• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1987 deuce recovery

OkieM1008morrison

That's a bummer I was hoping to find out where the truck originally came from and any info on what it's job was or where it was attached. Makes me feel even more confident about my truck purchase, I got a great deal

OkieM1008morrison

found this tag today inside of my glovebox,, good to know it was rustproofed in 87 when it was new. probably why the truck has not one spot of rust on the whole thing. is there any way to find out where this truck came from or any info? I know its probably a longshot!?rust proof.jpg

FloridaAKM

That was my problem when I bought my Deuce that came from Warner Robins AFB; they cut the data plate so as to remove the registration/VIN numbers before sending it to DRMO as they do all their Deuces to demill them. I did as you did & acquired a NOS replacement plate (W/W) to repair the defaced plate problem. Not all AFBs cut the plates, but WR AFB always does for some reason, along with removing the front tow shackles...
An USAF deuce with a complete data plate is a find also. That one must of got overlooked. Most data plates were cut or removed when the AF dispositioned to DMRO. I just got a NOS replacement data plate (W/W) for mine. Soon to be a winch truck.

OkieM1008morrison

tieing up some loose ends today, put on my driver and passenger cab steps...stumps and treelines seem to be a problem for the previous owner, also removed the homemade battery box he made... out of 1x12's and roofing nails. and replaced it with a nice plastic stock replacement, looks great compared to the wood and holds the batterys down a lot better. also installed the fuel gauge mine was non existent when I bought it, nice to know how much fuel you have left. im just glad the wires were still back there and hooked right in no problem. another thing that had me scratching my head was my truck had no slave recept....but it had the cut out there..it just had never been punched out, I thought all MV's had the slave recept!?!? so I just punched out the hole and put the new piece in, I still haft to drill the 4 holes to fasten it to the cab, but that will take no time at all. :-D battery old.jpgslave rect..jpgnew box.jpgfuel gauge.jpgold box.jpg

OkieM1008morrison

started the huge task of prepping for paint, spent 3 hours yesterday with a hotsy hydro-blaster steam cleaner, and a bunch of degreaser, to get the flat black off the deuce. turns out the truck has had 2 coats of paint besides the flat black. it's initial paint was green, then at some point was painted desert storm tan, then the flat black. funny thing Ive noticed, is the inside of the cab has always been green. just the one coat. so today I started the sanding, using 80 grit sandpaper, spent all day sanding on the truck....and I mean all day. it went really well and I was able to get the whole truck done, I planned on using a red donor hard top that I picked up because my original hard top had been jumped on by who knows what, and bent the roof down....as I started sanding on the red hardtop I noticed the rear glass was not centered, so further investigation I found 2 seems where the cut down to make a smaller cab fit a deuce. only problem is, the sliding glass not being in the middle isn't original and would bother me. so I changed my plan I got a 2x4 and a 4 pound sledge and managed to get it almost perfectly smoothed out. I plan on doing some more sanding tomorrow and then shooting a coat of primer, I keep reading on SS PREP IS THE KEY TO A GOOD PAINT JOB!!!!! so that's exactly what im doing. any tips are appreciated. you guys are awesome! anybody looking for a used hard top to fit a!?!?paint prep 3.jpgpaint prep.jpghard top.jpgdesert storm tan.jpgpaint prep 2.jpgpaint prep 4.jpgred top.jpg

OkieM1008morrison

dove in headstrong painting the truck this week, a very laborious job to say the least...3 hours of steam cleaning, 2 days of sanding all the metal, 1 hour of taping all the lights mirrors and glass. 1 day of 3 coats of heavy duty rust resistant primer. 1 full day of shooting the 383 green paint 3 coats, the truck turned out great, totally changed the look and feel I think. had someone tell me it couldn't be the same truck. I am by no means a pro and I am learning as I go. but I love the way it turned out, had a little inspiration to get it done in time for our city's annual pioneer parade....and I made it!!! also had a good friend tell me sunday theres no way you can get it done by then!! I stopped working on it at 10:30 last night but I made it, hard work pays off, special thanks to my beautiful wife bringing me dinner on the run. still haft to get the camo finished on the truck, but I am proud of what I got done.new duece paint 1.jpgtruck paint.jpgnew duece paint 2.jpgnew paint duece.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks