• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

37 inch hummer tires on 1008

Croatan_Kid

You don't have to really as long as you run a narrower rim with close to stock backspacing. However, if you prefer to lift it (I would) 4 inches would do very nicely. I run 11.00R-16 Michelins with 4 inches of lift and aftermarket wheels, I have also trimmed the fenders.

ida34

Something must have been really wrong to need that much weight. I would not go back to that tire shop again. I noticed that some regular computer wheel balancers get really confused when you try to balance large tires like the humvee tires. Did you have any vibration after the mounting and balance?

AJMBLAZER

That was more of Alfa's handywork. Several of us that bought CUCV's and M880 series from them with the HMMWV tires have had issues with their "balance" job.

To be fair the 36x12.5-16.5 Goodyear RT/II's aren't known for being true...or even round...maybe pear shaped...oblong?

Not my problem anymore as they've been gone for almost a year now and the Michelins have more Airsoft BB's in them than I need. Straight and true down the road...smooth like butta...

Croatan_Kid

I second the Michelins! Very nice tires and very capable for what tread pattern they have....or course, you have the cool looking XLs and I have the XZLs. Cough..yousuck..cough :D

When I switched rims, you can see in the close up pictures that I actually balanced mine and they did pretty good, especially on the ProComp rims. The stockers must have been bent or warped or something because I couldn't balance them on those rims!

AJMBLAZER

IGI said:
My M1008 mounts the 9.00-16 without any modifications :) :)
Unfortunately those are rare as hens teeth here. The 11.00R16's are rare enough but the 9.00R16's were never used by the US military so they're few and far between now. I looked for a set for over a month and found my 11.00R16's in about a day.

Croatan, just got some 16x7 aluminum wheels off of a GM 2500 HD this weekend. 8) Don't tell the wife. :wink:
Going to have them blasted and then painted a nice black.

gocmndo

I have the Goodyear MT 37 X 12.5 X 16.5 on steel rock crawlers and a 4" lift. I will need to trim more if I get crazy off road but they have yet to rub on the road.
Great tire and very quiet for the size and tread.

Croatan_Kid

These trucks look so awesome with a small lift and some 37-39" tires!

AJM: I originally wanted some HD rims, but I figured I would just use the ProComps because I already had them.

AJMBLAZER

I was happy with my steelies but originally wanted a set of these. The cheapest I could find was $250 and that was just out of my range at the time. Got these for $60 at a Jeep event (friend has a jeep) on Saturday...yeah...the wife doesn't know yet...shhhhh...

I'm so happy with the way mine moves and drives now I'm contemplating never doing a true lift with it. Space the front axle forwards, replace the shackles and bushings, maybe the front hanger mount...and that's about it. Oh, good shocks too.

Bighurt

Do you have to use the humvee rims with the 37 inch tires? or will any 16.5 inch rim do?
I used to get 85% remaining 37" Goodyear MT HMMWV tires for my 98 chevy. I used aluminum 9.75x16.5 rims no problem.

In fact used tires are easier to mount that new, I also used equal rather than weights. Radials are pretty true, Bias ply's usually have a funny shape, Goodyear MT's are radials so you shouldn't be an issue.

As for lift I wouldn't go more than 4" without new rear leaf packs. 4" should clear a respectable wheel tire combo without drawing attention like the look how big I am trucks in SoCal... LOL

I have a set of 8 bolt M998 wheels I hope to mount up the 36" bias ply HMMWV wheels to, if and when I get a M1008 or equivalent.

True Knight

As for lift I wouldn't go more than 4" without new rear leaf packs. 4" should clear a respectable wheel tire combo without drawing attention like the look how big I am trucks in SoCal... LOL
Very true. I get more looks and more little kids telling me 'i like your truck' with my 4" lift and 37's. And the best part, this truck is actually used as a truck, hauling whatever i might need to take to the dump, and it goes many places that I have seen many other trucks fail to go. And for a fraction of the cost of all these 'pretty trucks' with $8,000 rims and tires that will never see more dirt than the puddle at the end of the driveway.

Attachments

MudderMilitia

I used to get 85% remaining 37" Goodyear MT HMMWV tires for my 98 chevy. I used aluminum 9.75x16.5 rims no problem.

In fact used tires are easier to mount that new, I also used equal rather than weights. Radials are pretty true, Bias ply's usually have a funny shape, Goodyear MT's are radials so you shouldn't be an issue.

I have a set of 8 bolt M998 wheels I hope to mount up the 36" bias ply HMMWV wheels to, if and when I get a M1008 or equivalent.
My set of 37" hummer tires wouldn't balance for ****! I had a shop balance them with equal