• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24VDC power steering m35a2

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone considered using a 24 V DC electric motor to run a power steering pump? I found I few pumps 1hp with rpm ranges from 1500-3000. I know there are other options but this would allow you to mount it where ever you need it. Auto makers are doing it on smaller cars. It would also give one hundred percent power even in low RPM situations because the eps would always turn at a constant rate.

Just bought a Deuce and already have some 16.00's for it but going through some ideas for cross over steering and adding power steering.
Thoughts? Jonathan

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please add your State to your location information. This is a site requirement.

goldneagle

Has anyone considered using a 24 V DC electric motor to run a power steering pump? I found I few pumps 1hp with rpm ranges from 1500-3000. I know there are other options but this would allow you to mount it where ever you need it. Auto makers are doing it on smaller cars. It would also give one hundred percent power even in low RPM situations because the eps would always turn at a constant rate.

Just bought a Deuce and already have some 16.00's for it but going through some ideas for cross over steering and adding power steering.
Thoughts? Jonathan
1600 will not fit the Deuce unless you LIFT it and separate the 2 rear axles apart. The axles are too close together to accommodate 1600's. Also you will have major power issues as well as braking issues with such large tires. Even a 5 ton like an M818 has power issues with 1600.

Csm Davis

Only real problem I see with the idea is you will need a constant running motor that may be a small problem but needs to be taken in to consideration. Might be able to find a all in one unit to drive it like the units on a dump trailer, cool idea but don't think pump mounting is as big of a problem as rigging the pitman arm and box mount.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a big difference in having electric PS on a small car than it is a deuce. Electric hyd pumps are better suited to run intermittently for things like dump beds.
1) they draw a lot of amps
2) they tend to get hot and not last long if run for long periods of time
3) I bet you can buy a hyd pump that will bolt directly to your multifuel for what a electric/hyd setup would cost.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Done a little research have a friend at a base near me that Is looking for a 5ton multi fuel pump to go on my injection pump. Everyone does things one way and I like to at least toss ideas around.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darn, I was waiting for the first guy to say he was going to convert his 24 volt p/s pump to 12 volts.:p

MrM4

With my A2 multifuel Ive never noticed it being short on power with 1600s however it is lifted and bobbed.

Just rember that you might want to get differant rims for the 1600s. Hemmet rims and 16.00-20s will be about 500lbs per wheel/tire on the truck + the plate which is about 20-30lbs ( not sure how much the normal rims and NDT 900s are). While it is possible to mount a stock rim in a 1600 I dont see it being a good thing, they are WAY wider then the standard rims that you NDT 900s are on.

I am looking at a full hydro set up for my bobber, unless your rolling 1600s are a pain to turn and if your in the mudd or in the rocks you will learn that " keep your thumbs out of the steering wheel" is NOT a suggestion. If you go the Full Hydro route you might want to check the laws in your area, some states require and mechanical connection for the steering.

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I have a rear steer Chevy tilt hood 6500 that I had the 1600's on. They are mointed on wheels from the clowns at USA 6x6, they are 1/2 plate in the centers. Laws are not a huge issue as far as full hydro but I want it to handle a little better that a non mechanical system will allow. I really want to design a crossover system because I've built them in the past and handling is great. I am going to see what I can come up with. Anyone out there tried it.

rickf

That is a clean looking setup. I like the overall layout but not crazy about the Heim joints. There is a lot of shear load on them in that configuration. If any one of them breaks you are history.

Rick

RHudson85

Each of those heims are rated at 107,000 lbs. I figured that would be more than enough. You also have to realize there is a 3" hydraulic ram behind the front tie rod. It does most of the work and if I had to take a guess I would say that it puts out 2.5-3x as much as the steering box.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What operates/activates the hydraulics?

rickf

Each of those heims are rated at 107,000 lbs. I figured that would be more than enough. You also have to realize there is a 3" hydraulic ram behind the front tie rod. It does most of the work and if I had to take a guess I would say that it puts out 2.5-3x as much as the steering box.
True on the rating but that is on the joint itself not the bolt going through it. Most heim joints would be anchored on both sides where you are anchored on one. Good point on the assist ram though, had not thought of that. I would guess the steering box is a GM setup and power for that and the ram is from a standard steering pump? I have seen GM steering boxes with the assist ram outputs built in.

Rick

RHudson85

Rick, all Hi-Steer set ups that I have seen are similair to this. Plus in all pitman arm steering setups the drag link is anchored on one side. ALso PSC designs their rams to be used this way where they attach to the knuckle. The bolts are 3/4 grade 8 due to the high misalignment spacers.

You are correct it is a GM 1 ton steering box from PSC tapped for hydraulic assist. The assist ram is a 3" double ended cylinder from PSC as well. Many people thought that the 1 ton box would not suffice on a big truck and would break/quickly wear out. Thats where the assist comes in, and I can tell you in confidence it has enough power to turn an 18 wheeler. Another concern was that the valve inside the steering box would not be able to put enough volume to actuate the ram quick enough and there would be some delay (This was coming from PSC as well they told me there was no way it would work). Most hydraulic assist setups from PSC are 2" cylinders. The only time it lags behind is during a very sharp turn at idle which rarely happens.

Yes, it is a 4 link on airbags. That is where things got complicated as there is a dump valve and the truck drops down ~6". The biggest challenge was to get the steering to work while the truck is dropped down as well as when it is raised up.

Here is a pic of the steering components when the truck is dropped down.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks