• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

20# C02 tank

quickfarms

CO2 gives you more volume for given size bottle. This is due to CO2 being in a liquid form in the tank and there is an expansion factor of about 10 when it is converted to gas.

Do to the gas conversion you can freeze the regulator and the air tool can get so cold you need gloves. You need to use a piston regulator. I run a 10 foot hose connected to the regulator. I have found that during heavy use a quick disconnect on the regulator will leak.

Due to the freezing during heavy use causing condensation you need to oil your air tools more.

Make sure you get the aluminum bottle. The steel ones are way to heavy to carry around.

I purchased my regulators through this company and I get my bottles from the local welding supply

http://www.offroadair.net/

I use one on the work truck to run air tools.

When I bobbed my 72 KJ M35A2, I temporarily replaced the ball-valve and gladhand on the right side of the rear end for a simple quick-connect air coupler. Then a couple months ago, a buddy gave me a HUGE portable air tank about 3 feet long and about 18 inches in diameter. I strapped the tank up under the rear end of the truck and made a simple double-male coupler hose to connect the portable tank to the air system on the truck. I just-over doubled the on-board air volume so now I have no problem running air tools with the engine running and the hand throttle set around 850 to 950 RPM. After I added in the portable tank to the system, I installed another quick-connect coupler to the air valve on the right-side firewall inside the cab so I have somewhere to hook up the air hose and air tools.
:driver:

scottmh

From what I was reading the OBA system doesn't have the volume needed to continually run air tools. You can do like Redbeard did or buy c02 tank and have instant air without having to wait. Some guys use nitrogen but I wouldn't because of the higher pressure it stores at.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From what I was reading the OBA system doesn't have the volume needed to continually run air tools. You can do like Redbeard did or buy c02 tank and have instant air without having to wait. Some guys use nitrogen but I wouldn't because of the higher pressure it stores at.
You can add a portable air pig as well. What are you doing to need to run air tools continuously? I've used the air to change 10 deuce tires with a 1" impact and a pig. I'm slightly familiar with the CO2 systems but curious how long the tank lasts running air tools continuously. I would think that running air tools continuously would deplete the tank fairly quick. Would you carry extra tanks?

I have a 1" impact for tire changes and it requires a half inch hose and volumes of air. Can you get a regulator with a half inch line? Many get by with a 3/4" impact but the big one makes it effortless.

gungearz

I have personally used the oba system on my truck to swap out 11 9.00x20 tires to 11.00x20 tires at a steel soldiers rally... It consisted of using a 3/4" impact gun to remove 36 lug nuts, 24 lugs and a pneumatic bead breaker to break the beads on all 11 tires plus... Filling them up... The trucks oba system kept up just fine but it would be benefital to add a additional tank to up your volume of air in case of an emergency...

Ford Mechanic

A buddy of mine is volunteer fire and he bought one of the fiberglass air tanks that they wear on their backs when they retired a bunch. They have some big compressor that pumps it up to a couple thousand psi! He got a regulator with it and retrofitted it to a air fitting so he can use it to reinflate tires when he comes off the beach. Told me that it will reinflate at least 10 oversized tires from 20 psi.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A buddy of mine is volunteer fire and he bought one of the fiberglass air tanks that they wear on their backs when they retired a bunch. They have some big compressor that pumps it up to a couple thousand psi! He got a regulator with it and retrofitted it to a air fitting so he can use it to reinflate tires when he comes off the beach. Told me that it will reinflate at least 10 oversized tires from 20 psi.
Those are fiberglassed wrapped ALUMINUM SCBA tanks. You'd have to know someone with access to a compressor to fill those. They are most likely 2216psi, but could be 4500psi.

goldneagle

I have used scuba tanks in the past when I lived in NJ. We had a tenant that was a Diving/Marine supplier and refilled the tanks for free. The problem with compressed air is that the tanks do not hold much volume compared to the same size CO2 tanks. Since I had free refills it was not too bad. I mostly used the scuba tanks for air nailers and later for a dust -off gun.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks