• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2007 S&S A1R has 100amp alternator

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems this had to be a modification? Wiring diagram for A1R I don't see mention of a 100amp option, only the 260. It has all the other A1R stuff (grab handles, insulation, WTEC IV, etc).

20230820_101333.jpg

Third From Texas

Yeah, N1511. Must have had the 260 swapped out.

Bummer.

Should be OK as long as it's running dual batteries (and not quad). Might start keeping an eye out for a 200a just in case (pretty common).

:(

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all of the early one's got it. I know Alex Wilson's truck doesn't have the 260a either. Down at my local reserve unit they are preparing to turn in three A1R's - all around 2005/2006 vintage and they all have 100's. All basic 1078 cargo's. One with winch - still has the 100a. My 2008 A1R has the 260a but that might be due to the van box and all it's additional lighting? By that point all the lighting was LED - except for the 24v interior lights on the van. Those were incandescent 24v aviation bulbs :rolleyes:

I think early on in production it may have depended on which chassis (1078, 1079, 1087, etc) the truck was going to become, and then at some point they all started getting them. Every A1P2 I've worked on has one and now they are standard and recently they sent out a bulletin that all replacement engines (even the 3116's) will come with 260's and all the parts to make it work. They are now fully frustrated and exhausted by all the 100a failures and want them gone. LoL.

It really depends on truck serial number and there are more wiring diagrams for these trucks than you can shake two sticks at. You just haven't discovered the right diagram for that serial number. I would say it's almost certainly stock with the 100a. It's the newer style with the LED VR and AC terminal and the date stamped on the alt also agrees with it being original. I have not seen the 100a with a WTEC IV that I can recall (though I *think* Alex's truck may be equipped like that) but we have seen other variations on parts that went on for as few as ~1900 individual serial numbers which is a tiny number of units out of several hundred thousand built. I've seen lots of A1R's with WTEC III, and lots of them with 100a alts. And we had one posted here without the coil-over shocks even.

Almost any configuration you can think of was built at one time or another or later upgraded at the unit level. Serpentine belt drive upgrades.... eventually we might even see a 3116 with a 260a. It's possible - the part number for this exists.

Last edited:

coachgeo

take a picture of the finned electrical gizmo behind the tire that the heavy wires go to. Post them up in here. Am curious what they put on it. From pics think we can tell If it is an LBCD or a standard Rev. Polarity protection device. 100amps usually only had Reverse Polarity box. Granted if you have the two means to shut off batteries (one on the metal box beside the batts, and one on kick panel...... then you likely have the LBCD

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
take a picture of the finned electrical gizmo behind the tire that the heavy wires go to. Post them up in here. Am curious what they put on it. From pics think we can tell If it is an LBCD or a standard Rev. Polarity protection device. 100amps usually only had Reverse Polarity box. Granted if you have the two means to shut off batteries (one on the metal box beside the batts, and one on kick panel...... then you likely have the LBCD
It has the bayonet plug on the top of it, also has the multiple battery shut off points (physical one beside the battery box, switch driver side kick panel, switch right side of engine bay)

Attachments

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's going to be an LBCD. The PPD went away long before 2007 - LBCD being introduced with the A1's right around 1999-2000. The LBCD was designed specifically because of the 100a alternator limitations. That's really it's only purpose - to protect that tiny alternator against the potential of the huge battery bank pulling too many amps off it. The newer style VR in his picture has the AC terminal that sends RPM data to the LBCD. So he's going to have an LBCD - no question on that.

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To give some insight, most 2005 and some 2006 A1s were upgraded/rebuilt from existing "A0" stock as part of a "buy back" program. A lot of these 2005-06 era trucks with C7 engines aren't A1R status (i.e no coil over suspension, no high pinion diff, etc) but they do have the cab handles, battery disconnect, etc. Most of the 2005's are still WTECIII transmissions too. One of the later changes made for the A1R was making the 200 amp alternator factory stock to resolve other problems as GeneralDiscorder mentioned above.

S&S did some weird stuff. I have two of their original prototypes/demonstration models and two more contract prototypes headings my way. You can see what they were trying to do and sometimes how dead end the item was. Still very neat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks