• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1983 M925 What rims should I get

71DeuceAK

Wow, NDTs on an M939? That seems kinda unusual. Did they normally come like that back in the way early days of the M939 series? The ones I've seen that were duals always had GoodYear G177s.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They will bolt right up but, you will need to get the same lug nuts for the rears that the fronts have. You can run the stock lugs but it's not the best option

lindsey97

You need at least 2 HEMTT rims for the steer axle. They provide more negative backspacing which prevents rubbing of the tire on the steering arm when steering full lock to lock. 5 ton combat rims will work, on the front and the rear, but won't allow you to steer quite as short when used on the front axle. Both HEMTT rims and 5 ton combat rims use the same o-ring that seals the wheel halves together.

These trucks have left hand thread lug nuts on the left, and right hand thread lug nuts on the right side. You will need the same lug nuts to complete the rear 2 axle changeover as your steer axle uses originally. Do NOT use thimbles from the rear in place of lug nuts.

lindsey97

FRONT lug nut specs: 1.5" hex, 7/8" thick, 3/4"-16 threads.

Oreilly's part numbers: left: BWP M-125 brand is brake and wheel parts
right: WA07-5020 brand is world american

M9256x6

Thanks Lindsey, I found these.....any idea what brand they are and if they would work? He has them listed as this, but really doesn't know

"New Demountable (2 part) Former Military 20" rims. These rims let you service your tires in the field"

rim.jpgrim2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, NDTs on an M939? That seems kinda unusual. Did they normally come like that back in the way early days of the M939 series? The ones I've seen that were duals always had GoodYear G177s.
To my understanding, part of the ABS upgrade to the M939 fleet was to switch all M939A0s to radial tires, the G177s.

M9256x6

Thanks Lindsey, I found a guy that had these that lives close by, not sure what brand. Do you think these would work.

(His Title) New Demountable (2 part) Former Military 20" rims. These rims let you service your tires in the field.
rim2.jpgrim.jpg

Last edited:

M9256x6

Thanks Lindsey, I found a guy that had these that lives close by, not sure what brand. Do you think these would work.

New Demountable (2 part) Former Military 20" rims. These rims let you service your tires in the field.

lindsey97

Those look like lmtv rims. Just guessing. They aren't hemtt rims. I can't tell from the picture, lmtv rims may not have the same backspacing as hemtt rims. PM member 98G, he helps me out on deciphering rims.

tobyS

New Demountable (2 part) Former Military 20" rims. These rims let you service your tires in the field.
View attachment 655617View attachment 655618
Just to confirm, that is the 11.25" bolt circle, isn't it? I don't think I see a chamfer'ed hole that would be necessary on his stud centered hubs with the front style lug nuts. I have a similar hub centered wheel, but with different backspace.

I like these for the front too with a lot more outside.

Here is my solution, that I haven't installed yet to the stud issue.

Attachments

tobyS

Personally I would only go to the 14.00's on combat rims. Its a huge difference (I've had several of both) and unless you have a purpose for the over-sized single tire 16.00, why not save the expense and have them all nicely reworked, painted and seals with new 14.00 tires?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally I would only go to the 14.00's on combat rims. Its a huge difference (I've had several of both) and unless you have a purpose for the over-sized single tire 16.00, why not save the expense and have them all nicely reworked, painted and seals with new 14.00 tires?
16's are still in use and should be more readily available than the 14's. The other good choice is 395's.

JMHO

tobyS

Just go with hemtt wheels, the offset will be the best and shouldn't rub in turns
Someone with an 809 series changed out the wheels and tires with your 925.

Oops that was 925 that I was replying to!

Last edited: