• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 month old split axle boots

sandcobra164

It's not that bad and I'm happy to hear someone has some black ones. I'd hate to spray paint some off color ones only to have it dry out the silicone.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
So, this is an ancient thread, but after reading about 25 of the old front axle boot threads, I think it's the most appropriate.

My personal truck is due for maintenance and I am going to start putting new boots on my resale trucks.

I do not want zippered boots because I prefer the one piece boots and I believe no one on the forum ever found a zippered boot that would last for more than about 6 months.

The issue with boots is not the clamps being mis-positioned and it's not with people offroading them and tearing them. The issue is with the material not being compatible with grease and rotting almost instantly.

My source for one piece boots no longer can get them (apparently discontinued) so I am looking for a new source of long lasting, one piece Deuce axle boots.

What I'd like from the community is some feedback on where you bought yours, what they were made out of, who the manufacturer was (if you know) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, how long they've been on your truck. That's the biggest thing: We need to know how long they've been exposed to grease and how long they've held up (or high quickly they've failed).

Much thanks

Jeepsinker

I bought one piece black silicone boots from Eriks's and installed them along with new axle seals and kingpin bushings just a couple days before the Louisiana rally and they are holding up good so far. The Chinese made boot clamps suck though. I had to reuse my original inner clamps. I used red axle grease. I think they cost me $35 each when I bought them but I may be off.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought one piece silicone boots from Eriks and they only had green at the time. Used original clamps and GAA grease. Still going strong. The green grows on you :mrgreen:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought one piece black silicone boots from Eriks's and installed them along with new axle seals and kingpin bushings just a couple days before the Louisiana rally and they are holding up good so far. The Chinese made boot clamps suck though. I had to reuse my original inner clamps. I used red axle grease. I think they cost me $35 each when I bought them but I may be off.
When was the LA rally?

I bought one piece silicone boots from Eriks and they only had green at the time. Used original clamps and GAA grease. Still going strong. The green grows on you :mrgreen:
How long have you had them on?

My concern is that if they only last 6 months or so, they're as useless as the zippered ones.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did a complete axle rebuild using the "Step by Step" thread as a guide. I think cleaning out all the old stuff does a lot to insure longevity.

welldigger

I'm running black one piece silicone boots from a local supplier. So far after 2 years they are shockingly still holding up. So dry rot and grease incompatibility don't seem to be an issue.

Now for the bad. My buddy has gone through a couple of boots on his truck but not because of dry rot. The silicone boots have almost no cut or abrasion resistance. Once they get split somehow they fail rapidly. The split will keep traveling until it reaches an edge somewhere. So it's a trade off. I believe red barn customs sells them and if you want p.m me and I will get you in touch with my local supplier.

M-1028

My rubber one piece boots only lasted about 2 weeks. I will never buy the cheapest ones I can find, ever again. The one piece silicone boots from ouverson made it 3 years on my rockcrawlers with no issue. Lesson learned.

rustystud

Silicone boots here too. Bought some from Eriks, last year, still good. Just bought some spares from dealer on the classifieds. Look to be the same as Eriks just much cheaper.

bonedoc

Just found that my passenger side boot is split from axle to knuckle so I'm jumping in this boat as well. I want to do one piece boots as well so any info as to the better supplier/ manufacturer to deal with would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks