• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2 month old split axle boots

Timberwolf

RE: Boots

I use the Usa6x6 ones on my CJ and my Buggy, havent run them on the Buggy yet,
but went 2 years with alot of rock crawling and cold weather etc on the CJ, with no issues (they were the Thick 1 piece ones they sell)
when i need to replace the ones on the duece, they will get the same.

jasonjc

I've got a set from teds they seem real nice :| they been on the truck 3-4 moths know have not drove much(a few hundred feet)but I will look at tomor and see how they are.

jasonjc

I just when out and looked at them with aflashlight and they look and feel as good as the day I put them on. They been on maybe 4 moths now. no miles thought.and no HOT wheather lots of cold .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
What about the neoprene zipperless boots? Ted Hils has em and I'm seriously thinking about buying them for my truck.
According to ERIKS, rubbertechnology.info: CR (Neoprene rubber) has a very low resistance to mineral oils. :shock:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Called Jay @ Saturn today, told him about it. He seemed a bit surprised about dry rot. I offered to email him some pictures of mine and he said not to bother. He is sending me a replacement, but I have low expectations. If it lasts long enough for Aberdeen, I will be happy and in the meantime, I will look for a higher quality boot.

SierraHotel

Cranetruck,
If you want to do a repair, I can offer you some roofing EPDM (I can tell you what it stands for if you really want, but suffice to say it is sheet rubber). I think what I have is 45 mil thick, but I can get 60 mil thick if you need. I have unreinforced, but can get reinforced as well. I have some tape that is better than adhesives, but can direct you toward the adhesives if you wish. I also have self-adhering, 60 mil thick uncured EPDM. It can be stretched around a three dimensional corner with a heat gun. The key word is stretch…it does thin, but stays watertight. The problem with EPDM is that it swells when in contact with grease and oil products. I understand that neoprene is better with oil products, but is very UV-sensitive. Let me know if you’re interested.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, I thought I would post some pictures....and guess what? The other side is just as bad. I should have known. I am going to call Saturn tomorrow and see if they will replace this one as well.

I don't have anything nice to say right now........ :evil:

I put these on sometime in early September 2006. That would be 5 months ago.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
No date stamps on the packaging or the boots themselves. Came in clear plastic bags, no manufacturer's markings.

littlebob

I've already bought one drivers side zippered boot from Saturn and haven't installed it yet. I have since seen that I need to get one for the other side. I bought the one before I had time to do any research. I wonder if there could be any solvents used in washing that could have caused it . I will follow this thread to see how it comes out. I still have some time before I get to that part of my project and would prefer to do it only once.
littlebob

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I called Saturn today and they said they would throw in another boot with today's order to replace rotted boot #2.

I don't know if it helped that before I mentioned the 2nd boot I had already spent $350 with them.

They do want mine back, supposedly to see what's going on and send back to the manufacturer.

houdel

littlebob said:
I've already bought one drivers side zippered boot from Saturn and haven't installed it yet. I have since seen that I need to get one for the other side. I bought the one before I had time to do any research. I wonder if there could be any solvents used in washing that could have caused it . I will follow this thread to see how it comes out. I still have some time before I get to that part of my project and would prefer to do it only once.
littlebob
Guess what? The boots are the same for either side of the vehicle. The only difference it that on the driver's side the zipper goes toward the front of the vehicle, on the passenger's side the zipper goes toward the rear of the vehicle. Other than that, they are interchangeable!

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
those boots look rotted. I better go have a look at mine. I replaced them last OCT before the grand voyage so they have 2800 miles on them now.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The boots on the xm757 look better! and they are at least ten years old. The images show markings, "TOP" and "oz" also "SPI-2" (on the inside, not pictured).
They were damaged by the grass fire, so I'm not sure how repairable they are after all.

Attachments

Pinkie

I have contacted Saturn in reguards to my boots. They said they would replace them, I asked would it be the same boots? They said yes, they offered to credit my card back and I agreed. I told them I thought all the other products I purchased from them were good products. I guess I am going to Ted's next...

houdel

I've ordered boots from Saturn twice, got a different boot each time. The first one the zipper was only sewed to the boot, the second one the zipper was sewn AND riveted to the boot. Guess it depends on what they have in stock when you buy it. I haven't had a problem with my boots from Saturn, but they've only been on since last summer. Both had metric bolts though, so obviously offshore manufacture.

m139h2otruck

I've bought boots now from Saturn, Memphis and Adirondack and they have all been different. The one I put on the water truck looked like an older US made one, with thicker rubber and a well attached zipper. The 1st spare from Saturn looks offshore, with thinner rubber and a less substantial zipper. The one from Adirondack (picked up on Sunday) is somewhere in between, offshore but better material. We will see soon, as the M-812A1 truck needs at least one now.

desertfox

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there another BOOT thread that is more recent?
What is the latest experience with the silicone boots?
We are having a poor experience with Saturn's boots.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks