• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2011 Wa State Mini Rally #5

Stalwart

Thanks Harold, but it looks like crap now. :cry: Jane keeps saving up money to finish it and I do something silly like buy my Shelby and HEMTT. Shouldn't the shop and garage be finished BEFORE you fill it with crap? Someday it will be a nice place to work, as it is now, you take your life in your hands finding a place to walk. :shock:

Scott can attest to the above.

hwcurtice

Thanks Harold, but it looks like crap now. :cry: Jane keeps saving up money to finish it and I do something silly like buy my Shelby and HEMTT. Shouldn't the shop and garage be finished BEFORE you fill it with crap? Someday it will be a nice place to work, as it is now, you take your life in your hands finding a place to walk. :shock:

Scott can attest to the above.
Compared to Brad's?

cleb

I'm not sure if it required a rebuild at ME to install the REB kit or not? If it did, I would guess it was done sometime in the 80's. Best I can tell, under 3000 original miles on the truck. A majority of the tires look original. Was converted to a wildland rig at some point, and I did my best to get it back to an MV.

Stalwart

Cleb, it would be simple to tell if it had a rebuild in the last 25 or so years as it should have Dextron in it. If it has motor oil in it, it is either not rebuilt or it was switched back by somebody that believed that old "30 weight motor oil is best" lie. They also may have been using good rebuilders in the 80's as well. I'm not the only one in the PNW, also here on SS, that has had their rebuilds fail VERY quickly (mine was 70 miles). Mine was never dissembled but the other local guy's was. There were numerous seals that were damaged and others installed incorrectly. His was put back together properly locally with replacement seals and was never a problem again.

I love the trucks . . . still hate the transmissions. I hate being stranded by a vehicle, my 211 did it twice, and I VERY nearly abandoned it where it was beside the road.

Firehound

an m101a2 or m105??
M101A2... it's almost an A3, it has all the brakes of an A3, but the swing style landing gear of an A2, so I call it an A2.5... (the surge brakes are currently inop, and possibly dragging a bit. I need to do some TLC on it. ) I have rigged it with the 4 pin adapter, but retained the original Mil-Spec plug...

Taken after recovering it during my lunch break... Working on the Fort has its privileges!

see? DEFINITELY needs a real MV to tow it...

srodocker

stuarts shop is amazing. yet packed. his shop is empty in those pics lol....im trying to convince him to let me take 1 thing out of the shop but still no go hahahahahha. even the fiance said ok to that one thing lol.

firehound. defiantly saw your post about helping on fort lewis on friday at the base. if i saw it earlier you could've rode with me. next time i'll post earlier about it

hwcurtice

M101A2... it's almost an A3, it has all the brakes of an A3, but the swing style landing gear of an A2, so I call it an A2.5... (the surge brakes are currently inop, and possibly dragging a bit. I need to do some TLC on it. ) I have rigged it with the 4 pin adapter, but retained the original Mil-Spec plug...

Taken after recovering it during my lunch break... Working on the Fort has its privileges!

Looks like mine.... I just don't know if the brakes work on mine. Haven't had to try them yet...

goodguyzy

Just wondering why you want a deuce to tow that trailer, its to small. I have towed mine with my deuce but am going to get a m105 sooner or later. I tow mine with my 1/2 ton pickup or suburban.

Hammer

Yeah, a M1009 or M1008 would do great to tow that little trailer. I know I have towed a number of them behind my M1009.
They look goofy behind a deuce. Done that as well.

wsucougarx

I even tow the M105A2 behind my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. No issue whatsoever. I don't recommend it but I also towed my PU-650 home from Fort Lewis with the same truck...all 7200 lbs of her behind the truck. I was amazed at the Cummins. She hardly noticed the trailer in tow through the hills. Plus she braked like it wasn't even back there. Again I don't recommend it but didn't have much of a choice at the last minute.

Firehound

Shhh... It's just the excuse I keep tellin the Mrs...

I WOULD like to get a CUCV pickup and blazer and fit out my suburban to look like a CUCV, and get the 1 Ron axles....

hwcurtice

I even tow the M105A2 behind my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. No issue whatsoever. I don't recommend it but I also towed my PU-650 home from Fort Lewis with the same truck...all 7200 lbs of her behind the truck. I was amazed at the Cummins. She hardly noticed the trailer in tow through the hills. Plus she braked like it wasn't even back there. Again I don't recommend it but didn't have much of a choice at the last minute.
BTW, I was checking your hitch set up, which is identical to mine, and yours is as loose as mine is. :shock:

There has to be a way to make that thing fit tighter as to reduce the slop in the receiver.

wsucougarx

Harold the only thing I can think of is to shim the gap. I can definately feel the "freeplay" when accelerating from a stop. Everytime I have to do a double take to make sure she's still there.

goodguyzy

well since we are talking about trailers, loaded up the m101a2 to the max with fir, all the way to the top of rails. Well the leaf springs were flat with no bow left. The trip down was about 4 miles of steep grade about 2500 foot elevation change at about 10 MPH. I noticed the brakes were a little hot on the first trip, the second I had smoke rolling out. Had to stop and bolt the surge brake. I guess with all the weight the trailer was doing most of the braking with the tow rig dropped to first gear. I wish there was a way to adjust the brakes on the fly.

hwcurtice

well since we are talking about trailers, loaded up the m101a2 to the max with fir, all the way to the top of rails. Well the leaf springs were flat with no bow left. The trip down was about 4 miles of steep grade about 2500 foot elevation change at about 10 MPH. I noticed the brakes were a little hot on the first trip, the second I had smoke rolling out. Had to stop and bolt the surge brake. I guess with all the weight the trailer was doing most of the braking with the tow rig dropped to first gear. I wish there was a way to adjust the brakes on the fly.
The only way, from a trailer shop, to fix this, is to turn them into electric brakes and remove all the surge brake stuff. Kinda pricey.

That, or just remove all the surge brake stuff and go it with the tow vehicle's brakes only. But be sure and take pictures too....

Hammer

Pinning the surge brakes is the easiest way to stop it, and probably the best solution in the long run (unless you are really going to use the trailer ALL the time.)

goodguyzy

80% of the time the trailer is in tow. Only problem is on long steep downgrades. Like you said pin the trailer and use the tow rigs engine and brakes. Normal towing the brakes seem to work fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks