• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

#2 MEP 805B oh the joys

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
left one has the broken wire, it wouldnt do anything, no lights, no nothing.

right one, keeps throwing over/under voltage fault light. checked voltage before and after motor control box, and i have correct voltage, 120v on all 3 legs.

My opinion is, fix the broken wire and then start control exchanging parts, specifically the logic box.

I am sure i can bypass all the other switches if I can get the motors to run, oh and i have to buy all new skrews for the top cover, had to drill out almost half of them on both units.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sadly, the screws were always a problem on Air Con.

Your opinion, and my opinion are the same. I would fix the wire and then see if it comes up. Then do the "controlled substitution" trick.

You could jump the over/under relay. Just to see if that's the problem.

MSMOG

Hey 155 - I also just ordered a pressure switch from mouser for my MEP805B. I thought I was getting something with 4 or 5 wires. I ended up with a 3 wire switch. What did they send you? Factory switch appears to be 4 wire. Sorry if this was addressed later in the thread. Any suggestions on making this 3 wire work?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Was not addressed, I ordered one from ebay, I believe it had 4 wires, i dont remember so it must not have been a big deal.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, when we really needed her, she let the smoke out.

One of our neighboring towns had a direct hit from a tornado, was sending this one to keep some coolers at a cheese factory cold, did a prestart ran just fine, called the guy said come get it moved it 100yards, he gets here, I go thru the start up procedure with him and no start, hmmmm, ok, tried another start cycle and smoke rolled from the vent, so at least it happened here and not down there. Today we tear open the box, chasing smoke, the tell tell sign was no dc power light on speed control unit. this is the same genny that we had trouble before with the speed control unit. pulled box, and back plane, speed control unit. ding ding ding winner winner chicken dinner, 2 caps let the smoke out and burned a trace in the process. exactly like this other thread, so i wonder if this is the common fail point. I will attempt a repair, but will order a new one.

IMG_0265[1].JPG

IMG_0264[1].JPG

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It’s called old age. The components are now at their 20+ year level and are going to components heaven.
For those of you who own and operate any of those units, the best suggestion is to maintain these marvelous units is as follows:

Store them indoors / garage the same as you would treat any classical car, don’t treat your Genset like a unwanted stepchild

Replace any at all electrolytic capacitors and check the larger wire wound resistors if they are still within +/- 1% of their name Resistance. Replace them even if their slightly above or below this tolerance and if their rated tolerance is lower like 5% as example

Being a stickler for detail will pay off big time in the long run.

Check all connectors and connections for corrosion

The longer your Genset is exposed to the elements, the more these components deteriorate. This is a exponential function rather then a linear and the reason the Military is disposing them in the first place

Guyfang

Staff member
KISS. Thats what I like about the 005A. BUT, there is always a but, it too is showing its age. I think its easier to fix, and I think if someone comes up with some after market reverse engineering, the 005A will live lots longer then I ever will.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KISS. Thats what I like about the 005A. BUT, there is always a but, it too is showing its age. I think its easier to fix, and I think if someone comes up with some after market reverse engineering, the 005A will live lots longer then I ever will.

I wonder if we can reverse engineer the the 805 with a locking cable, and delete the speed control board.