• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1997 Fermont 803a

Buster1528

Hello everyone I just picked up a 1997 Fermont 803 A 200 hrs she starts and runs great there are no lights lit indicating there is a problem. I plugged a drill in the receptacle and the drill spins slow.

Sgt Mo

Hello everyone I just picked up a 1997 Fermont 803 A 200 hrs she starts and runs great there are no lights lit indicating there is a problem. I plugged a drill in the receptacle and the drill spins slow.
Is your Hz meter on 60 if not your engine rpm could be to low causing the Hz frequency to be low. A frequency based motor would also run slow. Just one possible problem.

Buster1528

View attachment 863533View attachment 863534found a broken wire crimped a new terminal on still no power wires on exciter look burnt. Going to get a ohms meter and check the exciter.
Are you using the TM? It has all the testing info in it.
Yes I have it been going over trying to absorb the information. What should the ohms on the meter be set for? There are different numbers to put the selector on in the ohms section of the meter.

Zed254

Can anyone recommend a good multi meter? Want something good if I am going to spend the money. Suggestions are appreciated.
I've been happy with my Amprobe meters, but I am not an electrician. I bought the AMP-220, AM-570, and AM-510 from this outfit: https://www.tequipment.net/ because they were the best price at the time of purchase. This was several years ago.

I don't recall the prices being this high for the AMP-220 clamp meter and the AM-570. I use the AM-510 the most because it is the one nearest my generator and camper. https://www.tequipment.net/AmprobeAM-510.asp . The AM-570 has a lot of features that I have not yet needed: clearly overkill for a back-up meter. Shop around once you decide which specific meter you are looking for. TE may not be the best price today.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any particular fluke model
I have a very old Fluke 8020 B that still does the job very well. (almost as old as dirt)
Also own a Fluke 117 that is smart enough to figure out what voltage it is reading - to avoid "smoking" it on "higher than expected voltages".
Also have a clamp-on multimeter that I honestly don't know the model for. I believe it is a Greenlee.

AND before you ask (because I would have if I were you) is I have three because one stays in my truck and the other two are at work and home. That way I have no excuse not to have the ability to measure continuity on a wire or part - and the ability to know what voltage I am working on. Everything from little flat watch batteries up to 480 volt AC.

At work, I use it a lot for buck boost transformers when we install new equipment. A lot of things that we have need or specify "odd-ball" voltages and since they spec it (the manufacturers) I do my best to give them that to eliminate the "did you over volt or under volt the device?" question. Definitely would be helpful doing what you are doing now with a generator.

Guyfang

Staff member
Only 3? Hah. I have at least 5, that work. 1-2 more I have not had in my hand for a while. I loved the Fluke 8020. Simple, easy and all the functions you need. THEN, I lucked into the Fluke 8060. First Sandbox War. We needed a hand held that did frequency. I called Fluke. Several weeks later, the Son of John Fluke Sr. flew to Germany and gave my 7 Patriot Battalions 5 Meters apiece, and the one left over, to me. Free of charge. I used that meter from then until a soldier destroyed it in 2010. Fluke is the Rolls Royce of Meters. The Standard issue for the Army was, and is, as far as I know., the Fluke 17+B. Or its follow on model. I have two of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks