• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

37x 12.50R 17 tire upgrade on CUCV

Skinny

Is that a thing? I know you could get a custom spring but I've never seen an off the shelf one for a square Chevy.

Plenty of Toyota SAS springs are like that but I never saw in for this application unless you did rears up front.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Skinny

What are they selling these days? I bought my front springs a few years ago. Think they were Tuff Country. Factory replacements but no idea where the center pin sits in relation to OEM.

I think he also sells Alcans? I would assume those are pushed forwards.

My Burb has his 4" front springs and I redrilled 1" forward. Nice firewall clearance. I should have done that before trimming on my CUCV. The M1031 has stock steering so I haven't done it yet.

SuperAwesomeDOOD

What are they selling these days? I bought my front springs a few years ago. Think they were Tuff Country. Factory replacements but no idea where the center pin sits in relation to OEM.

I think he also sells Alcans? I would assume those are pushed forwards.

My Burb has his 4" front springs and I redrilled 1" forward. Nice firewall clearance. I should have done that before trimming on my CUCV. The M1031 has stock steering so I haven't done it yet.

The ORD customs are made by Alcan.

Skinny

Gotcha

Mine arent the custom ones. I'm pretty sure the axle location is stock.

I had a solid axle Toyota and I think the suspension was like 3 or 4" forwards. Its the only way to keep big tires out of the sheetmetal.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

mtperkins

Lucky for me this fender cutting didn't cost me anything but time.

At this point I only have one front fender cut. Which was a junkyard fender so I can go back to the OEM fenders.

Not gonna lie it was a lot of cutting, figuring and then cutting and rewelding.

But, I'm glad you brought this up. It would be interesting to see.

Matt S

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ouch

I fit 37's by just notching the lower rear corner of the fender.

Also, the best mod you can do is redrill the front spring perch forward an inch. It does require crossover steering and maybe an extended driveshaft but it eliminates hacking the fender to pieces with 37's.

Are you using 4" or 6" of lift with the movement forward? Do you ever stuff the tires in the fenders or just mostly stay on the street?

I'm thinking of 37s but didn't want to cut the fenders.

Skinny

I use 4" loft springs that ORD sells which I think are Tuff Country? I had the Goodyear MTs on a wide rim which I think came off of a Ford. They are the widest and most offset that probably ever came from the factory for a 16.5" rim..

You will need to trim unless you have stiff springs and dont steer. The ORD springs are very flexy. They have really great travel for leaf springs. You will need to trim for offroad use.

You can fit a 35x12.5 with really no trimming. Heavier offset will hurt you but they do fit with bumping the axle forward an inch.

Ilikemtb999

I guess if it’s only seeing pavement or never flexing much than that big of a tire will fit without rubbing. My 35” tires rubbed the cab side when fully flexed with a 2” lift. I had to trim trim trim and even then it’ll still contact if I’m also full locked and stuffed.

mtperkins

It's my farm truck and spare when the Silverado is broken. I plan to lift it. But for now I needed a little better cruise speed for my 22 mile each way commute to work on the days my POS other truck is apart.

I just don't have the money to lift it yet. I had the extra cheaper fenders to cut. Kept the OEM originals for later . Got the rims on sale and bought the tires on credit.

LT67

It's my farm truck and spare when the Silverado is broken. I plan to lift it. But for now I needed a little better cruise speed for my 22 mile each way commute to work on the days my POS other truck is apart.

I just don't have the money to lift it yet. I had the extra cheaper fenders to cut. Kept the OEM originals for later . Got the rims on sale and bought the tires on credit.
I threw a set of KM2 255 85 16 on my 86 M1008. On the days where the work drive is country highway and no interstates, I drive it instead of my Duramax truck. It sees 55-57mph quite often. It has a new harmonic balancer, lift pump and rebuilt injection pump. I drive the fool out of that truck lol

mtperkins

Looks pretty good.

I got my tires all on. My left front tire rubs the steering arm when I turn left. Guess i need to adjust the steering limit stoppers. It's been another year and i haven't drove the poor truck.

My family is selling the farm and I am thinking of moving out of state... So everything is up in the air.

A local guy keeps stopping in trying to buy my Texas rust free cab i have in the driveway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks