• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 deuce recovery

OkieM1008morrison

finally decided to bite the bullet on a deuce, so I set my sights on an m35a2c W/W in Roanoke Texas, 10,300 miles. painted flat black which I wasn't to excited about, but I could change the color so no big deal. troop seats and bows removed. and stripper pole added...wow :neutral: the guy I got the deuce from was a piece of work to say the least. he was the second owner of the truck. he bought it from the first owner a sod farm in fort worth Texas. painted it flat black and drove it twice a year to an event called rednecks, and paychecks.......claimed to have never had one problem out of the truck at all. he bought a full set of titan 9.00 20's for it 3 months back. a big plus for me. my buddy Paul [another faithful SS member] and I started our trip back to northeastern Oklahoma, 300 plus miles with a clean smooth trip ahead of us. we thought. we changed the secondary and primary fuel filters before we left. started north on I-35 and 21 miles later we came to a dead halt truck died and wouldn't start up. :???: let it sit for a while and finally it fired back up, I drove it another 15 miles and it died again on I-35. I knew we had a fuel problem. got to the local wal mart parking lot, and found the tank to be almost all UMO with a hint of diesel, only problem was the UMO was not filtered at all. we drained the tank under the wal mart lights and refilled with clean diesel fuel. ran for another 15 miles or so and died again, I am new to canister style filters so I took the primary filter housing off and was amazed to find at least 2 inches of sludge and dirt and who knows what settled in the bottom of the filter. after cleaning it out Paul and I were hoping to be out of the woods, we got back on the road. we made it Ardmore Oklahoma, and it died again. but this time Paul noticed the coolant puking from under the truck:cry:...being 3 in the morning we knew we would haft to wait for the next morning for the parts store to open. found a cheap motel dropped the deuce off at a local trucking yard and hit the hay. I have never been so sore in my life, my arms, shoulders, and chest were sore from wrestling the deuce around on the road. the next morning luckily we found auto zone, napa, and oreilys all pretty close together. we got the lower radiator hose, which ended up being a john deere 4250 radiator hose, to fit and it was available, replaced all the coolant. and both primary and secondary filters. went to bleed the secondary filters and broke the petcock.....:mad: so Paul had a heck of a time getting the petcock to come out, must of been glued in. it was tough. replaced the petcock bled the system and headed north. we kept hoping that whatever was in the tank would eventually filter out with all the filters we had been changing. we'll it never did we made it almost to Purcell and it died again, primary filter was completely clogged. I decided to try plan B, went to oreillys bought three 5 gallon gas tanks and a 12 volt diesel pump, plumbed our own tanks out of the cab, and hooked directly into the IP, seemed like it took hours... but at this point we were exhausted. and wanting to get home to our beds!!got it running off the makeshift system and it never missed a lick on the way home, you had to be quick changing the line between each tank in the cab, but the 12 volt pump would prime it, and it would pick full speed back up. we ended up stopping quite a lot to get diesel but it made it nice because you could take a break from driving. I have learned a lot already even though ive only owned my deuce 4 days. and I can honestly say im proud of it its an awesome machine. plans this week include dropping the tank cleaning it out and possibly coating the inside to ensure a clean system no matter what. I want to thank my buddy Paul without him I would have never made the trip. thank you guys for posting about the m35"S its what made me want one so bad!roll on.jpgfuel setup.jpglower radiator hose.jpg12 volt pump setup.jpg
1971 duece.jpgduece dash.jpgprimary oil filter.jpgduece.jpg

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey we need pictures of the stripper pole. . . .

Really surprised the IP didn't take a nap on you!

Good job getting her home!

OkieM1008morrison

i'll try to get some pics of the stripper pole tomorrow, before I left with the truck he had to clean out 5 to 10 bras and some bud light that was as hot as the texas sun rolling around in the floor board. the bras were from some big ol cows...

OkieM1008morrison

I started cleaning out the tank today, drained all the diesel and oil remnants...and rust. any good advice on cleaning out the tank? should I do an in tank coating? its not super scaly or rusty. but does need a good cleaning at the very least.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
SWEET, I love to hear good road trip stories like this! Glad you made it back with some "good 'ole boy" ingenuity. More pics are a must after some shut-eye.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go aluminum you will need a fuel pump. My bobber runs a 24v frame mounted.
A dual brake truck, cool!
A dual brake truck with a winch, that used to haul wenches, now that's cool. Way to improvise and get her home.
JC

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

What a great write up on your first recovery of a MV, the Green Iron Disease has a firm bite on you now. Your ability to adapt, overcome & persevere shows that this is the truck for you. This takes on a whole new meaning of a,"Pole Truck". Welcome & carry one!

USMC 00-08

You are very welcome. I enjoyed the drive, but it did take me a few days to recover from the 45 hour long trip. That was quite an experience. I wasn't sure I even wanted to touch the stripper pole when we took it down. God only knows what's been on it.:3dAngus:

This is my first time being around an M35 so I definitely learned a lot. M135's are more familiar to me.

Here are some pics from when I was following you home. I enjoyed driving the truck as well.

0815141906.jpg0816141431.jpg0816141436a.jpg0816142334.jpg

OkieM1008morrison

I took the fuel pump out today, looked surprisingly better than I thought. then took the fuel tank out and inspecting the bottom I found caked WMO sludge/rust particles/dirt....evrerywhere. I know the tank is baffeled so im wondering what the rear portion looks like since I cant see the bottom, or inside of that compartment. makes me want a different/new diesel tank even more. I mite try some muratic acid in the tank as a last resort to clean it, maybe that will clean all the scale out, oh here is a pic of the stripper/COW polebottom of fuel tank.jpgduece pole.jpgfuel pump.jpgcleaning.jpgfuel tank1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks