• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3116 Oil Pressure Help

YOUNG GUN

The oil pressure gauge typically reads 35; I've noticed lately that sometimes at idle it drops half way between 0 and 30, but right when RPM goes back up so does the pressure gauge.
I recently replaced the engine oil and filter and I check the level once a week and it's perfect, so it's not oil level.
Engine temp usually runs about 160.
I've read the TM on gauge/sending unit troubleshooting and I will do that tomorrow.

Other than troubleshooting the gauge and sending unit, does anyone have any other thoughts or advise?
Oil pump issue?
Anyone experienced this issue before?

Thanks in advance for any help!

rlwm211

If you are worried about oil pressure buy a mechanical gauge and install it and see what it actually is. That is the only sure way to know the oil pressure of your engine.

While the electrical gauges are almost always accurate, sometimes they are not.

Why risk a huge expense such as an engine by not being sure of the oil pressure?

Chances are everything is normal, but it only takes a few minutes and about 25$ to know for sure.

RL

CatMan

3116 Cat Oil Pressure in A3

The Cat 3116 engine has a gear driven gear type oil pump at the front of the engine. It operates in direct proportion to engine RPM. A lower oil pressure reading is at low engine RPM is normal. No problem since there is low load at Idle RPM. The high pressure reading is controlled by the oil pump bypass valve that opens when the pressure reaches maximium. The oil is redirected back into the inlet side of the oil pump.

A Cat manual will tell you this. The Military -10 operators manual does not.

Cat Man

spicergear

My 1160 V8 CAT will idle 60psi cold and 15 to 20psi hot.

Also, engine rule of thumb is 10psi per 1,000rpm. So if you're idling at 700rpm with 15psi, you're still in clear from the engine builders stand points.

Reactions: HDN

YOUNG GUN

Thanks for all the advise everyone, it seems that it may be normal?
I watched very closely this morning on my way to work, so let me describe the actual conditions.

-34F this morning
-started right up
-oil pressure started at 60 and slowly dropped down to 30-35 as the engine temp came up while driving
-after engine was at operating temp, the pressure was at 30-35 while driving and while at idle it was slightly below the halfway point between 0 and 30 so maybe 10.
-also, I don't think that its ever gone above maybe 40 or so even at high RPM

If anyone has any additional thoughts from this more detailed description, let me know.

I should've had more detailed information about this in my original post, so sorry for that; I'm new enough to diesel engines and MV's that I really rack my brain on any issues/concerns that I have, and end up posting bofore I have all the details straight.aua

Thanks again for all your help!

AceHigh

The 10 psi is lower than I have seen but the rest is similar to mine. How is your oil? If you have too much oil, you may have diesel mixed in with it and that will give you a lower reading. I would get the mechanical gauge as a backup.

YOUNG GUN

LONG overdue update:
Finally got around to testing with a mechanical gauge; water temp @ 160F it idles at 40 PSI, and at high RPM's (apx. 2,600) it's at about 70 PSI.
I got a new sending unit on order, and the trucks running great.

Krink545

Thats good to hear.
I need to put a mechanical gauge on my M923 with the 250 Cummins. It reads about the same as yours. I hope its just a sending unit or gauge.

buddy_holly

Could a bad rear main seal cause low oil pressure? I'm trying to put the puzzle pieces together. My oil pressure gauge has always read low but it would move according to RPM. Recently though it sits at almost nothing, topping out around 10-15 psi when I'm up to road speed. I also have a leak I haven't been able to determine yet and it seems to be coming from right around the bell housing. The curious thing is that I always check the engine oil and the gearboxes; everything is perfect. I'm worried and hoping it's not what I'm afraid it is. Thoughts?

YOUNG GUN

My advise would be to go buy a $20 mechanical gauge from the auto parts store and hook it up.
This is what I did and determined that my oil pressure was fine, then replaced my sending unit.
Problem solved.
Hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks