• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2017 SoCal Spring Rally

True Knight

A few of us took the long way out and found some very old children's rock drawings. We also checked out the mine again, but now it is closed off with angle iron.
IMG_9645.jpgIMG_9647.jpgIMG_9650.jpgIMG_9651.jpgIMG_9652.jpgIMG_9653.jpgIMG_9654.jpgIMG_9656.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

A few of us took the long way out and found some very old children's rock drawings. We also checked out the mine again, but now it is closed off with angle iron.
We can't know of course, but a good guess is that children did not produce all that artwork.

Those are petroglyphs and later-era handiwork of whatever cultures called that area home at one time. That's pretty amazing.

What kind of mine was it that was worked there?

True Knight

I'm not sure if they did mine anything from this hole, as there are many small mines in this area on the map. But it's part of the Solcum mines. I found this info:

"Slocum Camp-Opal Camp
Slocum Camp, near Copper City, derives its name from Dr. Samuel Slocum. Dr. Slocum and his wife lived at the mine during the winter of 1910, and they employed 5 miners. He was the general manager of the Desert Chief Mining and Milling Company which had done 2,000 feet of development work, sunk a 300 foot shaft, developed water and constructed 8 buildings which formed the camp. In June, 1911, the company began drilling the mine to determine how extensive the ore body was. Drilling continued through December, 1911. In November, 1916, the Barstow Printer indicated the mine was being worked for copper and molybdenum. However, the report continued, “During cessation of work for a short period, a blood-sucking low-lived vandal broker into the mine buildings and carried away at least one thousand dollars worth of equipment.”283"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks