• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 CUCV transmission.

rustystud

I have a 86 civvy 3/4 ton that I drive a heck of a lot. It has the same transmission (th400). It (the whole drivetrain) is geared rediculously low like the cucv. Like was previously said, you can't feel it shift from 1 to 2 unless you shut up your shotgun, and radio, and really listen (feel) closely. It shifts into 2nd at 15 mph and 3rd at 30. Feather the gas and it will be sooner. All she has is 3 so you will only feel 2 shifts. My top speed is 55 but I only go 45 because it is a 350 gasser and it is wound too tight for my pleasure if I go 55. Not a highway truck. I avoid it like the plague. In my days I have never seen a 400 tranny go out. I did however one time have one that was stuck in 1st for a long time unless you honed it and then it would upshift. Took it to a trans shop and the guy screwed me over and didn't fix it as it only worked for a few days. So one day I deciced to drop the valve body to make sure all the ball bearing check valves were in place to find out the entire valve body was loose. Every bolt! I dropped it anyway to assure the bearings were in place and they were. Put it back together and drove it for nearly ten more years before my son totaled the truck. I have also had plenty of vacuum lines rot, break, come unhooked and always look at this first. Burnt fluid usually leads to slippage (actually slippage leads to burnt fluid) and not once have I seen slippage in a 400. However, not once have I seen a 350 trans not fail with hard work. Only word to me for a th400 is 'bulletproof'. If gov knew to use it for us, this only reinforces my viewpoint as well as all the dragstrip folks I have known over the years.

Hope this helps,
Jim
I've been meaning to respond to your statement about never seeing a TH400 with slippage. The direct clutch and especially the intermediate clutch has high failure rates on this transmission when abused . Out of all the car transmissions I've rebuilt over the years the most frequent ones I've done are the Th350, TH400, Torqueflite 727, and Ford C-6 ( Not in the order of failure rates). People seem to think the TH400 is indestructible, and it can be made into a really fine race, tow transmission but in it's stock form it will break and break bad !

rustystud

Rustystud, is the broken 2-3 shift accumulator cup the reason the truck won't shift into 3rd?
Yes. When the shift valve sends the fluid to the direct clutch it first goes to the accumulator to cushion the shift. Since the accumulator piston is broken the fluid will then dump into the pan never reaching the direct clutches.

Alrighty, I recieved my Hughes racing auto/manual performance valve body kit today. It came with everything I needed to install it. One thing in the kit was a spring for I think was the pressure regulator valve. (Its located and recessed by the gear selector assembly.) It was very hard to reach and wiggle into under the truck so I pushed on the valve and it seemed to operate fine. I decided to leave it in place...

Put the valve body on put fluid in it and....

It shifted from first to second and then to third! WOOOOHOOO! That being celebrated and said, It shifts very late out of first at 25mph, and into third late as well (45mph) and is very quick to downshift. Im happy because I can go above 40 without exploding but its working the engine veryvery hard to get to the shift points. I adjusted the modulator and that changed nothing really.

I put 7qts of fluid in and it reads in the middle of the grid should I add another qt?
Is it possible that not changing the pressure regulator valve spring is making the shift kit malfunction? (Different spring rate?)

thanks for all the help.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Late shifts are probably part of what makes the valve body "racing/performance". I would have fixed the broke piston like rustystud said and gone on with life.

cucvrus

Take it to a reliable transmission shop and be done with it. These are not by far high performance racing machines. I wonder if I can get a performance shift kit for my John Deere back hoe. It shifts way to early.:D:deadhorse:

rsh4364

Just wondering why you went with hughes perf.?They make great trannys,I have one of their TH350 s in my 79 Malibu gasser hotrod,rated for 650hp,and it is so smooth.Im only running 425hp so far ,but great people to deal with.Nice to see that name pop up here.

rustystud

There is no way to adjust the shift points with this valve body. They use special springs and machined valves to achieve specific shift points. Did you tell them it has a slow turning diesel engine in front of this transmission ? with torque at lower RPM's ?
As far as the pressure regulator spring goes. I'm sure it is a stronger spring for more oil pressure. That is one of the first mods you do on the TH400 to beef them up. It will not effect shift points.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks