• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 chevy cucv m1008

Davomoto

I have a 1986 chevy cucv m1008 with a 6.2 in it. It has been converted to 12 v. When I bought it it didn't have a starter with it. I bought a 12 v starter for a 1986 chevy k30 with a 6.2. The starter wouldn't engage the flex plate. I had to machine the starter mounting surface to make it work. I have had the truck for 3 years and I'm on my third starter.Is there a starter out there that doesn't need to be machined or is the proper starter for the 12 v application.?

Davomoto

Have you checked the flexplate for any damage?
Thanks for responding. The flex plate is in good shape. It was installed just before I bought the truck. I don't have contact issues. The starters just fail. This time it is the starter drive.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Did you modify all the starters, and why? How was it modified, I do not see a reason to do that unless the wrong starter has been used. The diesel starter is different from the gasoline starter.

Are you using the front starter bracket that goes from the starter to the engine block? Are you using the proper starter bolts for the 6.2 starter, they are not the same as a small or big block Chevrolet?

nyoffroad

First off when the Gov. ordered these they specified that no matter what production year it was made in it would use 1984 parts. I doubt this is the case but GM made a change in flywheels between 84 and 85 for 6.2L, perhaps they did the same with flex plates?
What type of "machining" did you have to do?

LT67

Did you modify all the starters, and why? How was it modified, I do not see a reason to do that unless the wrong starter has been used. The diesel starter is different from the gasoline starter.

Are you using the front starter bracket that goes from the starter to the engine block? Are you using the proper starter bolts for the 6.2 starter, they are not the same as a small or big block Chevrolet?
Not the same bolts if I'm correct

LT67

Thanks for responding. The flex plate is in good shape. It was installed just before I bought the truck. I don't have contact issues. The starters just fail. This time it is the starter drive.
How are your batteries connected? Pos to pos and neg to neg or are they crossed?

Davomoto

Are you using the front starter bracket that goes from the starter to the engine block? Are you using the proper starter bolts for the 6.2 starter, they are not the same as a small or big block Chevrolet? I only modified the first starter. I machined .170 off of the starters mounting surface. I have purchased the starter manufactured for the 1986 chevy k30 with a 6.2 diesel. I reuse the nose cone off of the first starter I machined because none of the starters I purchase will make contact with the flex plate, including any aftermarket gear reduction starter. I am using the bracket supplied but slit at the engine mount bolt hole to compensate for the machine work.

Davomoto

First off when the Gov. ordered these they specified that no matter what production year it was made in it would use 1984 parts. I doubt this is the case but GM made a change in flywheels between 84 and 85 for 6.2L, perhaps they did the same with flex plates?
What type of "machining" did you have to do?
I machined .175 off of the starters mounting surface.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find an original AC Delco 24v starter and have it rebuilt with 12v parts. Be sure to install new bolts and front brace.

Davomoto

Find an original AC Delco 24v starter and have it rebuilt with 12v parts. Be sure to install new bolts and front brace.
I was told that the 12 v and 24 v starters had the same nose cone on them. Is that not true? If that works I'll buy a 24 v starter and rebuild it to 12 v . Thanks.

Davomoto

Nope.

You have a 1984 CUCV M1008.

The Army didn't want the hassle of model year changes, so they required that all CUCVs be built the same. When you need parts, you want 1984 parts, no matter if your truck was built in 84, 85, or 86.
Thank you so much. I had a parts
Nope.

You have a 1984 CUCV M1008.

The Army didn't want the hassle of model year changes, so they required that all CUCVs be built the same. When you need parts, you want 1984 parts, no matter if your truck was built in 84, 85, or 86.
Two days ago an employee at O 'Riellys told me that in 1984 chevrolet did something different with their flywheels but wasn't sure if it pertained to their flex plates. I will definitely look into the differences. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

nyoffroad

Thank you so much. I had a parts

Two days ago an employee at O 'Riellys told me that in 1984 chevrolet did something different with their flywheels but wasn't sure if it pertained to their flex plates. I will definitely look into the differences. Thank you very much.
Hmmn, I thought I brought that up in post #7:) I hope it's that simple!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks