• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1984 M923 Inner Axle Seal and Retainer Questions

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been working on servicing all the hubs and decided to start with the right front since the inner axle seal was leaking. It wasn't much but after a couple hundred miles I'd have about an ounce of GO in the bottom of the knuckle.

Tear down of the tire, brakes and hub went smoothly. Removal of the washer and seal (NSN 5330-00-145-8355) from the retainer also went smoothly. I left the retainer in place undisturbed since I was only replacing the seal. I found the spindle bushing was heavily worn so I figured the excess movement of the shaft was the cause of the leaking seal, along with the fact that the rubber was not really pliable anymore. I replaced the bushing, installed the new seal in the retainer with a seal driver and installed the washer back in the retainer. Everything looked good so I reassembled everything, to include bearing repack and brake part lube, and took it for a 20 mile drive.

I got back and removed one of the bottom king pin plate bolts and got about a cup of GO out of the knuckle. We'll that's not good...that's worse than before, and with a new seal. So back to the TMs and forum searches to figure out what happened. That didn't help so I tore it back down thinking I missed something.

I test fit the seal to the axle shaft to verify it was correct. I checked the seal surface on the axle to insure it wasn't scarred. I installed a second new seal with silicone around the outer ring to insure it wasn't leaking through on the press fit side. I reassembled everything and went for the same drive. Same thing when I pulled the bolt...cup of oil.

I have the axle vented under the hood with a line and filter so there's no pressure. The GO level is 1/2" below the fill hole so it's not overfilled.

So now I'm at a loss as everything seems to be properly installed. This has become a little aggrevating for something so simple, given the amount of work involved to get to it. I do know my way around axles and seals so this isn't something new to me. So a few questions...

Am I missing something simple?

Does the retainer need to be removed to replace the seal? If so, why? The seals went in fine without the retainer removed. I have a bunch of these seals so I don't forsee buying a seal/retainer assembly.

In the pictures below, which side of the seal should be facing out when installed? The first picture shows the way I have it installed. The second picture is facing the inside of the housing. The only side giving access to the tension spring and seam for the outer metal ring are in the second picture if that helps. I installed it the same as the original but that doesn't mean the original was installed backwards. The work package I've been referencing in the TMs only shows retainer assembly replacement, but not independent seal replacement.

20150829_185418.jpg

20150829_185432.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated.

Amer-team

Did you ever get resolve on this? This is my first time on this project, M923. I have everything off and ready to pull the axel out, so have not looked at the inner axel seal yet. But since it is down this far, I figure it had better be replace to. Reason for this job is that the inner wheel bearing was toast. Thank you for thoughts on this project. When this one gets done, have an M923A2 that needs some attention.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The seal above looks different than mine.
Your seal looks like it is hub to spindle seal. The other is axle shaft to axle housing retainer.

On the Deuce the retainer had to be removed to get to the seal. Could the retainer have been flipped by the last guy? I forget about the 5ton how the retainer is placed in with seal out or inside of the retainer.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Opened up one of mine and like you said the retainer spring is on second side pic. So believe as you said the second pic is GO or wet side. Would make sense for the install tool if one was used. That would also make me think the 5 ton is different and the seal is replaced without removing the retainer. I would put them in dry. Could a bad or worn spindle bushing cause axle wobble enough to cause GO leak?

Attachments

Last edited:

acme66

For what it is worth I have never really been able to keep the gear oil out of that knuckle in any of mine. In the old jeeps we call the grease/gear oil mix knuckle butter. Make sure the rubber seal is properly set unlike the picture above. Do your best to get them in straight without damage, I haven't bothered with a proper seal tool just wood to tap on and take all the time in the world to go round and round until it starts straight. There is an in and an out but here if you have any damage to the seal surface go ahead and pit it in backwards so the lip rides on a smooth part. Yes worn bushings could egg out the seal. I am sure someone is going to jump me on it but unless it is getting out into the brakes then don't sweat it. Grease or oil you are all good as far as the bearings are concerned and heck you will be replacing that axle boot again in a year or two anyway. Do the best you can and roll on brother.

Ken

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks