• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

3D Printed Door Wire Guides

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wiring harness that goes into my doors, for the clearance marker light, had these little curved plastic tubes on them. Well, one door did, the other was gone. And then the other one got broken... uh oh. So I decided to try 3D printing a replacement. The originals are put on the wires before the connectors are put on, so you can't get them off (without Dremelling up the seam to split it off). These new ones are made in two parts, and can be put on without taking off the connectors.

Listed in the -24P manual as: PAOZZ 19207 12420515 .SEAL,NONMETALLIC,SP

This is just the first version, but I'll make some changes and print another.

20200709_113836.jpg
20200709_181621.jpg

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look pretty nifty. Great use of a printer. I am slowly making more plans to use mine around the house and Humvee. (I should, it cost enough!)
Bulldogger

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look pretty nifty. Great use of a printer. I am slowly making more plans to use mine around the house and Humvee. (I should, it cost enough!)
Bulldogger
If this is the first one of my posts you've seen, I make a ton of 3D printed stuff for FMTVs... door handles, tachometer pods, inclinometer mounts, seal drivers, hub setup tools, etc.

The Army announced several months ago that they will be making a big effort to get 3D printing out to units. Some of it is overhyped (and just as the civilian world 3D printing hype is finally dying down and becoming more realistic, now the Army has "3D print everything" fever). https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...dvanced-manufacturing-to-troops-in-the-field/

However, if we look at how these trucks arrive to us after soldiers have abused them, there are a lot of opportunities. They come with missing/broken door handles, heater knobs, switch housings, wire clamps, little plastic bushings on the door lock operating rods, etc. While 3D printing isn't going to make them a piston (like the hype suggests), there are a 1000 everyday soldier problems that can be solved with even a cheap $1000 printer.

ramdough

I will need some..... I think mine are just using wire loom.

Do you have a catalog of things you make? I bet you make parts I need that I don’t know you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a catalog of things you make? I bet you make parts I need that I don’t know you have.
I don't. I've been working on putting together a little online store, but that takes time too and time is the thing in shortest supply. I still have to finish up the design for the cab bushing master patterns, but I wanted to get these wire guards done quick before the wires got damaged.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If this is the first one of my posts you've seen, I make a ton of 3D printed stuff for FMTVs... door handles, tachometer pods, inclinometer mounts, seal drivers, hub setup tools, etc.

The Army announced several months ago that they will be making a big effort to get 3D printing out to units. Some of it is overhyped (and just as the civilian world 3D printing hype is finally dying down and becoming more realistic, now the Army has "3D print everything" fever). https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...dvanced-manufacturing-to-troops-in-the-field/

However, if we look at how these trucks arrive to us after soldiers have abused them, there are a lot of opportunities. They come with missing/broken door handles, heater knobs, switch housings, wire clamps, little plastic bushings on the door lock operating rods, etc. While 3D printing isn't going to make them a piston (like the hype suggests), there are a 1000 everyday soldier problems that can be solved with even a cheap $1000 printer.
Not my first time noticing you. We've posted back and forth before and I respect your work.
I've printed a couple of things, and am still hoping I can come up with something to market for HMMWVs or other MV that will help me offset the cost of my commercial machine. Not that I have to, I just feel like it should be running every day, since they rate it at 100% duty cycle.

I've followed posts from the Navy and Marines on adding 3D printing to their stock system, particularly Mechanicsburg has made significant investments in it. The tech is wonderful to scan old obsolete parts and be able to keep ships, planes and vehicles supplied with spares where previously they might have to cannibalize or decommission early.

BDGR

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After a couple revisions, I finished up a version that works really well. The plastic wire guides come in two halves, so you can install them right over the wires without needing to feed them over the connectors, and are clipped together with external snap rings.

The original wire guides are installed on the wires "permanently", and you can't get them off over the connectors. You have to carefully cut the wire guards off to remove them - I used a dremel, and cut along the seam.

Attachments

coachgeo

After a couple revisions, I finished up a version that works really well. The plastic wire guides come in two halves, so you can install them right over the wires without needing to feed them over the connectors, and are clipped together with external snap rings.

The original wire guides are installed on the wires "permanently", and you can't get them off over the connectors. You have to carefully cut the wire guards off to remove them - I used a dremel, and cut along the seam.
this is A1?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
this is A1?
Do your door wires not have the plastic guard tubes on them? I'm curious how many people's are broke and gone. They all should have had them. One of mine was gone, and the other was broken and slid down the wire to hide it inside the dash.

coachgeo

No, those are on the A0 door wiring harness (the picture is from the A0 manual).
ahhh.. upon closer look.. looks like they and the light on the door were eliminated on the A1 or at same late point on the A0

guess that leaves another option for you Guido ..... make a plastic plate with some nice logo orr?? and back that is designed to hold a gasket then folk can just replace the door light with that and not worry about wires anymore.

granted thinking about this.... another option is to offer along with the tube a small wire harness that turns that door light ALSO into a turn signal... though maybe it is still to high up for a car beside you to see ???

Last edited:

shotty

3d printers are great. I was rebuilding the np208 in my CUCV yesterday and noticed I was missing some part hay would keep the o ring on the shift lever in place. Printed one up and now that seal isn't going anywhere. No clue what the original part was like but it couldn't have been much different.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ahhh.. upon closer look.. looks like they and the light on the door were eliminated on the A1 or at same late point on the A0

guess that leaves another option for you Guido ..... make a plastic plate with some nice logo orr?? and back that is designed to hold a gasket then folk can just replace the door light with that and not worry about wires anymore.

granted thinking about this.... another option is to offer along with the tube a small wire harness that turns that door light ALSO into a turn signal... though maybe it is still to high up for a car beside you to see ???
I'm confused about what you're saying. I've actually put A1 doors on mine, so my A1 doors have the marker light just like my A0 doors did.

coachgeo

I'm confused about what you're saying. I've actually put A1 doors on mine, so my A1 doors have the marker light just like my A0 doors did.
just went back thru the sold pics again. and .... looks like the A1's with large TriMark door handle are the ones with no light...... Not sure how some a1's have the old handles..... maybe they are the first A1's with the 3126?? and the newest of the A1's with no light (and shark grill) are the C7's. Interesingly saw a few pics as far back as 2002 A1's that had the no light door (with big handle)... maybe those were retrofit doors though?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just went back thru the sold pics again. and .... looks like the A1's with large TriMark door handle are the ones with no light...... Not sure how some a1's have the old handles..... maybe they are the first A1's with the 3126?? and the newest of the A1's with no light (and shark grill) are the C7's. Interesingly saw a few pics as far back as 2002 A1's that had the no light door (with big handle)... maybe those were retrofit doors though?
My doors, which I assume are from an A1 but I guess I have no way to prove, have the side-opening handles and the marker lights.
20190310_162855.jpg

coachgeo

curious if the A1 doors that are factory w/out the running light have the hole for the wire protection tube? if they do your product would be great up grade for them to use for when they add an electric heated/motorized mirrors from a different truck as is becoming more common for those building expedition type rigs.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
curious if the A1 doors that are factory w/out the light have the hole for the wire protection tube? Your product would be great up grade for them to use if it does when they add an electric heated/motorized mirrors from a different truck.
That's a good question. I hadn't even thought about whether different doors had the marker light or not until you mentioned it. I just knew that mine did, and the wire guards were broken and the wires were getting munched and mangled.

Ronmar

Yep, no/shredded guards on mine, had a short that took out the marker light fuse... nice 3d application! I was going to build a curved plate/bracket that extends into the hole and lay the wires on that and heat-shrink them in place...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks