• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 AM General - engine question

Ashes

Hi folks! New to the community here. I must say, WOW what a wealth of info.

In a couple weeks I will be going to inspect and hopefully pickup a Deuce at Fort Pickett for my Fire Department. The only info I received so far is the truck is a 1986 AM General, super singles, no winch and it has a Cummins 250. I should be getting more info over the next week.

My first of many questions; Did deuces come with a Cummins 250? I thought this was a 5 ton engine.

Thanks!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The NHC 250 is an M809 series 5 ton engine, so one of 2 different scenarios exist:

Your new truck is a 5 ton

or

Your new truck is a deuce and you received erroneous info.

Ashes

Thanks for the quick replies. We plan on going up on the 10th of December. I will document the trip with photos and the mild transformation we will do to the truck once we get it to the station.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I spent 34 years in the Army and can say with certainty:

There is no way to get a 250 Cummins in a deuce.....well not any practical way....too big, too heavy, needs a huge radiator, sheet metal would not work, yada, yada, yada.....I concur with Clinto.

91W350

I am not so sure wreckerman, I think we might be able to stack three or four in the bed of a deuce. A few 250s should do a great job of slowing down the rear tire slippage. :p