• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

264Charlie's M51A2

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi all, I just picked up an unseen M51A2 from an auction site. It was a bit of an impulse purchase that resulted in about 50 hours of research, during which I'm much more educated about what I bought. I purchased the truck to move about 250 yards of dirt around my property. It should be a fun journey.

IMG_0989.jpg

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a recommendation for axles and brake rebuilt kit vendors? Or are the big ones that pop up on Google the best route to take?

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the truck is home. Next week, I will uncover its condition and outline the project list. My neighbor unloaded it for me as I will be out of town for a few days. It was about 4k to my door, about $1,500 more than I planned, but my schedule did not allow me to pick it up.
IMG_0209.jpg

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got home and took a look at the M51. Well... the "All wheel drive. Starts, runs, drives and dumps well. This truck is ready to go" is a drastic over-exaggeration of reality. 50/50 If I'll part it out or get it going.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I just got home and took a look at the M51. Well... the "All wheel drive. Starts, runs, drives and dumps well. This truck is ready to go" is a drastic over-exaggeration of reality. 50/50 If I'll part it out or get it going.
That sounds pretty sad. I mean the paint job looks really nice. What about the internals? Are the Gear boxes, Motor, and Brakes okay? Or are at least some of the parts good?

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They sprayed paint over everything without removing large clumps of dirt or anything. It will get a good cleaning and move into the shop this weekend for a deeper inspection to decide a path forward.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Send it back and get your money back. They're all GSA Arkansas turn-in trucks..

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dump trucks are always worth more assembled than in parts. Wow the picture you first posted sure did look good except for the ridiculous stenciling. They call that “lacquer overhaul” in the construction equipment biz.

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% a lacquer overhaul with bad stenciling.

After much thought, I have a path forward. While it will be more expensive than I initially estimated, I am confident that the result will be something useful that I'm proud to own. When done, it's going to be a 25k—45k truck. I'm not sure I'd ever get that out of it, but I'm sure I could get .50 cents on the dollar.

Project goals:
- Trucking of gravel, dirt, trash, and scrap runs, 7 - 10 miles on back roads.
- Support a tag trailer to move the backhoe (around 8.5 Tons)
- Local pickup of heavy junk; I typically buy it within 150 miles
- A front Jin (a frame) poll would be a good idea for general use around the property if I could make it work with the dump.
- Just owing a 5-ton is fun, so I'll run with it, lol

Phase One: Functional, approximately $6K+ (I can fund this now)
- Axel Seals, bearings, and fluid changes. $1,500
-- I'm not sure I'll need bearings. I should do it if I have them apart, right?
- New Batteries plus install master shutoff switch $500
- Electrical 12v and 120AC in the cab $200
-- got to charge the phone and laptop
- Brakes $2,000
-- Replace/rebuild everything
- Dump cylinder rebuild & fluid changes $350
- Fuel system clean out, refresh $500 - $2,000
-- tanks, filters, lines, injection pump, injectors
- Fluids, filters, air system, services + misc issue that pop up $500+

Phase two, Comfort & Safety. Approximately $12K (If I sell my dump trailer, I can fund this)
- Shocks $900
- Electrical check, keyed ignition, lights, gauges, 12v trailer hookup, etc. $550+
- Weatherproofing. $2,500
-- Windows, seals, hard top
- Recovery $500
-- Tools, Tire repair, straps, jacks, and chains...
- Tires and wheels $3,500
--I will likely go with 395/85R20 because I like the looks, don't want 53s on a dump, and 14/20s don't seem as available.
- Seats $1100
- Center console, radio, comms, $500+
-Cab heat $500

Phase Three, Want list 19k+ (most likely will not get done anytime soon)
- Engine rebuild $2,500+
- 10 Speed trans swap & $2,000
- Rear lockers $2,500
- Paint $2,500
- Front winch, Jin Poll $3,500+
- Diff E-brake, maybe, it seems like it might be a good idea $500
- Air brakes $3,000
- Deep Water Kit $250
- Lighting and accessories $500+
- Locking Front Hubs $1,500

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I flushed the primary tank and put in two new batteries, and the truck fired right up; the downside was that it had a fuel leak in the engine compartment, spraying fuel everywhere in a fine mist. At this point, I figured out that the truck did not have a primary or emergency engine stop. I tried capping the intake with no luck, so I cut the fuel line. Fun times.

I hope to fix the fuel line this weekend and make a plan for the fuel cutoffs. I started looking through manuals to find out how they should be run, but I haven't found the answer yet.

I should have just stalled the engine. Dang it. Hindsight.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck has a multfuel engine essentially the same as “deuce” trucks. The engine shut off system has probably dozens of threads on here as it causes issues.

264charlie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck has a multfuel engine essentially the same as “deuce” trucks. The engine shut off system has probably dozens of threads on here as it causes issues.
Yep, I'm aware. Mine is missing the levers in the cab, so I am looking to see how they were initially run to the pump.