3D Printed Seal Driver

WhoMe08721

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That price is crazy for them. At a 100% infill that part would only cost $10.00. The brass threaded inserts could only cost $10.00 too at most. For that price you can buy a Creality Ender 3 3D Printer when there on sale and make your own and so much more.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That price is crazy for them. At a 100% infill that part would only cost $10.00. The brass threaded inserts could only cost $10.00 too at most. For that price you can buy a Creality Ender 3 3D Printer when there on sale and make your own and so much more.
For me, I've calculated that 3D prints cost me about $2/hr to make (on hobbyist level 3D printers), including typical filaments, but not including design time, extra hardware (e.g. threaded inserts, fasteners, etc.), or if I have to remove a ton of supports.

Making quality designs takes a lot of time and money.
  1. There are many hours spent designing, prototyping, testing, refining designs, etc., then the associated costs of those prototype materials (e.g. printing several iterations).
  2. You often have to buy items (e.g. mirrors, seals, etc.) so that you can measure them accurately and check fit.
  3. The cost of discarding or reworking parts that don't meet quality standards.
  4. Then you have to buy the printer, absorb the learning curve labor of the printer, account for the mainenance/lifespan of the printer, etc.
  5. If you need Helicoil tools, or other special tools, those often cost hundreds of dollars (e.g. $144 tapping threaded insert installer, $322 Helicoil installer, etc.)
  6. You need to account for packaging costs (e.g. printer toner to print manuals, cardboard boxes, packing tape, labels, bubble wrap, plastic zipper bags for fasteners, etc.).
So yes, it takes $20 of materials to make that part, but labor, extras, and $1000 (?) of equipment too, so you don't get it for $20. Many may seem silly (e.g. "Who cares about a $0.10 label, a $1 box, or some Windex sprayed on the bed of the printer?"), but I go through hundreds of dollars of this kind of stuff per month.

Last edited:

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For me, I've calculated that 3D prints cost me about $2/hr to make (on hobbyist level 3D printers), including typical filaments, but not including design time, extra hardware (e.g. threaded inserts, fasteners, etc.), or if I have to remove a ton of supports.

Making quality designs takes a lot of time and money.
  1. There are many hours spent designing, prototyping, testing, refining designs, etc., then the associated costs of those prototype materials (e.g. printing several iterations).
  2. You often have to buy items (e.g. mirrors, seals, etc.) so that you can measure them accurately and check fit.
  3. The cost of discarding or reworking parts that don't meet quality standards.
  4. Then you have to buy the printer, absorb the learning curve labor of the printer, account for the mainenance/lifespan of the printer, etc.
  5. If you need Helicoil tools, or other special tools, those often cost hundreds of dollars (e.g. $144 tapping threaded insert installer, $322 Helicoil installer, etc.)
  6. You need to account for packaging costs (e.g. printer toner to print manuals, cardboard boxes, packing tape, labels, bubble wrap, plastic zipper bags for fasteners, etc.).
So yes, it takes $20 of materials to make that part, but labor, extras, and $1000 (?) of equipment too, so you don't get it for $20. Many may seem silly (e.g. "Who cares about a $0.10 label, a $1 box, or some Windex sprayed on the bed of the printer?"), but I go through hundreds of dollars of this kind of stuff per month.
Excellent observations. My own experiences corroborate these costs and figures. Still, I enjoy this problem solving, and for me there is plenty of learning going on, which I value for the inspiration and challenges it presents.

I expect even if I focused on additive manufacturing and ran my printer hard, it would never pay for itself as a hobby interest. But I will keep at it, because I enjoy it.

BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks