• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Rocky Mountain Airshow, Denver

70deuce

Colorado Sport International Air Show and Rocky Mountain Regional Fly-In will take place in Denver, August 26-28, 2011 at the Rocky Mountain Metro Airport (BJC) just NW of Denver. The Military Vehicle Collectors of Colorado (MVCC) will have 50+ vehicles and numerous equipment displays there for the weekend. This year we have some vehicles supporting the Tora-Tora-Tora show. Anyone in the area come on by and see us. Here is a link to a promotion article and the airshow. Pictures will follow after the show.

Indy Transponder: ROCKY MOUNTAIN AIRSHOW, WEEKEND LINEUP OF CAN’T MISS AVIATION PERFORMANCES SLATED TO IMPRESS

Home | Colorado Sport Aviation

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there a swap meet? camping? or just an airshow with trucks? What time does it usually end on Sunday?

70deuce

Hndrsonj, a few members put out things to sell, we camp out in our vehicles, trailers or tents but all non-military stuff must be removed from our area by 0800. The show ends around 1600 on Sunday.

mactiredearg

Here are some pix from the airshow. Some of the vehicles are literally museum pieces, but the vast majority belong to MVCC members. More pix and a video to follow...

Attachments

mactiredearg

And finally the video. This was taken from an M274 Mule that we took on a quick spin around the encampment. Two things, its my first youTube attempt so please be kind, and two the back of the Mule was full of MVCC kids so forgive the sound track...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHCQuAQczSE[/media]

Ghostdriver

Awesome job on the video!! I think you got a shot of pretty much everything. What a great time this weekend, loved the company, laughed a lot, got to see some extraordinarily rare machines and some old familiar favorites.

steelandcanvas

It was hard work, but the MVCC pulls off another sucessful Rocky Mountain Airshow. We had alot of fun, watched Stripes (Friday Night) and Hunt for Red October (Saturday Night) in our open air theater. Thanks to Matt for the very well put together movie screen, and Phil M., for accquiring the sound and video system. We ate like high-paid truck drivers courtesy of the MVCC Woman's Auxiliary who fed us breakfast and lunch Saturday and Sunday. A big thanks to Jolly Roger and Old Fart for transporting our thermo-nuclear devices, and Matt and Jeff from the Wings Over the Rockies Museum for lending them to us. Also a thank you is in order for 70Deuce and Mike M., for the mister system they attached to the Club's water buffalo. Oh, I can't forget Ernie C. and his daughter for their very nicely done weapons display. We all had a weekend of good friends, good food, and lots of good laughs! A personal thanks from me to the entire Club, for putting up with my elevated stress level as I was trying to stage vehicles. You Guys and Gals are the BEST!

mactiredearg

Video of loading the M274 Mule into an M105 for transport back to the Museum. Note: the driver is our own steelandcanvas...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAnZiXYWjRQ[/media]

mactiredearg

Last video for here. It is a time lapsed take down of the kitchen trailer that was used for the MVCC breakfasts and lunches for the whole weekend. Luckily with time lapse the commentary (cursing) just becomes background noise... :p

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVQov-tZe-8[/media]

steelandcanvas

I know some of you Guys can put an MKT up, and take one down in your sleep, however if any of the Guys in the video did this more than once, it had been a year since they had last did it.

98taco3

was a **** of a time! The mix between the MVCC guys and re-enactors was great. I think the camp actually got more attention that the static display aircraft, people actually stopped in and asked questions. Cant wait for next year!

Oldfart

Since no one has mentioned the increase in units displayed, I will go on record to report that the MVCC went farther than last year. Instead of one low yield Nuke, this year the club displayed two (count them TWO) 25 Megaton Thermonuclear Bombs. These babies are heavy and those little wheels really spin at 55 MPH.

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With as many people as the MVCC guys have, why not make your own venue? I am just asking, nothing at all negative. I have been to many MV shows around the country and prolly 50 airshows over the last 20 years. It just seems to me that CO could have a standout event (due to location and number of personnel) that wasn't under an airshow. I have seen meets with: swap meets, off road trail rides, on-road rides, camping, and just parking for the high $$ restored older rides. You guys have the potential for it all, without limitations. Again, it's nothing negative. It's kind of (my interpetation). Why not do your own stand alone event? I'll be honest: I was off SUN but couldn't bring myself to go to another airshow 100 miles away-even if there were 50+ vehicles there. I guess I'm curious.
P.S. I do plan on joining the MVCC while stationed here.:beer:

Oldfart

With as many people as the MVCC guys have, why not make your own venue? I am just asking, nothing at all negative. I have been to many MV shows around the country and prolly 50 airshows over the last 20 years. It just seems to me that CO could have a standout event (due to location and number of personnel) that wasn't under an airshow. I have seen meets with: swap meets, off road trail rides, on-road rides, camping, and just parking for the high $$ restored older rides. You guys have the potential for it all, without limitations. Again, it's nothing negative. It's kind of (my interpetation). Why not do your own stand alone event? I'll be honest: I was off SUN but couldn't bring myself to go to another airshow 100 miles away-even if there were 50+ vehicles there. I guess I'm curious.
Interesting thought!

jollyroger

Your proposal of a regional rally has been discussed amongst the MVCC. It is a LARGE undertaking that requires a lot of logistics, planning, support and funding. All things that will be worked out in due time. But it takes time to properly build an event like that.

The airshow in and of itself is a large undertaking. For instance I drove over 300 miles today returning the nukes and other pieces of equipment to their rightful owners. And I am but one person that did something like that out of the many. I do so willingly because the reward is spending good times with great people.

So if you would like to attend a rally then join the club, and be willing to donate time and money to make it happen.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks