• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24VDC power steering m35a2

RHudson85

Kohburn, I really cant answer that question. I have never ridden in one with leaf springs. I can tell you this.....when I first bought the truck it rode horribly. It is MUCH better now that I have the steering in as well as things properly adjusted. I still have a noticible vibration around 55 which I think I have narrowed down to the tires.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
That is a clean looking setup. I like the overall layout but not crazy about the Heim joints. There is a lot of shear load on them in that configuration. If any one of them breaks you are history.

Rick
heim joints are complete illegal for steering used on public roads

power steering pumps for 5 ton multifuel engines are easy to find and sell for about $350 complete with mount, gear and gaskets. pump output is not dependant on engine rpm. power steering kits are also out there and at least one has a box that 'can' be ported for a tie rod cylinder assist.

tom

Csm Davis

heim joints are complete illegal for steering used on public roads

tom
I love when people make blanket statements about laws like that, because they are generally not true and if they can back it up it is normally only true for their area. I have read all of the laws for vehicles in the state of Mississippi and most for the surrounding states, I never saw heim joints in them. If you would point it out I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

trukhead

Fun thread to read, Dang, some nice design work!!:grd:

I am kicking the thought of some rockwells under a CUCV and it is good to know the GM steering box is a tough unit that will work for my purposes. The tapping for the assist is CLEVER!![thumbzup] I'd like to find a write up for that and perform it. Will the hydroboost power the box as well as the assist cylinder and the brakes? I just want to run A3 wheels and 14.5 x 20 stock tires.

I guess enough thread hijack. How about some more pictures or the truck.:)

rickf

I love when people make blanket statements about laws like that, because they are generally not true and if they can back it up it is normally only true for their area. I have read all of the laws for vehicles in the state of Mississippi and most for the surrounding states, I never saw heim joints in them. If you would point it out I would appreciate it.
There are certain Heim joints that are legal for steering, the ones pictured are not the ones but really it does change in every state. You have a completely re-engineered suspension and as such in most state it will have to go to a special inspection unit where automotive engineers will inspect it for design and safety. Been there done that, several times. I only had one design fail and that was something as simple as I used a grade 8 bolt where I should have used a grade 5. Bolt changed and inspection passed.

Rick

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks