• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v inline fuel pump

Farmun

Renovate7: Yes, I will be pulling the pump this week to see if it fell apart. I ran out of time/daylight on Sunday afternoon. I have read through all the posts I could find on this particular problem, and that's where the innovative use of the leaf blower was described. Sounds like the airtex pump is working for several guys, and that will be my alternate plan of attack.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm running an airtex E8135 on my deuce with a bypass setup I built from a check valve and pipe fittings. I'm going to install another one of these pumps on my 5 ton but without the bypass setup to see how it runs. The deuce runs fine with it.

Farmun

Picked up the 8131 pump on Tuesday. Went looking for the fittings yesterday to get her plumbed up, but ran into some snags finding what I need . For you guys that used the Airtex pump, am I correct in that the fittings on the pump are 1/4" FNPT (tapered female)? And that I need an adapter that is 1/2" male compression to 1/4" FNPT?

JCKnife

Picked up the 8131 pump on Tuesday. Went looking for the fittings yesterday to get her plumbed up, but ran into some snags finding what I need . For you guys that used the Airtex pump, am I correct in that the fittings on the pump are 1/4" FNPT (tapered female)? And that I need an adapter that is 1/2" male compression to 1/4" FNPT?
I ordered the same pump just now so I'm tagging in to this thread. Farmun let me know if you find the plumbing parts needed?

Thanks. EEk, wait, I ordered an 8135...ah looks like that's OK but not sure if it's the same fittings as 8131.

Last edited:

Farmun

From my research, the 8135 is "designed for 24 volt carbureted applications", and the 8131 is "designed for 24 volt diesel applications". Don't know that it makes any difference though.

paTracy, Thanks, I'll stop by some places tomorrow and see what I can find.

Did you guys leave the fuel pickup line attached to the in-tank pump body, or do something different down there?

Last edited:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I bought both of my pumps via O'riely. I left everything alone in the tanks. The factory pump acts as a screener.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From my research, the 8135 is "designed for 24 volt carbureted applications", and the 8131 is "designed for 24 volt diesel applications". Don't know that it makes any difference though.

paTracy, Thanks, I'll stop by some places tomorrow and see what I can find.

Did you guys leave the fuel pickup line attached to the in-tank pump body, or do something different down there?

As long as the pump puts out 5-7psi, your good to go.

EWhytsell

I installed the E8131 pump this week in my truck. I have an LDS engine which started and ran fine on the IP, but I always felt I was hitting an RPM wall around 2100. With the new pump its got so much power it feels like I should go finds its numbers at the drag strip hehe.

Install was very easy, but finding fittings that would work took a bit of time. My NAPA regional warehouse had nothing, same at the Fastenal dealer. Went to Menards and after about 1.5 hrs I had a compromise that would get the job done. The hard part was finding something that would thread into the stock pump's 90 output. I almost just gave up and removed that part and made my own pass through
connection out of something more modern, but I found that a hydraulic compression fitting would thread in, but that the nipple hit to soon to get a lot of threads into the socket. So I just cut the nipple off with an angle grinder and it makes a nice connection. I've been testing it under various conditions and so far no leaks.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A short pre-made brake line will thread right in to that fitting.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just cut a section out of my original line and installed the pump with NPT/compression fittings.

JasonS

We use the external pumps when we bob a deuce because with a m105 bed you have to drop the tank to remove the intank unit.
I found that it was possible to remove the tank straps and slide the tank away from the frame which gave enough room to swap out the pump.

F18hornetM

Old thread but i found interesting. Why couldn't you remove the steel 1/2" tubing from the factory pump like Doghead did, cut and flare both ends. Then use 1/2" inverted flare fitting - 3/8" male pipe adapter and that would screw directly into the ports on the pump. Specs for both pumps say 3/8" ports. So the pump would be right in the original steel line.
Just an idea I haven't tried it.

Katahdin

Thanks for the pics, Doghead!

Because of this thread, I keep a E8131 pump and small hacksaw in my M109 in case the tank one failed. The tanks on M109s need to be removed to service the fuel pump-- not something I'd like to try on the side of the road.

DaneGer21

Hello, I know this is an old thread. But I see it mentioned that this pump has 3/8” inlet and outlet. Is that the hose size that fits the included hose barb? Or is it the threaded port size that is 3/8” npt?

The one I received has 1/4” npt inlet/outlet ports and not 3/8”.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I took a look at it today. It looks like my pump is 1/4” npt (Male). I used an adaptor on each end, that goes to compression fitting. I cut the original copper fuel line and inserted the whole pump and adaptor assembly into the section I cut out. It’s still working perfectly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks