• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24 Volt battery maintainer?

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the current recommendation for a 24-volt battery maintainer? I haven't had any luck with two cheap Amazon ones so far.

Thanks in advance!

5TID

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm, was looking for a 24v, I guess I wasn't going down the correct path. I will get one ordered.
Thanks!

Chainbreaker

Yes, a 2x 12V output maintainer unit capability is best when dealing with two 12V batteries hooked in series. Each battery is an independent unit & for best results should be charged & desulphated based on each battery's chemistry & state of charge.

Otherwise, using a 24V output charger is just an average reading of the two batteries in series. I too switched from using (2) 12V Battery Minders, which worked well, to now using the single unit NOCO GEN5x2. They are built very solid & work great along with having one less AC cord to deal with than the 2X Battery Minders!

Last edited:

kayak1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which one did you use from Amazon? What did it do?
I had ordered one of these, but I waited too long to return it as I left it for a couple of months before hooking it up.
It detects my batteries as 12v and then complains about being overvoltage.

I worked with the vendor, and they sent me the 2nd one (the 1st was red, and the replacement is yellow). I had the same issues with the 2nd one.

The power pole connector I installed to the batteries last read 25.3v when I was testing it out.

The 1st one was another cheap China one, and it was sent back as it never powered on.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have about 10 various NOCO chargers I've been using for years. Just installed a pair of the new Genius2D units in my 1030.
The only failure I've encountered was with a 7200 I bought years ago. NOCO replaced it with a 15000 under warranty with no hassle.
Very pleased with the NOCO products.

Last edited:

Waukesha

Yes, a 2x 12V output maintainer unit capability is best when dealing with two 12V batteries hooked in series. Each battery is an independent unit & for best results should be charged & desulphated based on each battery's chemistry & state of charge.

Otherwise, using a 24V output charger is just an average reading of the two batteries in series. I too switched from using (2) 12V Battery Minders, which worked well, to now using the single unit NOCO GEN5x2. They are built very solid & work great along with having one less cord to deal with than the 2X Battery Minders!
This may be one of those questions.... Do you simply hook up the positive / negative to each battery while leaving the batteries hooked up in 24v series? OR do you need to disconnect one of the batteries while using the 2x12v charger?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may be one of those questions.... Do you simply hook up the positive / negative to each battery while leaving the batteries hooked up in 24v series? OR do you need to disconnect one of the batteries while using the 2x12v charger?
As Kurt said... no issue hooking up as they sit in the machine. Just don't energize the charger while the machine (ie the battery charging alternator) is running. You can get into an overcharging situation.

FarmingSmallKubota

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had ordered one of these, but I waited too long to return it as I left it for a couple of months before hooking it up.
It detects my batteries as 12v and then complains about being overvoltage.

I worked with the vendor, and they sent me the 2nd one (the 1st was red, and the replacement is yellow). I had the same issues with the 2nd one.

The power pole connector I installed to the batteries last read 25.3v when I was testing it out.

The 1st one was another cheap China one, and it was sent back as it never powered on.
I just bought my second of those chargers. the first one i put a Nato plug on and use it to charge all of my Generators and LMTV. no problems at all with it. have not tried the second one yet.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other plus side for having the charger in the unit, is if the alternator fails, you can just plug the charger to the convenience outlet and that is more than enough to keep the batteries charged up while running.

Civilian standby generators these days mostly use 120V chargers that go off the generator output (commonly through the house utility panel, though newer ones are wired that way in the transfer switch for Generac). More than one occasion I've kept customer units up and running with external chargers.

serpico760

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the noco genius 24 volt maintainer and it works great. When I bought the truck it already had these batteries in it. I'm going to reconfigure the whole battery tray soon similar to what Sean filner did. The big alligator clips are just for something temporary. The noco's leads are screwed onto the battery clamps with ring terminals.
IMG_20221229_101451.jpg

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The G15000 is an awesome battery maintenance tool. Regrettably mine got hit by lightning (it was at the end of a long extension cord) and I can't find another. Does anyone know a source?

My present setup is the NOCO Gen5x2, maintaining the two 12 v banks independently.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks