• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 CCA worth of new batteries!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you post the details of those batteries? Group size, at least.

QuickSilver

O'Reilly Auto Parts #31-5. 1000 CCA 1130 CA. 36 MO warranty, 18 MO free replacement. From what I understand, they are usually used in tractors. Readily available. They fit just about perfectly between the tabs in the base of the tray, so they are nice and secure. They cost me $109.99 ea.

jvrotter

I've noticed that everyone when thyt change the batteries to civilan that they reuse the same holder. I really don't like the military holder with cici batteries. I move the hold down posts in to the next threaded hole and made a small cross bracket. I feel its much neater and easier to work around.

Attachments

QuickSilver

I've noticed that everyone when thyt change the batteries to civilan that they reuse the same holder. I really don't like the military holder with cici batteries. I move the hold down posts in to the next threaded hole and made a small cross bracket. I feel its much neater and easier to work around.
That looks good. The only other thing that I would point out is that if you use the factory top bracket with a battery of the right width, then the top edges of the battery fit nice and snug inside, so there is no possible way that the battery can move from side to side. I like the way you moved your tie downs in though. I might do that to mine now.

QuickSilver

i got optimas and a rubber bungee cord on it works great just keep an eye on the cord to make sure they dont dry rot
I considered going with Optimas. I have had them before in a couple of Broncos and a Mustang, but gas engines are a different story. I wish they made something Optima like, but with more oomph in the power department.

rhinob

One thing to consider is that the higher the CCA, the thinner and weaker the plates inside the battery. While the amps are nice, the durability should also be a consideration. I usually don't go above 850 CCA's in a large group battery.

Woodsman

I considered going with Optimas. I have had them before in a couple of Broncos and a Mustang, but gas engines are a different story. I wish they made something Optima like, but with more oomph in the power department.
Someone sometime ago on here mentioned Odyssey batteries as an option. I've looked into them, but have not purchased any yet until I finally get a '09. They appear to be a well built battery, but they're not cheap. Just an FYII.

rod

O'Reilly Auto Parts #31-5. 1000 CCA 1130 CA. 36 MO warranty, 18 MO free replacement. From what I understand, they are usually used in tractors. Readily available. They fit just about perfectly between the tabs in the base of the tray, so they are nice and secure. They cost me $109.99 ea.
These are the same ones I put in my M1009 a couple of months ago. They do spin the engine fast.

A couple of weeks ago I bought 2 more of these batteries and put them in my Komatsu D31 dozer. The batteries spin the dozer fast and it cranks after about 1/4 turn.

They are few good batteries.

SGT Estum

My red-top optimas also work incredible. I believe they're 850CCA each. Between them and the rebuilt starter, she starts right up. From what I read, the optimas are more resistant to the vibrations you get with a diesel. They're definitely a bit more on the expensive side, though.

QuickSilver

My red-top optimas also work incredible. I believe they're 850CCA each. Between them and the rebuilt starter, she starts right up. From what I read, the optimas are more resistant to the vibrations you get with a diesel. They're definitely a bit more on the expensive side, though.
That's the same way it's been explained to me. They aren't any more powerful, but they are a lot tougher if you have a rig that gets some abuse.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks