• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 AM General - engine question

Ashes

Hi folks! New to the community here. I must say, WOW what a wealth of info.

In a couple weeks I will be going to inspect and hopefully pickup a Deuce at Fort Pickett for my Fire Department. The only info I received so far is the truck is a 1986 AM General, super singles, no winch and it has a Cummins 250. I should be getting more info over the next week.

My first of many questions; Did deuces come with a Cummins 250? I thought this was a 5 ton engine.

Thanks!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The NHC 250 is an M809 series 5 ton engine, so one of 2 different scenarios exist:

Your new truck is a 5 ton

or

Your new truck is a deuce and you received erroneous info.

Ashes

Thanks for the quick replies. We plan on going up on the 10th of December. I will document the trip with photos and the mild transformation we will do to the truck once we get it to the station.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I spent 34 years in the Army and can say with certainty:

There is no way to get a 250 Cummins in a deuce.....well not any practical way....too big, too heavy, needs a huge radiator, sheet metal would not work, yada, yada, yada.....I concur with Clinto.

91W350

I am not so sure wreckerman, I think we might be able to stack three or four in the bed of a deuce. A few 250s should do a great job of slowing down the rear tire slippage. :p

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks