• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2000 mile road trip in an FMTV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All your temps look fine. Ah, the voluntary wardrobe malfunction. Something about Army trucks. I've enjoyed that twice over the years.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you seen or heard the fans come on for the transmission cooler.
Trans cooler fans are operational on this truck. They are not nearly as loud as the engine fan. I only ever heard it running when I stopped for some reason and got out of the cab. Recce01, have you heard it running? It’s the electric fan under the bed.

By the way, you are doing awesome on this trek! I can’t wait to see additional pics and video.

Last edited:

MrsRecce01

Just some guy who had the strength (read speed limiter) to not chase down a car full of Texas girls who showed their appreciation for the M1083 via voluntary wardrobe malfunction.
It's understandable. I may have a possible wardrobe malfunction myself if you bring me home something I can play with sooner than 8 months to a year. 🤔

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know on my 1088 the circuit breaker for the aux fans would trip just from vibration.
I removed it and put in a regular blade car fuse problem solved.

Givinup

Not sure if it works for the 1083 but on the 1088 flipping the electric switch prior to starting should start the aux fans. Next time it's off wait to crank and listen for yours between the frame rails.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Recce01

All your temps look fine. Ah, the voluntary wardrobe malfunction. Something about Army trucks. I've enjoyed that twice over the years.
Thats very good to hear. Do you have a baseline / max for the MTV vehicles? I ask because it was barely 85 degrees if that, and we travel in 100+ degree weather often. It seemed based on my past temp measurements, that the temps were equally hotter than the ambient air was hotter. Crazy to thing about 160 degree hub temps.....

Thank you by the way, I appreciate a little piece of mind :)

Recce01

Trans cooler fans are operational on this truck. They are not nearly as loud as the engine fan. I only ever heard it running when I stopped for some reason and got out of the cab. Recce01, have you heard it running? It’s the electric fan under the bed.

By the way, you are doing awesome on this trek! I can’t wait to see additional pics and video.
Trans cooler fan working, yes sir!

Thanks man! I am glad to have done this, I am really learning this truck. I have some minor things to do to it, the main thing is to get it home tomorrow. I am traveling a little slower, as the center driveline is getting a little worse, but I am getting pretty good at driving around the issues :) You sold me a great truck, and I am very thankful to you and everyone here who has been over the top helpful. I’ll try to get some pics up soon, though truth be told, I have done very little of that, and a lot more being paranoid and measuring the wheels off of it lol. There are a few on my IG @Recce01

Recce01

I think I am done for the day, I am exhausted. I am 10 miles from California on the 40 and about 350 miles from home. I have been experiencing some new noises and have a little fluid checking to do prior to departure tomorrow AM. I have a squeal coming from the engine area, kind of sounds like an idler pulley bearing, it is intermittent. When you let off the throttle it goes away. I figured let it rest, and try again tomorrow. Thanks all for chiming in, I can’t tell you how much it means to me to see your posts, and to feel like you have my back. THANK YOU!!!

68270908-122D-4DCF-AEBD-AA31390F8345.jpg

PS the truck stop is jam packed, so I jumped the curb, drove over 2 dirt big hills and have my own little spot, no flood lights, nice and peaceful!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks