• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1983 M925 What rims should I get

tobyS

My guess says no. The 939series trucks came originally with 11r20 NDTs.

Does your dash have the ABS light?
Those are 11.00's, NDCC, exactly like my 817 had.

I'm saying I think someone traded them because they wanted the G177's that came off of his 83-84 923(A0) to put on their 809 series. I wanted to make that switch myself onto my 817. It explains why the older tube NDCC tire is on a 923.

You are right about 395's and I didn't know 16.00's were plentiful. I don't think I would want them for a daily driver, but that's just my bad back issue.

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are 11.00's, exactly like my 817 had.

I'm saying I think someone traded them because they wanted the G177's that came off of his 83-84 923(A0) to put on their 809 series. I wanted to make that switch myself onto my 817. It explains why the older tube NDCC tire is on a 923.
The same wheels and tires were also OEM on early 939a0 trucks. I saw some go recently at auction with the NDTs still in place and no ABS. I'm willing to bet this is one of those trucks.

tobyS

The same wheels and tires were also OEM on early 939a0 trucks. I saw some go recently at auction with the NDTs still in place and no ABS. I'm willing to bet this is one of those trucks.
I thought they went away from the NDCC at the model change. It may have been the military that made the change also, to keep their favorite 809 series with new shoes.

And sure, I see your point about the ABS. They could be OEM if no ABS, but with ABS they probably had radial (could have been) changed out.

Would there be an issue using 16.00 without ABS? Or for that matter 395's?

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20161109_112305.jpgMy choice for wheel/tire combo on a truck intended as a toy:

1) hemtt rims and 16's

2) hemtt rims and 395's

3) 5ton combat rims and 395's

4) LMTV rims and 395's

Here's a pic of a truck with 395's.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought they went away from the NDCC at the model change. It may have been the military that made the change also, to keep their favorite 809 series with new shoes.

And sure, I see your point about the ABS. They could be OEM if no ABS, but with ABS they probably had radial (could have been) changed out.

Would there be an issue using 16.00 without ABS? Or for that matter 395's?
If the dash has the ABS, then the truck had G177's at some point.

The lack of ABS is a big deal with any combination of wheels and tires. The way the brakes are proportioned is ideal for a fully loaded truck, but will lock up the rear axles very easily when empty. When the rear locks up the torque converter can't unlock fast enough and it kills the engine. This kills your power steering and jerks the wheel from your hands, frequently overturning the truck. The early 939series trucks were 20% of miles driven, and 70% of fatalities. This is what led to the ABS upgrade in the first place.

I would not own a truck with an MT654 transmission and no ABS.

Edit to emphasize - it isn't the lack of ABS. Many of us learned to drive without ABS. I'm comfortable driving a pickup truck or a class 8 truck without ABS. All it takes is a reasonable amount of skill to control.

The problem is the combination of the MT654 and the lack of ABS. At the moment it locks up, it also jerks the wheel and tries to flip.

Last edited:

M9256x6

I tried sending you a link to the rims I found below, but I guess it wont let it post. Do you have any idea if they would work for me. Do I have M939 or M925?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tried sending you a link to the rims I found below, but I guess it wont let it post. Do you have any idea if they would work for me. Do I have M939 or M925?
The 939series trucks include multiple sub models, of which the M925 is one.

The pictures you posted earlier are MRAP rims. They won't work.

Do you have an ABS light on the dash of your truck, to the right of the key switch and to the left of the fuel guage?

tobyS

You have a M925A0 which is from the family series of M939's. I used 809 series when I referred to the generic series of truck, which was my first dump, an 817. The 809 series (my 817 dump) had the lug type Non Directional Cross Country (NDCC), bias tires. I'll add a picture in another post.

Have you looked to see if it has ABS yet?

Last edited:

tobyS

Here is the older 809 series and this is my dump truck, which is an M817. Notice the tires and wheels. Those are bias tires, not radials and the braking systems are quite different.

Then look at the newer model dump on the trailer. That's an M929A2 which is under the broader heading of the M939 series. It has 14.00 and ABS where the M817 does not.

You may have a rare bird from during the crossover of those series in 1983 and 84. My 817 dump was the last year of that model (1983) and the 925A0 above (the one with dual G177 Goodyear radials) is an 84.

Attachments

Last edited:

71DeuceAK

Wow, interesting to know the M939 series trucks had NDTs before they had ABS retrofitted into them. Now, did the A2s always have singles? I thought I'd read ABS retrofits en masse started in 1999 into these, but that seems really late to me. Can somebody confirm?

Also, come to think of it, the -10 M939 series operator's manual, even the fairly new (revised in like 2004) 8.5X11 reprint I have, depicts the trucks with NDTs. I always thought it was just an error on the illustrator's part though, never knew such a thing existed in real life. I learn something new every day about these trucks...LOL.

tobyS

The A1's started with singles. I don't know when ABS came along, but it seems to be on all of the 939 series. Some early ones may have been reworked from some that didn't have abs (like 98G suggests), but I'm not sure of the timing.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is my understanding that the Navy and USMC M939 trucks did not get ABS, I know of three here in AZ that do not have it.