• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

33' spare wont fit

bbbang

I am in the same boat with the 33" tires. I am either going to buy or fabricate an outside spare tire carrier on the back, on the m1009 but I want it to swing to the side or drop down so I can use the tailgate. I added a receiver hitch and am going to use it as the basis for my tire carrier. I like this tiregate model but it is very pricy. TireGate Tailgate Tire Carrier

This one is a lot less, if you want to fabricate your own unit, should you choose to go this route.
Universal Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier

ABN173

I have seen people that just take the mount portion from the rear of the truck and weld it along with a plate to the front brush guard, I have also seen hunting style racks get mounter to the roof of the M1009 with the spare stored up there. Good luck and post pics of your solution.

-Dale

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in the same boat with the 33" tires. I am either going to buy or fabricate an outside spare tire carrier on the back, on the m1009 but I want it to swing to the side or drop down so I can use the tailgate. I added a receiver hitch and am going to use it as the basis for my tire carrier. I like this tiregate model but it is very pricy. TireGate Tailgate Tire Carrier

This one is a lot less, if you want to fabricate your own unit, should you choose to go this route.
Universal Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier
33" tires mounted on the tailgate is getting up there for weight! If you want the tire to swing out of the way BBBang has the best idea unless you fab something yourself. I dont like having the tires on the receiver as you cant open the tailgate without tire removal, and the front mount would block air flow to the radiator.

Just my 2cents

Well I found the solution today. I had to have my friend push the tire forward closed the tailgait and then we locked it down. The lock plate thing is now off center but works fine. I will post some pictures of it later. I took the 1009 to the local airshow today.

cucv1833

Well I found the solution today. I had to have my friend push the tire forward closed the tailgait and then we locked it down. The lock plate thing is now off center but works fine. I will post some pictures of it later. I took the 1009 to the local airshow today.

I had the same problem when I installed my 33" spare in the back. Kinda did the same thing.

My mounting bolts are not through the bracket holes. The mounting bracket holes are forward of the threaded holes and only clamped down by the large washers.

Its also wedged in between my tool box and the mounting bracket. Works fine for me.

cucv1833

Any Pics???
No pics Maybe when I get home in 2-months:(

I have a plano plastic tool box centered. The tire is between that and the mount. It was a temp. fix but I think it will stay like that. By pushing the whole bracket forward it moved it 1.5-2" Its wedged in there tight between the seat,tail gate and tool