• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 month old split axle boots

deathrowdave

I purchased mine from TED's the first one the sipped left town during installation !!! The second set 8 months and both are dry rot cracked and in need of replacement . Would be great to get a set that would last . Would it be possible to install a zipper in the one piece silicone boot? Have a great and safe day,Dave :grd:

MO MV man

I'm in need of zippered boots and was thinking of ordering from Saturn (as well as several other parts for my Deuce).

So there are issues with Saturn boot quality? :(

I do notice a serious price difference between Deuce parts vendors......offshore vs. USA?

I'll gladly pay more money for a longer-lasting, quality boot.
But confirmation of quality before the purchase is a must.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I very recently received a zipper boot from Saturn and tore at the seam by the zipper upon installation. I was not brutal with
the boot. Others from Saturn cracked within a year after install were swelled and like a wet noodle indicating the grease/oil affected
the rubber.

MO MV man

I very recently received a zipper boot from Saturn and tore at the seam by the zipper upon installation. I was not brutal with
the boot. Others from Saturn cracked within a year after install were swelled and like a wet noodle indicating the grease/oil affected
the rubber.
Oh man.....NOT what I wanted to hear.
I'm SO glad this thread came back up!

I was planning on ordering them this evening!
THAT was a close call.

Can anyone vouch for a specific vendor?
I'll pay twice as much as Saturn wants, if it saves me doing the repair over and over and.........

MDSA

I've had my Deuce 3 years and just installed my 3rd boot on the driver's side. Passenger side looks old but is holding steady. Can't remember the first 2 suppliers. I got my last Boot from Eriks surplus. Can't vouch for it's durability yet, but Eriks was highly thought of by others on this sight.

I searched Steel Soldiers for parts suppliers when I saw I needed to install a 3rd boot. (That job gets old but quick.) Eriks came up a lot so I am giving him a try. We shall see.

Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus - Military Vehicle Parts, Industrial and Military Surplus Electronics

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ordered and received zippered axle boots from ODIron. They are made by NewStar (Asia). However, ODIron warranties them for a year. I closely inspected the boots on the truck (army installed) and decided to keep the new ones as spares, at this time, after reading the thread.

I, too, would appreciate information about confirmed sturdy and lasting boots.

DieselBob

I am in the process of doing the the bearings, seals, king pin bushings, brakes and boots on the front of my deuce. Installing the ODIron non-zipper boots. We'll see how long they last. :roll:

littlebob

I ordered and received zippered axle boots from ODIron. They are made by NewStar (Asia). However, ODIron warranties them for a year. I closely inspected the boots on the truck (army installed) and decided to keep the new ones as spares, at this time, after reading the thread.

I, too, would appreciate information about confirmed sturdy and lasting boots.
I got my 1pc ones from OD Iron a couple of years ago and noticed they are
cracked and leaking already and I,ve only put about five miles on it. I'm curious
if anyone has tried thier silicone boots.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Almost all the dealers sell New Star boots. Most of the New Star stuff is pretty good but their zipper boots are junk. I can't speak for the silicone boots because I haven't used them.

When I bought my truck it had a ripped boot on the passenger side. I replaced it with a New Star zipper boot. 6 months later it was ripped and leaking. The funny thing is, the drivers side boot that came on the truck and looks very old is still holding up. That tells me that the military boots are much better than the New Star.

littlebob

Almost all the dealers sell New Star boots. Most of the New Star stuff is pretty good but their zipper boots are junk. I can't speak for the silicone boots because I haven't used them.

When I bought my truck it had a ripped boot on the passenger side. I replaced it with a New Star zipper boot. 6 months later it was ripped and leaking. The funny thing is, the drivers side boot that came on the truck and looks very old is still holding up. That tells me that the military boots are much better than the New Star.
My boots (1pc) that failed were New Star also. If I have to change them this often,
I'll buy zippered next time.

davey8943

Do any specific dealers sell anything other than NewStar zipper boots?

I have a pair of the NewStars in the garage right now waiting to replace a pair of busted, leaking army boots...

How about any of the "non-zipper" boots? Any experience with them?

**EDIT **
LittleBob beat me to the punch... but same question -- non-zippers that are anything but NewStars -- where can I get them?

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The silicone boots are New Star also but I've heard the hold up alot better. I just wish they offered them with a zipper.

poof

Dirty Hippie
HMMM. tomorrow/today.. was going to be my day to do the Boots on the Deuce.. how ever i think,
I will take one of the new boots down to the local sewing lady.. and see if she can make them from Leather.. and give that a Try.. I have relpaced my Zipper boots before and they only lasted 5 months (500 miles) each time.. oil and leather get along as I recall... like seals in my old BB gun and tire pumps..

guess I will work on the mule insted today

Stan

Over the last 18 months I've ordered eight boots. For a M35 and M818. With and w/o zipper, no silicon.

Five from OD Iron, three arrived with defects (small holes) from the manufactoring process. Two lasted approx. six months,
400 miles none offroad. They were both found with splits in them.

One from Memphis Eq. six months , doing OK.

Two I'm installing now from Ted's Truck's in Al.

OD Iron has refunded my purchase cost.

The boot from M/E looked similar to the OD items. The boots from Ted's appear different (not necessarily better). The person I
spoke with at T/T didn't know who the manufactor was.

I'm tired of boots.

Heavysteven

I have the yellow silicon ones on my truck. They are nice. My problem is that one of them tore after 20 mile trip. This could be my fault because I was informed by a friend I should have cut the tightening bolt on the inter clamp off. I have yet to confirm this. The whole process of replacing the boots and seals took 7 hours. I am not looking toward to doing it all again.

There a yellow and I get asked about them ofen. There from OD Iron.

Capt.Marion

Is there another BOOT thread that is more recent?
What is the latest experience with the silicone boots?
We are having a poor experience with Saturn's boots.
Aye, curious minds want to know. Are people still having durability issues with the zippered boots?

I get to change mine next after I get my brakes working again. And when I'm home long enough to work on the truck.

-Capt.Marion

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not a fan of zippered boots at all. I'm switching all mine over to silicone as the rubber ones decay. Did the yellow ones on the M35A2C right before the rally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks