• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1989 am general humvee need advice

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If 18K is your budget then 10K should be for the car, 1K for titling and insurance, and 7K for repairs and upgrades and rainy day expenditures.

Glad you're making a rational decision.

T

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't want advice, you want bobble heads agreeing with the path you are already on. That price seems high for a truck that has no REAL redeeming value beyond a little bit of paint and such. Go buy the ones like 98G showed on Gov Planet. AC, 6.5 GEP and overdrive tranny already in. Clean paper and an Iron Clad Guarantee. The ONLY advantage I see is timeliness, as there won't be an EUC wait. But that is a small premium to pay for such a vastly different vehicle choice. Those sales work for the uninformed who don't realize their options.

Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

nspctr1

I bought my 998 a few months ago. It was titled in Wisconsin and legal for street use. I researched the title /registration process here in Tx and was told the title will xfer easily by the DMV. I got the paper work together and went to have it inspected. Went to countless inspection stations and not one of them would touch it. Every excuse from no safety features installed to its not street legal. It's got everything required to be legal. Can't get it registered or titled here w/o inspection. Ended up having to have it registered as historic military vehicle to get away from inspection. As far as insurance , Hagarty is the only company I found that would insure it at a reasonable rate. Good luck

nspctr1

For me, none really. I won't drive it over a thousand miles a year. No inspection required. Only supposed to drive it to mtgs, for repair or club related events. I'm a member of a local 4WD club but I do drive it for other reasons.

WalterMitty

From the very quick look video, it looks pretty good to me (other than the flat looking rear passenger tire). Many mention all these great deals, but you have to compare apples to apples and then factor in your own unique circumstances. There are dozens on GP and other sites that are $10k or even less, but really look at them. Many of them require a lot of TLC and expensive parts. Then if your own circumstances are that you don't have the time, tools or no-how to make repairs...$18K doesn't seem terrible. Offer the guy $15K and see what he says.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the very quick look video, it looks pretty good to me (other than the flat looking rear passenger tire). Many mention all these great deals, but you have to compare apples to apples and then factor in your own unique circumstances. There are dozens on GP and other sites that are $10k or even less, but really look at them. Many of them require a lot of TLC and expensive parts. Then if your own circumstances are that you don't have the time, tools or no-how to make repairs...s.
Yes, always compare total cost to "in your driveway in running condition with a clean title and tags".

At that pricepoint, I'd have one of the M1123s with a nonbranded, non grey area title. Then the only title headache to have would be if the government changes the rules.

The truck in question has the title headache of an audit revealing the creative titling, resulting in revocation.

As to the $18k price, what does it offer that the $16.5k GP M1123 doesn't? Note that the GP truck failed to sell at $16.5k, so it could certainly have been won for the opening bid...

98G
Not responsible for advice not taken....

Last edited:

WalterMitty

Yes, always compare total cost to "in your driveway in running condition with a clean title and tags".At that pricepoint, I'd have one of the M1123s with a nonbranded, non grey area title. Then the only title headache to have would be if the government changes the rules. The truck in question has the title headache of an audit revealing the creative titling, resulting in revocation. As to the $18k price, what does it offer that the $16.5k GP M1123 doesn't? Note that the GP truck failed to sell at $16.5k, so it could certainly have been won for the opening bid...98GNot responsible for advice not taken....
The truck in question has the title headache? Where's that? There has been a lot alleged but I didn't see any real title issue verified. I don't see where you're getting a non grey area title at this price either.What does it offer that the pic of the GP doesn't? Roof, doors, and probably a laundry list of other items. Since the auction has closed, you can't read whether or not the thing even starts, runs, etc.

Wrbrackett

I really appreciate everyone's help and input.i have learned a lot in a short time.
The reason I was looking for something complete as possible is I don't have the time or know how to do the repairs myself.
The original one I was looking at caught my Eye for a few reasons
1.it looked pretty complete for the price.
2.bullet motor sports has a perfect 300transactiobs on eBay.
3.the person that is selling it now I spoke to seemed old school very honest and also has perfect feedback on eBay.
I posted on this forum to learn and get advice.
Thanks again it didn't sell at
18k on eBay this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wrbrackett

I called bullet motor sports and they told me transferring the title and registering the humvee in nh shouldn't be s problem.they did advise me to review this with my local DMV to ensure it wouldn't be a issue.

Wrbrackett

They also told me they would be happy to send me any copies of the titles of there humvees for sale.so I can show my local DMV.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck in question has the title headache? Where's that? There has been a lot alleged but I didn't see any real title issue verified. I don't see where you're getting a non grey area title at this price either.What does it offer that the pic of the GP doesn't? Roof, doors, and probably a laundry list of other items. Since the auction has closed, you can't read whether or not the thing even starts, runs, etc.
The GP truck runs and drives. I've sold roofs for $400 and soft doors for $15. The SF97 with the m1123s is not branded as off road only. I'm not a hmmwv expert, but my understanding is that the M1123s have the updated suspension components and better engine and transmission.

Title headache is "potential title headache". The SF97 was branded "off road only" and was then titled in Florida without the off road restriction. Florida has stated an intention to revoke these titles and replace them with branded ones. (When a government agency expresses an intention to cause trouble, I'm inclined to believe them). But there's no certainty of title problems, just as there is no certainty of not having title problems on an M1123. I just think the odds are better on a nonrestricted titled M1123.

These are just my opinions, based on what I've seen, and based on my best guess. This whole post is a game of "Let's Spend Bill''s Money", with the goal of getting the most truck for the least expenditure. Stated goals have been a turn key truck that's legal for use on the road. With those goals in mind and an operating budget of $18k, I think the M1123 with an unrestricted title is the place to start.

Let me reiterate that I still think that the whole issue of hmmwvs on the street has yet to be resolved. I think they'll either be blanket banned or blanket allowed, title status be ****ed. But that's just my best guess also.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The GP truck runs and drives. I've sold roofs for $400 and soft doors for $15. The SF97 with the m1123s is not branded as off road only. I'm not a hmmwv expert, but my understanding is that the M1123s have the updated suspension components and better engine and transmission.

Title headache is "potential title headache". The SF97 was branded "off road only" and was then titled in Florida without the off road restriction. Florida has stated an intention to revoke these titles and replace them with branded ones. (When a government agency expresses an intention to cause trouble, I'm inclined to believe them). But there's no certainty of title problems, just as there is no certainty of not having title problems on an M1123. I just think the odds are better on a nonrestricted titled M1123.

These are just my opinions, based on what I've seen, and based on my best guess. This whole post is a game of "Let's Spend Bill''s Money", with the goal of getting the most truck for the least expenditure. Stated goals have been a turn key truck that's legal for use on the road. With those goals in mind and an operating budget of $18k, I think the M1123 with an unrestricted title is the place to start.

Let me reiterate that I still think that the whole issue of hmmwvs on the street has yet to be resolved. I think they'll either be blanket banned or blanket allowed, title status be ****ed. But that's just my best guess also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks