• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3116 Oil Pressure Help

buddy_holly

UPDATE: So I picked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge today and hooked it up to the engine. It read 35 psi at start and then over the course of 25 minutes idling the gauge slowly dropped to 14 psi. Which is more or less what the small gauge in the dash does. So is low oil pressure just "Deuce Normal"? What could account for that slow fade in psi? Can a sending unit or gauge wear out and read low but not completely fail? Or does this sound like an issue I haven't even considered yet, such as a worn oil pressure regulator or something else?

There also is that oil leak coming from the fording plug on the bell housing but it didn't do that today, maybe shrinking/swelling rear main seal perhaps? A related problem or just coincidental? The motor has 400ish hours on it, is that young for these? And if so, would a young motor already be having main bearing/crank/rod issues? I'd like to have as much input as possible from you guys who've been caring for these things longer than I have before I go adding some kind of stop leak/seal repair junk and chasing my uneducated hunches.

YOUNG GUN

Something still doesn't seem right IMO.

With the new sending unit in mine, it reads 30psi @ 750rpm (idle), and 60psi @ 2500rpm; this of course is at operating temp (160F).

If it were my truck, I think I'd replace the sending unit and the gauge at this point just to rule those completely out, then move onto the next step, which unfortunately I'm not sure what that is.

I got my new sender from Erik's, and I think he has the gauge as well; Less than $100 for both if I remember correctly.

Have you checked for diesel in your engine oil yet?

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

YOUNG GUN

14psi at idle is fine, dont worry about it as long as pressure goes up with rpm.

The TM's state 35-70psi for oil pressure and it's the only information I have to go on.

I'm just curious as to how it's normal/fine to run at half of the minimum oil pressure stated in the -10.

Please advise.

Reactions: HDN