• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

4 wheel drive not engaging

SmokeyBobber

ok! SOME of you guys are *******s. i wheeled the duece in low gears while being very conscious of my surroundings. i would then leave it at my friends house right next to where we all go wheelin. dont forget i have an E-brake and can downshift. but regardless brakes are very important and i just picked up a new master cylinder. but in the meantime its not going anywhere until i fix the brakes and the 4 wheel drive problem.

I HAVE AIRSHIFT BY THE WAY

PS- the wheeling spot is not even a 1/4 mile down this back road that no1 drives. there are also no stop signs or stop lights. some of you need to chill out. i would just like to figure out whats wrong with the 4 wheel. any help or input is greatly appreciated:grd:

steelandcanvas

ok! SOME of you guys are *******s. i wheeled the duece in low gears while being very conscious of my surroundings. i would then leave it at my friends house right next to where we all go wheelin. dont forget i have an E-brake and can downshift. but regardless brakes are very important and i just picked up a new master cylinder. but in the meantime its not going anywhere until i fix the brakes and the 4 wheel drive problem.

I HAVE AIRSHIFT BY THE WAY

PS- the wheeling spot is not even a 1/4 mile down this back road that no1 drives. there are also no stop signs or stop lights. some of you need to chill out. i would just like to figure out whats wrong with the 4 wheel. any help or input is greatly appreciated:grd:
Are you sure it's not 6 wheel drive?;-)

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could be several things causing your problem. Could be no air supply to the t-case, broken axle, t-case air cylinder not working, or a broken t-case. Does the front driveshaft turn while moving with the front axle disengaged? If not then your problem is in your front end.

SmokeyBobber

okk yaa. my air pressure fluctuates between 90 and 120. the compressor works thats not a problem. how do i know if i have a cracked airline? i dont hear any leaks. i think...

SmokeyBobber

yaa i thought soo... its gonna suck because everything is covered in mud. i have it on a lift so its no problem. ill check the lines to see if there cracked tomm. would i hear a leak?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
yaa i thought soo... its gonna suck because everything is covered in mud. i have it on a lift so its no problem. ill check the lines to see if there cracked tomm. would i hear a leak?
Most likely, yes.

When you accuate the transfer case switch and then turn it off can you hear it purge air?

oldshep

Find leaks with soapy water. Works well. Blows a bubble if a leaks present. Pour the soapy water around the connections especially. Can hear a slight thud when u hit the air switch? My truck does this. good luck. and no, i wont bash you about your brakes:twisted:

tm america

when the four wheel drive is not working try to turn the front drive shaft if it turns your problem is in the front axle.if it doesnt your problem is in the transfer case or air actuator.sounds like you are good to the switch so look at the hose going down to the actuator .if the drive shaft doesnt turn with the tires sitting on the ground jack up the front lock it in and see if you can turn the drive shaft . you should feel it if something is broken in the t-case or hear an air leak .you also might have smashed the air line to it thus cutting off the air supply to the actuator

mudguppy

i don't think so; there's some slop in my front shaft.

to the others: what does the air actuator actually actuate :)roll:) ?? meaning, is there a shift fork that could get bent and prevent the front axle from fully engaging?

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial

to the others: what does the air actuator actually actuate :)roll:) ?? meaning, is there a shift fork that could get bent and prevent the front axle from fully engaging?
An air actuated solenoid on the front of the transfercase that engages the front axle.

stumps

For the answer to this question and many more, go to the resources section and download the manuals: TM-9-2520-246-34 and TM-9-2520-246-34P.

The transfer case has a shifter fork that is driven by the air cylinder. It uses what appears to be a dog clutch to lock the transfer case into front wheel drive operation. It might not be able to lock unless the drive shaft is turned a little bit.

On the subject of drive shaft play, yes there should be quite a lot, probably 10 to 15 degrees. Maybe as much as 30 degrees. What you are seeing is gear slop, dog slop, and hopefully only a very tiny amount of spline slop and U-joint slop.

-Chuck

Last edited: