• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

21 Hrs, a road odyssey

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Over 700 miles, round trip. 2 fuel stops, 2 meal breaks, 2 dog breaks, 1 mountain pass, 1 shortcut (got lost in the clouds), 4 naps.

20240205_114055.jpgca24a1a2-77ea-4731-aa46-49171fe6622e.jpg

Didn't really think about loading a 85" wide top behind a vehicle that is 71" wide. My rear view and passenger mirror were useless and I only sort of had some visibility out of my driver side mirror. It either snowed or rained almost the whole time. That loose looking strap is the end of one of the cinched straps, I looped it around one of the horizontal straps to help it from sliding down.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about bidding on that too, and the other one, myself but balked.

Please keep us advised on the installation - I'm interested to hear how that goes, what parts you needed source, etc.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought about bidding on that too, and the other one, myself but balked.
I came across one, for sale in Phoenix. Think I saw it on Facebook Marketplace for $2500, and there's was one for sale in the Carolina's also for $2500. Problem is getting them to me. Phoenix is a 24 hr drive, each way from my place. Even flying down, renting and driving back had its issues. It was just too far. Both sellers were disinterested in shipping.

I contacted McClarin plastics (they own Amtech now) about installation parts. Amtech is in Wapato, WA, and was about 5 miles from route down to pick up the top. I got 3 install kits, 1 with "L" brackets, 1 with brackets to tie down the top the windshield frame, and 1 with rubber seals. Their sales guy is in TN, but he arranged for me to pay for and swing by to pick up the boxes. I'm also missing a handle an both the tool box and the back door. If they don't have locking latches, I'll look elsewhere.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably the hardest thing is how to get it on you humvee. If you can get enough people together. I saw one post on SS where one guy used various jack stands. My mechanic has a serious engine hoist, which is what he used. Both sides of the top have "D" rings that can support its weight. I stopped by because he said he was having problems, but before I even got home he had it sitting on the humvee.

IMG_20240206_170130.jpgIMG_20240206_170125.jpgIMG_20240206_170139.jpg

I like how the camo patterns on the top mesh with those on the vehicle.

On the hood is the crumpled remains of my canvas top.

I'm missing the handle for the back door as well as the latch hardware for the tool box. Probably don't need to go through McClarin for those, but if they're not super expensive...

Last edited:

Awol

Looks good! The camo pattern seems to match well.

How was your rear curtain? I'm looking for one

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
need parts for top could you sent contact info
Contact Steve Mikes at McClarin, smikes@mcclarincomposites.com
He's their Military Sales Manager, 717.680.2039

I found email works best. The install kit isn't cheap, always seems the way when you're buying military parts.

How was your rear curtain? I'm looking for one
My canvas top was on it's last legs. No way it would last out the year. One of the reasons I was looking for a helmet top. I have the slant back parts, but that's only part of the solution and where I live it rains a bit.

hrbergeron

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest way to install and uninstall those is to crouch underneath and lift straight up flat against your back and walk it forward/backward. Looks like your has the b pillar posts in great shape.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easiest way to install and uninstall those is to crouch underneath and lift straight up flat against your back and walk it forward/backward.
It's over 400 lbs, according to the manufacturer. That's a pretty serious lift.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That thing isn't 400 pounds.
I only know what I've read. I didn't try moving it myself, and took the manufacturer at their word

Legacy 4 Door - McClarin Composites

Keep in mind, the crated weight is over 800 lbs. The one in the picture, in the link is the model I have, except I only have the toolbox on the driver's side. I suppose the toolboxes add a bit of weight as they're all aluminum.

There are other helmet tops out there. One I know that doesn't have as much headroom as the one in the link and is probably lighter. I like the extra height; I plan on hanging stuff from the interior roof & storing items on the rear passenger wheel fender.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks