• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

2022 TX MV Rally

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am just curious, what kind of communications do these "convoys" use, back in my MVPA days (80s) we used military radios in the VHF range, I do not remember the freq. but it was said we had approval to use them.

Rhino 5/4

I am just curious, what kind of communications do these "convoys" use, back in my MVPA days (80s) we used military radios in the VHF range, I do not remember the freq. but it was said we had approval to use them.
My son and I use cb but have swapped to gmrs (the little boufooo hand helds) I use my intercom and headset on both and works pretty well. But,that's not MV this is our first gathering of the green. New cb and not sure if I'll have it up n going but have hand held cb. Issues with steering conversion on the RV. Grrrrrr20220311_202850.jpg

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My son and I use cb but have swapped to gmrs (the little boufooo hand helds) I use my intercom and headset on both and works pretty well. But,that's not MV this is our first gathering of the green. New cb and not sure if I'll have it up n going but have hand held cb. Issues with steering conversion on the RV. GrrrrrrView attachment 862045
OK somebody has to ask, Why a major mod 2 weeks before this trip???

Reactions: 98G

Barrman

We don’t really need communication protocols for the Saturday morning convoy. The deputies will talk to us at the ranch and then we will drive straight to Mullins with them blocking the intersections so we can just roll along at speed.

Getting there Friday and going home Sunday is whatever you work out with the others in your group. I also use my aviation intercom in the Whistler Duece. Even with those on successful voice communications is hard. So, when my son was little and riding with me. I made him my comms officer and he would text with other passengers in other trucks. You would be amazed how screwed up things can get when 9 and 10 year olds Are typing with their thumbs in a bouncing truck. Mostly it went well though.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
We don’t really need communication protocols for the Saturday morning convoy. The deputies will talk to us at the ranch and then we will drive straight to Mullins with them blocking the intersections so we can just roll along at speed.

Getting there Friday and going home Sunday is whatever you work out with the others in your group. I also use my aviation intercom in the Whistler Duece. Even with those on successful voice communications is hard. So, when my son was little and riding with me. I made him my comms officer and he would text with other passengers in other trucks. You would be amazed how screwed up things can get when 9 and 10 year olds Are typing with their thumbs in a bouncing truck. Mostly it went well though.
But there is nothing like a father & son trip like that...

Rhino 5/4

Never out grew The little engine that could I guess. Didn't like the mis match tires too. Looks tacky.
All in all done. Re torqued everything and did test drive this afternoon. 70mph no issues. New shocks and steering stabilizer in the near future. 20220320_093842.jpg20220320_180435.jpg20220320_181104.jpg

Barrman

I guess I worded my response about the aviation intercom wrong. I have the adaptors to let my iphone talk through the intercom, listen to music and all of that. I use that when flying and love it. However, nobody else I have been in driving formation ever has that set up so that is why voice didn't work.

Bringing 4 M35 trucks from Oklahoma City to here back in 2008 we tried using hand held radios with ear pieces for everyone else. I just plugged mine into the intercom. Some people could only hear and some could only talk. Texting always got through. Back in flip phone days wedging one of them in the gap between the windshield and the flip out glass was a great way to see when someone was texting. Since you couldn't hear it or feel it vibrate while driving. Kwai, Sermis and I did that bringing a M35 back from the Georgia Rally back in 2007.

Firehound

What the plan for grub? Are there BBQ stands? Places close enough to pile into a truck for dinner Fri/Sat? Is there food for sale at the Museum, or are we eating in the field?

Barrman

We are on our own for food at the Ranch. Pistolnut entertained us for years when he would drive the EM-50 to the event with its huge windows. It was like watching a cooking show on tv. The rest of us just made do with camp cook stoves on tailgates and such. 5-10 minute drive in a normal vehicle to a few fast food places. There normally is some kind of food truck or two at the museum. We haven't done this in 2 years though so I plan to bring snacks Saturday just in case we can't eat until we get back to the Ranch.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on grabbing food Friday night in town for nostalgia sake. Saturday morning should be something quick due to departure times. The Museum usually has food venders but bring food if you want. Dinner is up to you as well and I'm bringing MREs to enjoy the experience. Sunday is again on your own and kolache ralphs is always a top pick imho.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I'm going to graze all the way up there, probably pick up a bucket of chicken in Bastrop, good even cold and takes a day or two before it will kill you..
So I gotta ask... How do you each chicken riding down the highway without greasing the steering wheel?

Barrman

I don't know what kind of speed my Cowdog can run towing the M715 tomorrow so I plan to leave home around 1530. That way I can creep along at 45 where I know all will be well if needed and still get there at a reasonable hour. I'm hoping for cruise set at 62 mph. Anyone going faster on 21 just wave as you go by.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks