• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M1009 rough shape, but all mine.

TBob

I picked up a rough 1986 M1009, missing batteries, bad radiator, fuel tank removed, busted shroud. I've replaced the batteries, and pulled the radiator. I found an all aluminum radiator that looks like it will work. 3 row instead of 4 though.

1985 Chevrolet Blazer ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR ALL35340X2098-3AA 6.2L V8 379 | All Aluminum Radiator | Chevrolet Auto Parts does this look like correct application? $188 beats $450 to recore mine, at least for now.

Just about to order the shroud and cover from Hillbilly, so that's set. Unfortunately he is out of original sending units, so I'll have to use a stock 3 port (without the siphon) to replace it. The previous owner said it was bad, but after reading, it may just have been a bad ground...he was kind of a poor mechanic, lol.

Might even be running by this weekend!

I have a couple other uestions on what a few things are, or were used for, like the spot on the front of the dash that looks like something was mounted there, and the 2 bars on the side behind the passenger seat. I'm thinking the dash was for a gps unit or something, and the white bars are bus bars for radio equipment?

Thanks, y'all have a great day!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like that radiator will work. Looking at the part number it is a 2098. That is the part number that is listed for the Napa, Oreilly and CarQuest radiators.

cpf240

I have a couple other uestions on what a few things are, or were used for, like the spot on the front of the dash that looks like something was mounted there, and the 2 bars on the side behind the passenger seat. I'm thinking the dash was for a gps unit or something, and the white bars are bus bars for radio equipment?

Thanks, y'all have a great day!
Mount on dash is for a part of the radio, not sure what exactly though. The bars in the back, on the right side of the rear seat are the 24v power buss for the radio equipment that goes on the shelf back there.

Please post pics, the peeps here love the pics!

TBob

Went to grab the camera, but apparently the wife took it to work to show some pictures. I'll grab some shots and post late afternoon, early evening when she gets back...well some, I'm :oops: to show all of the truck :) it's bad...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing you may have to do on the aluminum oil cooler lines is to "lighty" sand the fitting to make it work. Seems like the new radiator fittings are slightly smaller that the originals.

TBob

Went ahead and ordered the radiator from Genesis Auto using a $25 off coupon I found online. Coupon code is for $25 off $185 or more GAPCJ25 is the code if anyone else needs an aluminum radiator for their CUCV at a good price.

ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR - 2098-3AA - Chevrolet Blazer ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR (Qty=1, Price=$188.46)

Subtotal: $188.46
Shipping and Handling: $14.81
Coupon Amount: -$25.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $178.27

That was pretty sweet, can't argue with keeping some dollars in the wallet for other things.

TBob

One thing you may have to do on the aluminum oil cooler lines is to "lighty" sand the fitting to make it work. Seems like the new radiator fittings are slightly smaller that the originals.
Yes, I saw that on the radiator threads here. I debated having it recored until I heard the price, so if I have to lightly hit the flares, it will be ok. Money saved there will be needed elsewhere on the truck :)

TBob

Just received the invoice from Hillbilly Wizard for the shroud and cover... $50 + shipping. Considering every yard around here no longer has any pre 95 vehicles, it was a deal.

John is a good guy to talk to over at Hillbilly Wizard, but I'm sure everyone here already knows about his parts!

TBob

Ok, you wanted to see it...sorry for the quality of pics.

Ashtray doesn't stay closed, glove box falls out when opened because the mounting strip is torn off, spaghetti wires under the dash...many cut wires hanging, probably from the radio he had in there since there are speakers on the floor in back.

Gun mounts still in there, though one is missing the handle. No radio shelf, just the buss. Absolutely disgusting dash cracks and holes, windshield o passenger side cracked. Body rot.....so, you see why I said it's embarrassing :) It's a rough beginning, but it is a beginning.

Oh, it also seems to be missing the slave receptacle and wiring.

Attachments

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One the UP SIDE, it appears the seats are in good shape.
I will concur that some of the wiring is ... umm... not factory installed as it were.

Finding and installing a Nato Slave plug is fairly easy.

It appears to be missing the battery hold down frames.

Drivers side rocker is rotted and needs to be replaced, common on these trucks. I need to deal with mine, but have not had the time yet.

Over all it looks like a great 'starting point'

seems like you did quite well

what was the mileage?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen alot worse. I have a M1009 that looks like swiss cheese.

All the major parts are there.

forest522

Hey, not bad! You had us prepared for a total nightmare. Good interior, no major rust holes or broken glass (really pricey).

Bright side is now you'll have solid wiring and a new radiator 'cause you're gonna fix it yourself!

TBob

Hey, not bad! You had us prepared for a total nightmare. Good interior, no major rust holes or broken glass (really pricey).

Bright side is now you'll have solid wiring and a new radiator 'cause you're gonna fix it yourself!
I'm busy perusing the TMs on the wiring...I'll probably need some help because reading schematics may not be my thing :)
My stuff from Hillbilly Wizard show delivery the 25th, so this weekend the first part of the saga will get done. I'll post some pics of the radiator, shroud and cover as I receive them.

TBob

It gets better and better, doesn't it... :)
These 4 wires (2 dark grey, 1 light grey, 1 green) come into the cab and go nowhere....hmmm. The green one goes to some point under the front battery tray. The 5th brown wire (right side in pic) is connected somewhere up under the dash, but just hanging.

Pulled the carpet back, and imagine that, holes! I'll pull the carpet he put in and check the rest, but it looks like floor pan replacement, eh?

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey I have one that looks simular.

I'm thinking the wires are add ons. See if you can find where they go. Not much wiring on the CUCVs so they should stand out.

The printing on the wires look like regular electrical wire.

On a side note. When you get to the point of fixing things, the glovebox insert and ashtray spring are available.:)

Last edited:

TBob

Hey I have one that looks simular.

I'm thinking the wires are add ons. See if you can find where they go. Not much wiring on the CUCVs so they should stand out.

The printing on the wires look like regular electrical wire.

On a side note. When you get to the point of fixing things, the glovebox insert and ashtray spring are available.:)

You were absolutely correct, the wires were all deadheaded on both ends. Getting them out sure cleaned things up.

Yeah, those will be probably 2 of the simplest fixes :)

Here is a shot of the data plate, there is also a metal sticker above it that reads "Property of Searcy County" with a number stamped into it, looks like military, retired to county, then the guy I got it from, then to me.

Wow that's a crappy pic I took

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks