• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Wa State Mini Rally #5

Firehound

If I had the $$, I'd be on my way already... but I can drive you down there for some decent conversation and a big-mac... Gives me a good excuse for a road trip! (I'm getting married the 15th, so I'm only available next weekend or the one after the 15th...

Loco_Hosa

I have to comment, this could be SO MUCH WORSE.

When I was driving back from Cali in my Deuce without nearly enough test driving I kept having these terrible images of having to sell my truck to a tow company for the cost of a train ticket to get back.

However, it seems such a shame to let it go.... Id be willing to throw down $50 towards someones fuel to go get it, and drag it back home for you. (Which I know, is not enough)

Still, I started with a rough Deuce and made a 1200 mile recovery on prayer power alone! (And SS good hearts)

I wish my truck had brakes, I would just fill her up with WMO and get your truck. :(

AN/ARC186

So guys, what do you think?
Seems to me the best thing to do is to help this poor ol truck get home,
I'm in for the $100.00 fees, heck, I could spend that on light bulbs.
So who else is gonna donate? time, truck, tow bar,fuel.
think of it as an early Christmas present to a fellow addict....er......member.

Firehound

I've got time, personal fuel costs to bring a crew and equipment down there, and lights for following a convoy down and or back...

Also any local logistics such as picking up tow bar, chains, etc... If it can fit in a suburban and an M101, I cans bring it...

Last edited:

hwcurtice

Seems to me, that this truck is rare enough, being an m45, even without the bed, that is it worth saving from becoming razor blades. Correct me if I am wrong, please.

I wish I had time, money and the equipment to help out. I have no issues, once it gets on this side of the pass, to hold it for the guy, for a couple days, even though he's only another 30 miles away from me. I'd really like to see the reactions of the neighbors just once...

Not to mention the reaction on my wife....

Hammer

I am on the way down the pass (sort of..), so I can store it as well.
I have the tow bar, safety chains, and Aaron an I can rig the lights (or Dan with all his electrical supply...... ;) )

hwcurtice

The rig is in pasco/kennewick area and needs to get slightly north of Seattle from what I can tell...

Granite Falls, WA is about 50+ mile NNE of Seattle.

It's about a 260 mile trip, one way. So far anyone doing this, round trip is going to be double that. Or more depending on your starting point.

I know, duh....

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup!

Starting to get kinda late for a start over tonight. I'm still up for it at this point. I'll monitor the thread for another hour or so.

Idea: Quarkz is close to the tow yard. Maybe he could grab it if the owner just needs time.
I also got an email from Jerry (BadMastard) about this 'tale of woe'!

So I can either help by towing it or driving it to my place in Kennewick.
I can look her over. I have filters, so if that is it, I can make her run.

As for AaronW pulling her across the pass.....bad idea, I didn't even like having to slow down for Matt (varyag) as we climbed the pass on our yearly trip to Napavine :mrgreen:.

But right now I have to go watch Terra Nova and eat dinner.

Little Red

Well you guys are awesome and keep surprising me.
I don’t even know anybody on this site, I did not even ask for any help and now people are even willing to pitch in for fuel costs.

I think that with all the help being offered here I might be able to get her home.
I have gotten a lot off calls on the truck once I posted it on Craigslist, most where low ballers but I have one guy that seems to be really interested in the truck and I already told him I would sell it to him if we could work out the details on how to get the filters changed so he could drive it home.

But if he does not buy it from me I have Friday the 21st and Saturday the 22nd off. (I normally work weekends)
I have enough money for myself to drive to Pasco and back and if somebody is willing and able to tow the deuce from Pasco to Granite Falls that weekend, this might work.

rolling18

i must agree!! i have never seen this much support for a member on any forum let alone a newer one!!
makes me proud to be on here. if it were in my area I would be offereing to help as well
i salute you all!

hwcurtice

Well you guys are awesome and keep surprising me.
I don’t even know anybody on this site, I did not even ask for any help and now people are even willing to pitch in for fuel costs.

I think that with all the help being offered here I might be able to get her home.
I have gotten a lot off calls on the truck once I posted it on Craigslist, most where low ballers but I have one guy that seems to be really interested in the truck and I already told him I would sell it to him if we could work out the details on how to get the filters changed so he could drive it home.

But if he does not buy it from me I have Friday the 21st and Saturday the 22nd off. (I normally work weekends)
I have enough money for myself to drive to Pasco and back and if somebody is willing and able to tow the deuce from Pasco to Granite Falls that weekend, this might work.
When you first mentioned this recovery, I think there was a lot of interest in helping, but I'm not sure it was taken up. I don't know why. Not going there. There's a lot of people in this SS network around more than willing to help out one way or another.

My real thoughts are that you take the ad off CL and get the truck out of the impound lot, either by having someone close by, like quartz, or someone else, who can store it and then work out the details about getting it home, with someone chasing you that knows these trucks better. Having friends with you scratching their collective heads isn't helping. Having someone that has worked on them does help. It looks like there's a few people here that will 'chase' you home when the truck is running right.

I think you'd be real disappointed seeing your truck being driven around by someone else... unless you sold it because you got tired of it.... Nah, that would never happen...

Just my .02...

BadMastard

Hey Little Red?

Take Tony up on his offer. He can fix a broken space shuttle with a tin can and a bit of bubble gum. Then, plan on driving it out. Don't let a break down bother you, I bought two trucks and both of then broke down going from SLC to Seattle near Boise. They both made it to Seattle with help from people here, but I did turn wrenches on both of them to get them going. It's part of the fun of owning a military truck!

And that deal if you get it running they'll buy it? B.S. If you get it running, YOU'LL drive it! Take it off Craigslist, it's going home.

Jerry

Little Red

When you first mentioned this recovery, I think there was a lot of interest in helping, but I'm not sure it was taken up. I don't know why. Not going there. There's a lot of people in this SS network around more than willing to help out one way or another.
The reason I did not take you guys up on your offer to help, right away, is because:
1 I did not read all the replies till the next day
2 I work weekends (graveyard) and had to work that weekend too
3 I only posted a link to a for sale ad and did not expect this turnout

Don’t get me wrong I would rather keep the deuce and really appreciate all the help, just trying to answer your question.

oh.... let the poor fella get over his buyer's remorse and cold feet... I'm sure we've made a good impression that will last...
I don’t have any buyer’s remorse, it’s just that I have already spend more money on the deuce than anticipated and now I can’t really afford to spend any more money getting her home.

Last edited:

Little Red

So my plan for now is that I will wait for the person that seemed serious about buying it, to call me back tomorrow.
If he still wants to buy it I will sell it to him (I already told him I would and if I give someone my word I will keep it). If he does not call me back I will call him and find out if he still wants to buy it.

If he does not buy it I would like to take Tony (quarks) up on his offer to tow the truck to his place and see if we can replace the fuel filters.
Or like I said before I am off on Friday the 21st and Saturday the 22nd and if anyone is willing to tow the deuce home for me that would be great. (I also get paid on the 21st so I will at least have money for fuel)

Again thanks to all for the help and I will let you guys know what happens.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks