• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

$4 a gallon!

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went by the station I snapped a pic of earlier, today it is at $4.49! There were only 3 people at that station, the one acroos the street was packed.

Blood_of_Tyrants

m16ty said:
There's a local guy that started running WVO in his Dodge Cummins. After a few tank fulls this truck won't hardly start anymore without either ( even in warm temps on strait diesel). This has given me some reservations about running WVO in anything but a mulitfuel. Anybody have any idea what he did wrong?

Blood_of_tyrants, Was your 50/50 mix of motor oil and gas run in the mulitfuel or another engine. I know the oil/gas mix will run in the mulitfuel but I don't know about a CUCV.
The WVO probalby contains some animal fats that have solidified. Tell him to put about a quart of mineral spirits in with the next tank and it might dissove the fats and restore his performance.

As for the 50/50 used motor oil and gasoline, I run it in my deuce. The fuel density compensator has been bypassed but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Blythewoodjoe

tjcouch said:
In the case of gasoline consumers are now at the point where they are looking for ways to conserve. Any further increase in price will result in consumers burning less fuel, and thus, a decrease in revenue for the energy industry. (People will drive less, carpool, mass transit, etc.)
I am a babbling idot. So here's a theory I have had for a while. The people that make the big decisions (put who ever you want in for this one) know that the only way to get Americans (as they said on SNL "oil guzzling ham faces") to use less fuel is to raise the price. Therefore to get Americans to be more fuel efficent in their behavior is to make fuel more costly. Now I may not be right, but look around. We are doing things to use less fuel. How many of us are looking to alternative fuels. People are putting effort into developing alternative fuel sources. I myself am thinking long and hard about a centrafuge (did I spell that right? I can't get spell check to work any more) that would allow me to use some low cost used motor oil in my diesell vehicles.

Just a thougt, back to reality.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Wow:
I know that this will certainly be impacting my thoughts of taking retirement. With all the trucks we have that burn diesel I am thinking of mining old home heating oil tanks in the area. That way I could set up a small refinery in my back yard and refine it to refresh it. I am hoping to get as good milage as I can on our trip up next week but the bottom line is we will all have to buy fuel for our trucks no matter what price it goes to.

Yeah I agree about algore he is a kook.

I wish the prices were as low here as in the States!

We pay 1,30 Euros (1,99 Dollars) for the liter diesel. Thats around 7,50 Dollars for the gallon. That hurts, if you can't feed the truck with transformer oil or other alternatives :)

Mark

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, it's the sudden increase that hurts, imagine your fuel price doubling within a couple of years....it's not unusual to spend $1,000/month on fuel here, that's more than most mortgage (house) payments. Wages can't keep up with it.

Blood_of_Tyrants

[quote="Blythewood]I myself am thinking long and hard about a centrafuge (did I spell that right? [/quote]

Nope. It is centrifuge. Get Mozilla Firefox. It has a built in spell checker.

I've been thinking about it, too. But I would have to do a lot more driving to justify it.

Also, I believe that fuel prices in Europe have followed our prices. Before 2004 (when gas started it's upward climb and the dollar went down), gas was about $0.75 a liter and now it has easily doubled. Also, in a lot of European countries the tax on gas is a PERCENTAGE of the price instead of a flat rate/gal like it is in the US.

The only GOOD thing about high oil prices is that it makes the entrepreneurs start thinking about alternate fuels. For example, the Nazis developed a method of making diesel from coal gasification. The higher prices of oil make that process viable. People are looking at biodiesel made out of waste vegetable oil. A certain type of algae promises huge amounts of biodiesel per acre of water.

We'll eventually find an alternative source of power, but the interim process is going to be painful.

kieote

I don't know how much it affects the cost but i have heard that diesel goes up in the winter due to the fact that some heaters use the oil. But ya blame the gov for the most part, they could cap the prices, and maybe also fix the recession. All the poor people that have to choose pay for thier house or their gas.

I know it can be a touchy subject on this site about moding these trucks but i have also heard that the TH400 transmission can be directly swaped with a 700R4 which would give you another gear on your tranny. It should only cost about $1500 and at $4 a gallon should pay for its self in about a year (depending on the gearing). Or maybe just turbo it its a grand more but you can do it in your driveway in a weekend.

Blood_of_Tyrants

kieote said:
I don't know how much it affects the cost but i have heard that diesel goes up in the winter due to the fact that some heaters use the oil. But ya blame the gov for the most part, they could cap the prices, and maybe also fix the recession. All the poor people that have to choose pay for thier house or their gas.
The government mandating what gas prics will is the absolute WRONG thing to do. If you tell oil companies that they can only sell gas for $2 a gallon and it costs them $2.25 a gallon to produce it, they will simply stop making gas.

Where else in the world to "poor people" own a house and a car? They will adjust as they have to, just like the rest of us. When the weather warms, I'll ride my motorcycle and let my wife drive my civic and let the minivan set more.

jim-m35a2

4.00 per gallon

It doesn't make any difference what alternative fuels they come up with by the time Michigan is done taxing the Sh*t out of it, 4.00 per gallon would be cheap.

What ever happened to the oil from the Alaska Pipeline that was suppose to make us oil independent? They are piping it on to tankers and selling it to Japan.
________
Willys

Last edited:

beaubeau

RE: 4.00 per gallon

My theory behind all this is the fact that "The powers to be", wether political or Commercial Oil Cos. , the price of oil and gas abroad has always been higher than the good oll USof A. Now for a country of welth like USA, to be purchasing gas and oil less than our neighbors abroad is Stupid! We americans will pay the price until we have no more money!
The govt supports oil Co, in more ways than one. Who do U think donates all the moneys to the political people who is running for a seat, any Seat!!??
I used to be an Over the Road trucker and bought as much as 600 gal of fuel a day. Am I glad to be off the road!! What do U think these oil prices will do to any Merchandise we will be buying in the future!?? Good Luck all, Phil

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: 4.00 per gallon

On using a centrifuge to filter (or separate the junk from the good) used motor oil, what type of centrifuge should I look for? A lab type centrifuge? What models do you waste motor oil people use?

area52

Let me chime in with my .02 cents:

Waste motor oil - I would advise against running it unless you filter it pretty good with filters or a centrifuge. The small pieces of metal in there can and will mess your injectors up.

I am planning on running a Diesel Craft or Spinner II cetrifuge as soon as I get my shop built. Look on this site for alternative fuels: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751

there are alot of good threads on the centrifuges.

As far as the demand for diesel: - think of all the large industrial machines that run on diesel - ships, generators, trains... I would think they run more diesel than regular cars use gas but I am just guessing.

madsam

RE: $4.00 a gallon

As an ex trucker. Everything comes on a truck, if not two or three by the time it gets to the store it was bought in. Even train cargo goes on a truck at the end to get it to the store. So the price of diesel fuel directly affect the cost of everything. My opinion is that there are many people, lets call them tree huggers, who hate big trucks and are glad to see the price go up thinking "it served them right". And some of them are in high positions so they won't do anything or allow drilling in some places. Of coarse they wonder why their Goochi shoes go up in price. Just my opinion.

beaubeau

Fuel Exploring!

:ditto: Does anyone really have the facts on the Oil that comes out of Alaska? Does it really get Exported to other countries other than the U.S.? I do not think that is right, especially with what is happening here. Why , with the High Proffits reported by oil Co. , does the Govt. continue to Subsidize these Bandits!?? Anyone in business knows to reinvest as much Proffits as possible to avoid paying high taxes, so even after all the Reinvestments, these oil Co. still show these Hi Proffits!!
Only in America!! :cookoo: Phil

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks