• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 - PNW Mini Rally 5 - Bridging Truck Recovery

Mini Rally #5 in the PNW - Arlington Heights WA

• Yes I would love to help out on April 30th

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

64c30

Just did a search and it looks like you can have upto 8'6" wide w/out a permit.

8ft 6 in, (102 inches) excluding mirrors and devices to secure load is the max without an oversize permit.

If the tires, hubs, bed, or any other part of the vehicle (except mirrors or load tie downs) exceed 102 inches in width, it's considered to be oversize. As such, it requires a permit issued by WA DOT, and black on yellow oversize banners, front and rear. The black lettering must be of a certain size, 10 inches I believe.

A 3 day Oversize permit costs $20.00, or an annual (1 year) is $240.00.

Oversize vehicles are subject to weather, road, construction, route, time of day and municipality conditions. DOT has a book with needed info.

Just for infos sake, I always added 6 inches to all dimensions (height, length, width) just to be safe from cops that couldn't read a tape measure right when I was doing oversize and heavy hauling. The 6 inches wouldn't apply to the bridge truck.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gosh Scott!
Tanner couldn't even get the whole truck into two pictures. drrrrrofl

Rydel,
135" is what the data plate says, but I think that was with the original dual duals in the rear. Kevin said it was 117" or 119" wide at the bed.

Can any schmoe walk into the DOT and ask for the over-sized load trip ticket?
What type of info do i need to provide, license #, width of vehicle, route travel dates, Driver's license #?

I have seen the banners - really just large plastic crime scene tape with the over-sized markings on them. i do not remember the price.

So what are you doing on the 7-8 of May?:mrgreen: (whoops! just went back and read the birthday post)

Attachments

Last edited:

64c30

Gosh Scott!
Tanner couldn't even get the whole truck into two pictures. drrrrrofl

Rydel,
135" is what the data plate says, but I think that was with the original dual duals in the rear. Kevin said it was 117" or 119" wide at the bed.

Can any schmoe walk into the DOT and ask for the over-sized load trip ticket?
What type of info do i need to provide, license #, width of vehicle, route travel dates, Driver's license #?

I have seen the banners - really just large plastic crime scene tape with the over-sized markings on them. i do not remember the price.

So what are you doing on the 7-8 of May?:mrgreen: (whoops! just went back and read the birthday post)

If you wanted, the width could be reduced by flipping the hubs around and singling the tires.

Yes, anybody can get an Oversize permit. Make sure the truck's road ready, registered, licensed, dates of travel for a 3 day permit, and insured prior to getting the permit. They can be bought at most, but not all WA DOT offices. Call before going to locate purchase site. Be sure to have a CDL and physical before moving. A CDL requires a driving test. The 813 should work for that. Make sure everything's up to snuff. You may need to install a license plate light to pass the inspection before the test. There are some private companies that give the test. If there's s truck driving school over there, they'd know. Also, get the airbrake endorsement, even though military brakes are air over hydraulic. It's always nice to have if needed for something else newer later.

Info needed would be length, width, possibly weight. DOT can tell you what's needed when calling.

As for the physical, many urgent care clinics do them and have the forms. Cost is between $50.00 to $100.00. Again, call around.

Oversize banners can be bought at most truck stops. One of them on 395 at King City should have them.

I suggest installing an amber beacon. Not required, but desirable for safetys sake. Also, a red flag on each corner is desirable due to some cops not really knowing oversize laws.

Hope this helps. Gotta run, work calls.

Last edited:

wsucougarx

That's the biggest thing holding me up on a 5 ton (CDL). Last year they changed the rules and now require schooling for a CDL. They also said it was OK to train on the job with a company that drives. Looked into the class locally and it's a one month class minimum. Someday I'll get that CDL but need to coordinate the logistics with work and such.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rydel,
I am still wondering if the truck is under 26,000 lbs, an thus I do not need a CDL, can I still get an oversized load trip permit? Or for the oversized load permit do I need a CDL?

:lost:

Kevin has singled the truck out with 16.00x20s so now the widest part is the bed at 117" or 119".

wsucougarx

Tony it appears ANY 5 ton MV requires a Class B CDL (M814, M813, M818 etc).
From many conversations with my friends with the WSP, ANYTHING with a Gross Vehicle Weight over 26,001 requires a CDL. I've called the State Dept of Licensing about buyin a M813 or M818. They said it is classified according to GVW not the weight of the vehicle itself. I've brought up about the collector plates and how we're not allowed to carry a load etc. They said it does not matter. If the manufacturer says the truck has a combined weight w/a load over 26,001 lbs then you need a CDL regardless of how it's licensed.

Here's what they have on their website:

Need a CDL:

All single vehicles with a manufacturer’s weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more

Here's the link:
http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/cdlvehicles.html

Last edited:

64c30

Rydel,
I am still wondering if the truck is under 26,000 lbs, an thus I do not need a CDL, can I still get an oversized load trip permit? Or for the oversized load permit do I need a CDL?

:lost:

Kevin has singled the truck out with 16.00x20s so now the widest part is the bed at 117" or 119".

Mike said it best. Over 26,001 or more gross weight capacity as designed by the maker requires a CDL.

Anybody can get an Oversize permit for a specific vehicle over 102 inches wide. Ya just can't drive said vehicle yourself if ya don't have a CDL.

116" or 119" is still Oversize. Even the military is required to have the banners for OS vehicles. Am not sure about the permits.

hwcurtice

Wow, lots of peeps over where I was this past weekend. The Tri-Cities.

Best of luck with this recovery. I'm not sure just when, but I'll be going to get my trailer back from the shop, getting the wiring fixed and some liner sprayed and it undercoated. Sorry, I really detest rust.

If you need a place to store it for a couple days, let me know.

Just don't tell the wife. She won't notice it, right?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harold,
Thanx for the offer.

So do you drive hwy 2 and Steven's Pass towards Levenworth much? How curvy, two lane both ways?

In your opinion, for an old 1954 MV, would you dive the slow and easy turns of the interstate or take the windy slower speed back roads.

hwcurtice

Harold,
Thanx for the offer.

So do you drive hwy 2 and Steven's Pass towards Levenworth much? How curvy, two lane both ways?

In your opinion, for an old 1954 MV, would you dive the slow and easy turns of the interstate or take the windy slower speed back roads.
Actually, I just drove over it both ways this past weekend. I usually drive it a couple times a year. This side, the West Side, may be too steep for that old war horse. I-90 may be easier for it. I might be concerned about I-82 with all the up and downs. There's probably an easier, flatter, way to get there, but I would have to get a map out to check it first.

Just my opinion.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good to know, I respect that opinion.
From Ellensburg to yakima you can take the Yakima canyon/ river road.
it is pretty level until you pull out at the Yakima end.

I sorta feel that getting rid of the stop and go on the HWY and just setting a cruising speed on the interstate is the least stressful on the truck.

Yep! time to get out the google topo.

Thanx

srodocker

If you still need my help let me know. how long of a drive is it there? I may drive over see your toys and maybe my future 6 cab deuce? hahaha then drive back

hwcurtice

It took wife and me about 5 hours to drive over there. Includes a stop in Leavenworth for Brats and sauerkraut. But that's going over Stevens Pass and that ain't ever fast. I-90 would get you there faster.

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Scott,
We are still -SO ON-, stronger than ever.
That is if you want to make the drive over and back.
We will plan more. And if not, there is always a place for you to crash at the Ranch.

OSO

Tony we are not in Arlington Heights , that is another fire district , We are in the town of Oso appx mp 31 for the driveway , the town of Oso is appx mp 32.6 all on hwy WA 530

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks