• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Graves Mountain Virginia Rally - Labor Day Weekend

wbdodgeiv

We will be leaving from Roanoke around 4:30pm on the 2nd due to work commitments. I haven't decided if we are going up 81, 11, or 29. I don't know if anyone is taking a similar route at a similar time, we could convoy up.

wbdodgeiv

The last item on my maintenance list was to simply get an inspection. I went to Rusty Sours place and on my way home my clutch exploded. I was on 11 and lost my transmission completely. Fortunately I was cresting a hill and coasted off the road by a field.

When I opened up the inspection cover, a bunch of die springs fell out...:cry: The clutch should be here in a couple days, I am going to go either tomorrow or Thursday after work and finish pulling the transmission and Saturday hope to install the clutch.

Can someone measure the distance from the back of the cab to the glass? I need to cut down a 4x4 and don't want to get it short. Last time I used a 8' but that won't fit in my car.

Last edited:

wbdodgeiv

I got the truck off the road and back home. I need to rebuild the tranny as the input shaft rattles in its bearing and I couldn't extract the very worn out pilot bushing. I don't see getting all of that done in time, and I don't want to be stranded 150mi from home, we will not be able to go this year and wish you all the best.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear that wbdodgeiv, we'll look for you in the future events...

Only a couple more weeks until the rally, everyone, please be sure to print out the signup form and get it in the mail ASAP, we're going to need them BEFORE the event.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Angie and I will be driving up from SC all the way on 29. It is a nice ride. With a short stop in Reidsville to kidnap Neil, then on to the rally!

CGarbee

Angie and I will be driving up from SC all the way on 29. It is a nice ride. With a short stop in Reidsville to kidnap Neil, then on to the rally!
Good to hear that you are going to grab Neil as you drive up... He and I had a great ride up from Danville last year...

I think that I am going to ride up on Wednesday (or earlier...) so that I can get things like the signs up and the back gate to the field open before folks start to arrive...

I'll have the XM708 on the towbar behind the XM813 for the ride up US15 from Raleigh.

CGarbee

Just thought that I would hop on and remind folks who are comming who have cb's to bring them. After the last couple of years, it looks like they are the most commonly owned radios that we can use for trail comunications.

Meanwhile, other than Ferro's and my routes up to the rally, I'm clueless as to the routes folks are taking to get to the event...

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be there Saturday and most of Friday, but not in the deuce again - can't afford to get it up and running for the rally. Will have to ride along with some others who have wheels.

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have to drop off some stuff for Steve at the Rally, on my way from Indiana to Woodbridge. So if anyone needs any parts, check my classifieds and let me know. PM or email me at pandctrans@gmail.com prior to this Saturday.

CJ9/Granny

We're planning to head out on Thursday morning. We will be taking I-85 to Greensboro, then Hwy 29 all the way. It takes us about six hours to make the trip. I think we will be bringing a little red CJ-5 this time. Looking forward to seeing y'all again! :jumpin:

CGarbee

The trailrides and rally are almost here :)

I'll be on site Wednesday night so that I can put up signage and open some gates before folks start to roll in on Thursday.

Even though the website has a registration deadline on it, you can still drop in and register at the gate (although we won't be able to guarantee that you'll get a shirt...)...

Reports from the area are that neither the earthquake nor the hurricane did much damage, so all we have to do now is cross our fingers for smooth travels for everyone.

It looks like we will be using both PRC-77's and CB's for trail commo... So if you have one or the other (or both), bring them... :)

ranger.41

Cabel,
I'm sorry to say I won't be able to make it this year. I'm hoping to make it next year.
Everybody have a safe and fun time. I'll be looking forward to photos.
ranger.41

CJ9/Granny

Well... we tried. :cry:

We got as far as Danville when my other half yelled, "you need to pull over!" The bug has hit again, and we will miss you folks this year. Cabell, as far as I am concerned, you can hang on to my "dues" for next year. If I kick the bucket before then, consider it a donation toward the better good, and smell the cork one last time for me. :beer:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear so many can't make it this year - combination of bad luck on some folks, and the economy which is really killing a lot of folk's spare cash reserves. It's not just our hobby, it's everywhere, especially any hobby that involves a lot of burning gasoline or diesel.

Will be pulling into the site late Friday, staying until mid-Sunday. With the internet and cellphone blackout in the that area, will be coming back on Sunday with some pics and updates.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks