• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1986 M998 HMMWV Dead Rear End

Phoenix77

Recently my 1986 M998 converted itself to front wheel drive only. Even in "HL", which is supposed to lock the rear diff (right?).

I have recently replaced 3 of 4 half shafts and none of them were broken (hindsight).

I jacked the rear end up, chocked the front, put it in gear, and gave a little throttle to see if the rear wheels would turn.

Nothing.

I can turn the rear drive shaft with my hand about 1/2 turn, and the front shaft moves too, so I don't think it is the T case.

Thoughts? 🤔

Thanks

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you say the rear wheels will not turn are you saying the engine will rev or does it seem like something is locked?, HL does lock the differential in the transfer case, so far everything you are describing sounds like a transfer case issue, but we will need more info, if you put the transfer case in neutral can you turn the drive shaft?
The first thing I think I would do is pull the inspection cover on the rear end, easy enough to do, any oil leaking out anywhere?
Does the transfer case seem to be shifting correctly, low range?

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So simple. Put it in H rev it and look underneath to see what is and is not spinning.

Phoenix77

I revved the engine, the front wheels were ready to go, but the rear did nothing. I have had this thing see-sawed on a dirt mound and seen the rear wheels spin, trying to autocrawl.

In neutral, I can rotate the driveshaft easily.

I noticed grease by the driver's rear half-shaft. I just installed this one. Maybe needs tightening?15977094984442542764071802366888.jpg[/QUOTE]

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do this: Put it in H, rev the engine, report back if the driveshaft or either brake rotor or halfshaft is spinning.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I revved the engine, the front wheels were ready to go, but the rear did nothing. I have had this thing see-sawed on a dirt mound and seen the rear wheels spin, trying to autocrawl.

In neutral, I can rotate the driveshaft easily.

I noticed grease by the driver's rear half-shaft. I just installed this one. Maybe needs tightening?View attachment 809336
[/QUOTE]
Some of that greese looks to be from old half shafts, but the grease on the caliper appears to be new and it looks like grease coming out of the new one, looks like the band cut the rubber, still does not explain the issue.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gotcha.

Looking at a replacement rear diff for the M998: is the ratio 2.73 for all M998s?
Not necessarily.
2.73 is for the 4 speed / A2 trucks, 3.08 is the REV and newest gen of trucks, the A0 and A1 should be 2.56. There might or might not be a tag on the differential with the gearing numbers stamped into it.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think you are getting ahead of yourself, you need to actually find the problem, Do not continue to do what you have been doing,,, just replacing parts.
The suggestion to drain the rear dif. is a good one, also removing the inspection cover will give you a clear picture of what IF anything is wrong with the dif.
There is not allot of room for crap to float around in the differential a catastrophic failure of a differential is usually very obvious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks