• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2014 SoCal Fall Rally

What dates do you want to have the 2014 SoCal Fall Rally?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

papaydsailor

Fastnova, can you put a marker again on that turn to the campsite from coppercity road. our group will be coming at saturday afternoon from irwin road and coppercity road. Bring your pop corn and favorite dvd movies for the night.

RustyM923

I'm looking at coming out on Saturday afternoon. Possibly with Papadsailor if the timing is right. Or solo caravan (is that even possible?) if not. :)

FASTNOVA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which of your many vehicles are you bringing out? or are you leave us in suspense? HMMWV? 5 ton? F550? or some cool new toy?

RustyM923

Which of your many vehicles are you bringing out? or are you leave us in suspense? HMMWV? 5 ton? F550? or some cool new toy?
Hoping to take the hmmwv, if I have it ready.

Nothing screams "Adventure!" more than 16 year old military tires on an 30 year old military vehicle in 100 degree weather.

RustyM923

Blew out my exhaust pipe. I was looking for camp but must have missed the poles. If you heard a truck that sounds like an old Chris Craft boat off in the distance...That was me.

Currently waiting for a flatbed on Irwin and copper city Rd

RustyM923

First pictures from the Rally!

20141004_234345.jpg <---hard to see, but you can sure hear it coming!

Way too loud to drive on the street. I couldn't take another mile...it was really loud inside with the exhaust damaged. The power seemed to be falling off, as well.

uploadfromtaptalk1412490170379.jpguploadfromtaptalk1412490188727.jpg

On a positive note, I did net 14.8 mpg from Pasadena to Barstow. :)

Morning update: pipe is shredded just about 6" in front of the muffler. I knew i was missing the outboard exhaust clamp hanger to the body mount, and should have gotten one. The weight of the exhaust extension must have torqued it over and over going down the dirt road until it grenaded fully. Lesson learned.

Also learned that my rear shocks are completely worn out. I don't think this helped the pipe much. The harmonics of the rear suspension with the rusted pipe and missing mount...perfect conditions for failure.

See you guys next time.
20141005_182040.jpg

Last edited:

RustyM923

We had a guy at work whose exhaust fell down at the gate coming in. He zip-tied it up. There were sparks coming from under his car by the time he got to the street on the way home that night. We called him "Box of Rocks".
I need to put some zip ties in there and duct tape. I had a box of tools, but no spare metal (wire or otherwise) to tie it up. When I backed up after going down the wrong road, the tire tread hooked the tip and made some interesting sounds. I thought I lost a 1/2 shaft or transfer case. Kind of creepy in the middle of the desert at night with no comm. I left my 2-way at home. Not sure if anyone was monitoring out there, though.

The thing I missed the most was earplugs. Thundering under that big bare aluminum box (tub), it was like an amplifier. My ears are still not right.

jeremy turgeon

the axle still bent those military guys with moving shops couldnt get it done in time so i drove it out hopefully can take it to them soon nd get that thing fixed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks