• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel drive low going forward or reverse which is better for pulling ?

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All,
I searched the forum and didn't find anything about this. My question is if you have to pull someone out from being stuck is there any difference if you pull them where you are going forward or pull them where you are going in reverse? I have a stock 1986 M1009.
Just wondered which way would have more power to really get someone unstuck? I assume going forward but we all know what happens when you assume. LOL
Thanks for the input

kblazer87

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock first gear ration for the M1009 is 2.48 to 1 and reverse is 2.07 to 1, so all things equal more power is available pulling from the rear.

cucvrus

I was told by the transmission shop that you should not work any automatic transmission in reverse. It seemed easy enough to follow them instructions. So I never questioned him further and investigayed any further. I just live by it. It made sense. Stick shift different story.

blueblaze

With an automatic the torque converter actually multiplies your ratios by 1.5 and even 2 times in low gear. From a physics point of view, say someone was stuck in a ditch, I would hook myself up in the front and use reverse. When the strap is fully extended when snatching the stuck vehicle, it would pull the front end down, therefore capitalizing on the traction had by the front axle with engine weight etc. With the front end forced down right at the point where the strap gets tight, the wheels will get more downward force creating more traction. In my opinion the rear end of a truck has almost no traction anyways, especially if you have any diesel, plow or anything else weight bearing on the front end. Everyone has seen their neighbor with the 2wd diesel who cant even get out of the driveway with 2 inches of snow.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can see better out the front, so to me that's better.

4Low is chock-full of torque as it is. If the truck doesn't have enough torque in 4Low going forward to do the job, you need a bigger tow vehicle.

Kaiserjeeps

Yes pull forward in low range. Ring and pinion gears are 20 percent weaker on the coast side of the ring gear tooth. The rear axle gear set is usually bigger than the front anyways. That's where the most strain will be pulling forward. Mays well give the work to the strongest parts.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have broken front axles doing the backwards thing. If possible (it isn't always) I recover going forward.

KsM715

Along with the gears being stronger while pulling from the rear, there's also a lot more crap for the hook or chain to go thru before it gets to you should something go wrong and things start flying around

nyoffroad

I agree about pulling from the rear and going forward, but I've noticed that it seems my truck(s) have better traction in reverse. With that being said I've done both in HI and LO.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Along with the gears being stronger while pulling from the rear, there's also a lot more crap for the hook or chain to go thru before it gets to you should something go wrong and things start flying around
Less chance of taking out the radiator pulling from the rear when things let loose also.

Indyharleyguy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks all. I like the idea of more things for a strap to go through and not hitting the radiator when puling from the rear. That's my plan from now on.

jpg

I find it useful to be able to steer, both during and after the pull. Pulling from the front dramatically reduces your ability to steer, and massively increases the strain on your steering mechanisms. Pulling from the rear focuses any lateral strain on the rear axle, without involving all that vulnerable and relatively fragile steering gear.