with the handshaker tranny and I found a 2001 M35A3 with 4,300 miles that looks as new as one I have ever seen! I know that the 2001 has CTIS, Allison Auto, Electric Wipers and all the other newer goodies. The truck will mainly be used for playing around in at the lake, hauling the toys the sand, goofing off in the snow/pulling people out all winter like I usually do anyways and just driving around and having fun in! I know some of the pros and cons between them and some of the major conveniences. NOW heres the big question.

1971 M35A $4,300.

2001 M35A3 $9,500.

What would be more fun? An older one and what would be more practical as far as reliability. I by no means plan on thrashing the thing and breaking a bunch of stuff. Should I just spend the extra money and buy the basically new one with all the modern conveniences or would the older "Rambo" style be more fun/easier to work on. Thanks guys!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't wait to hear the comments on this one...............

I say this only because you obviously didn't search this site first before posting. :)

There are dozens of threads asking the same question.

jtrimmell

I can't wait to hear the comments on this one...............

I say this only because you obviously didn't search this site first before posting. :)

There are dozens of threads asking the same question.
FUNNY you say that because I have been lurking this site for the last year and a half! How else do you think I learned as much as I have about them? In case you didn't READ I was asking for personal ADVISE like what do you think I SHOULD do. I know most of the major differences and everything between the two but I was asking for ADVISE.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been lurking this site for the last year and a half! How else do you think I learned as much as I have about them?
but have been around a bunch of them

So, which one is it, you have been around them, or you learned what you know from lurking?

jtrimmell

So, which one is it, you have been around them, or you learned what you know from lurking?

Have been around some older units that friends/family owned but have mainly been trying to learn about the newer A2's/A3's and what they have been upgraded with. Was really interested in a bobbed deuce there for awhile but just want to leave it stock or maybe add a set of the Hemtt wheels/ Good Year MVT's.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you understand the differences in the a2 and a3?

Do you have 10k for a toy?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why do you have 3 states listed?

dozer1

Well most of us know a ton of pros and cons of those 2 trucks and if not ya better search and read. Lots of threads and good info. 1 thing stands out for me about the A2 is the ability to push or pull start it. I just like that about a manual trans if all else fails.

jtrimmell

Do you understand the differences in the a2 and a3?

Do you have 10k for a toy?
Yes I know the difference, Auto, CTIS, Electric Wipers ect. I wasn't asking for differences! I was asking for which one do you think would be best for what I am wanting to do! ALL I am wanting is advise from some guys or gals who have past experiences with either of them or have possibly been in my position and what they would recommend for ME. I have read a lot of threads already just looking for advise for which you guys would recommend for ME. Not trying to start a debate here.

And there is three states listed because we have a house in Southeast Kansas, Grand Lake OK, Altus OK, Oklahoma City OK and I have a place I am renting in Orange County California when I am working out there for dads company. I travel a lot.

Thanks...

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why did you resist/criticize SWBradley for mentioning search, yet you thanked 91W350 for searching for you and listing some threads that will help.

Please list one state only.

We are not you or your parents, we can not make up your mind for you.

Unless you have 10K to buy a toy, all this is a mute point.

jtrimmell

Why did you resist/criticize SWBradley for mentioning search, yet you thanked 91W350 for searching for you and listing some threads that will help.Please list one state only.We are not you or your parents, we can not make up your mind for you.Unless you have 10K to buy a toy, all this is a mute point.
When you say something along the lines of I cant wait to see the replys/comments on this one. That's real welcoming. 91W350 just added some info without having that TONE that the new guys always get when you first join a forum almost to call the new guys an idiot! And when I ask for advice about what I should buy based on other peoples past experiences that's because I am new to "military vehicle ownership" and my PARENTS have nothing to do with this decision. Which I have 1 parent by the way my Dad. I was looking for advice and advice only not a debate on which one is better just what you guys would recommend for my first truck. And I have the $10,000 to drop on a truck. I trade diesel trucks every year and buy a new one. I own my own business and run/manage two of my dads.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advise is buy one of each.

and change your location to ONE state.

jtrimmell

My advice is to come see me in OKC and drive one of each so you can decide.
Where are you located in OKC exactly? I wasn't aware of anyone selling them in the OKC area. That was the first place I searched as I am there at least twice a week.

So when exactly does the newbie hasing crap stop? I'll put up with it for awhile