• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v charging thru slave port

KansasBobcat

What was the cost on that? No prices listed in the flyer.
Mark, president of Graywacke, just sent me a sample of their 150 amp NATO slave assembly. Looks like a good alternate to the higher priced GI slave cable ends. Have not used it yet but will report back. Great company to deal with!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

No, I have not had any problems with my NOCO Genius G7200 24v charger. I did find that if the batteries are in great shape, and the resting voltage is way up there where it should be. I would simply put a load (run preheat, or priming) on the batteries, to take the voltage peak off. I would then connect the charger.
NOCO G7200.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
What kind of batteries are you all using?

After we got rid of the 2HN lead acid batteries and went to OPTIMA, we had almost no problem with batteries discharging. And the Army also bought a positive battery clamp with a disconnect switch built into it. It was a Knife type switch. Simply lift up the handle, no contact to the battery. I NEVER saw a dead battery again on any generator due to not running/charging the batteries again on those sets. It was a off the shelf buy, not given a NSN. We equipped a PATRIOT Battalion with them, about 60 generator total. Worked like a charm.

justacitizen

I just recently bought a set of Exide Edge FP-AGM51R battery for an MEP 003a. they start the set excellent and at below freezing temps just fine. I hope they are better than Optima,but time will tell.

After we got rid of the 2HN lead acid batteries and went to OPTIMA, we had almost no problem with batteries discharging. And the Army also bought a positive battery clamp with a disconnect switch built into it. It was a Knife type switch. Simply lift up the handle, no contact to the battery. I NEVER saw a dead battery again on any generator due to not running/charging the batteries again on those sets. It was a off the shelf buy, not given a NSN. We equipped a PATRIOT Battalion with them, about 60 generator total. Worked like a charm.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Howdy,
My 2007 MEP-802A has the Exide 2HN batteries with a manuf date of Nov 2011. I added some water and slow charged each battery separately. Both batteries are working and staying charged without any issues. If and when I have any issues. I would be putting the Optima Yellowtop 51R batteries in. I use the NOCO Genius G7200 24v charger in regular 24 volt mode on the slave port for charging. I also use it in 24 volt AGM mode on a MEP-803A with 2 Optima Redtop AGM batteries.
2015-05-17 14.41.59.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
Lead acid batteries were just one of the many things the army never got right. I cant explain it. There was always a mountain of batteries at the DRMO. We ran power generation 24/7, 365 days a year. For years on end. We preformed a "Daily", (the forerunner to PMCS) every 6-8 hours. That meant the battery fluid level should have been checked at least 3, if not 4 times every 24 hours. STILL, we went through batteries like shelled peanuts. I could never understand it.

hammick

I use Renogy 200W 24V solar panel to charge my MEP-802A. It has been a year now and it starts right up every time.
BadRobot what kink of charge controller are you using with that panel? I am float charging the batteries in our travel trailer, ATV and side by side with Renology 100w panels.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Now with the green item epidemic is growing, I have one unit to move around each and keep them charged and maintained.

4 units maintained with the slave port.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I picked up a NOS slave plug from a member here on SS. I know it's overkill, but plan to pair it with the NOCO Genius G7200 Mike recommends for generator charging duties.
image.jpg
On a side note, I already have the smaller NOCO 12v only model and it is a real quality unit that is easy to use.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

I use a NOCO Genius G7200 24v charger with a Graywacke GEISLV-SR.

The NOCO G7200 and larger units handle 12v and 24v charging and maintaining. I use this on generators. This can work with any item which has the 24v slave port. I also take the plug off and use the battery clips on other 12v batteries which need charging.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you, this is just what I was looking for! I needed a solar option for a gen away from the grid.
Howdy,
If you are looking for a solar panel kit which the military uses on equipment.

You can find the smaller Solargizer IS24L online out there.
Solargizer IS24L.jpg

/OR The larger PulseTech 24VPSC 735x640. (NSN 6130-1-487-0035) The solar panel is listed as 6.3 watts and is 9" x 11"
PulseTech 24VPSC.jpg
OH, the best way to use a solar panel = charge your batteries to there fullest using a charger, then use the solar charger to maintain and desulfate. Yes, the unit itself is a charger. But, to care for your batteries, have them in there best shape, and they will be maintained better. :)

Last edited:

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
Yes, you want your batteries at there best. Even with charging and maintaining your batteries does not mean they last forever. The solar panel does all the good stuff to keep your batteries ready for when you need them.

Just because I have the G7200 connected to a 24v slave port, does not mean it can't be used somewhere else. It is smart charger which you can leave connected. But I move it around using it with the battery clips on other 12v batteries.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
I can move the charger to wherever it is needed. I can also just leave it connected and not worry about over charging. With the slave port adapter, I can easily put a charge on any military nato slave port. I have been using the charger recently prepping new optima yellowtop batteries for service.

PJL

I have a bunch of the PulseTech 24 volt solar chargers. One on the CUCV and one each on MEP-805B's. All of them fire right up after sitting for a long time.

I just built a 24 volt battery GPU for helicopters and put the NOCO 12/24 volt charger on it. I got it at Interstate Batteries.

lindsey97

Howdy,

I use a NOCO Genius G7200 24v charger with a Graywacke GEISLV-SR.

The NOCO G7200 and larger units handle 12v and 24v charging and maintaining. I use this on generators. This can work with any item which has the 24v slave port. I also take the plug off and use the battery clips on other 12v batteries which need charging.
Thank you so much for posting this. I have been searching for a well made but cheaper slave port connector. $39 is awesome price, info on here is appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks